Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Philips was a healthy scratch several times last year. Vrabel just didn’t like him for whatever reason.
Still don’t get the love for this guy. Maybe Callahan can bring the best out of him, but there’s a reason he hasn’t seen the field he’s just a training camp warrior. come game time he does nothing, he’s hurt or fumbles the ball when given the chance to play.

Still don’t get the love for this guy. Maybe Callahan can bring the best out of him, but there’s a reason he hasn’t seen the field he’s just a training camp warrior. come game time he does nothing, he’s hurt or fumbles the ball when given the chance to play.
I’m gonna guess this is where the love comes from.

titans are a WR poverty franchise, we all know this. Phillips was an unknown commodity and shows out his first game with 6 catches. Comparably for the franchise, That’s probably among the top in TN.
He had a couple lower weeks but ultimately was injured after showing regular season, not preseason, promise.
Last year he showed up a few weeks and played ok but still leaves that first game “potential” in question, can he be a regular stud slot guy?

I personally have that same feeling about lack of health, how much time is he gonna be given. Titans actually have what looks like a WR room around and I think that might push Phillips out. It would be a shame if he shows up elsewhere as a true slot guy just because Vrabel didn’t really give him a chance.

titans are a WR poverty franchise, we all know this. Phillips was an unknown commodity and shows out his first game with 6 catches. Comparably for the franchise, That’s probably among the top in TN.
He had a couple lower weeks but ultimately was injured after showing regular season, not preseason, promise.
Last year he showed up a few weeks and played ok but still leaves that first game “potential” in question, can he be a regular stud slot guy?

I personally have that same feeling about lack of health, how much time is he gonna be given. Titans actually have what looks like a WR room around and I think that might push Phillips out. It would be a shame if he shows up elsewhere as a true slot guy just because Vrabel didn’t really give him a chance.

Vrabel gave him PLENTY of chances. He was hurt, non- productive, or detrimental more than he produced. If he shows up elsewhere and produces, good for him. Maybe better coaching, scheme, etc. But is was NOT because “Vrabel had it in for him” like some suggest.

Vrabel gave him PLENTY of chances. He was hurt, non- productive, or detrimental more than he produced. If he shows up elsewhere and produces, good for him. Maybe better coaching, scheme, etc. But is was NOT because “Vrabel had it in for him” like some suggest.
It's amazing that Phillips gets a pass due to Vrabel but Burks is under scrutiny..I agree Burks has underwhelmed and this is his make or break year but Phillips is just as injury prone.

If Boyd signs Phillips is gone imo

Phillips gets a partial pass because of the games he was a healthy scratch. Agree he was also hurt a lot so if I recall, there was maybe 2 games that were “healthy scratches”.

it’s also not fair to compare Burks to Phillips for the simple draft expectations. Burks was a 1st round pick. He will always be held to a higher standard as he should. Phillips was a 5th round pick never expected to produce but garnered some excitement because of his very first game. I think that first game is what gave him a reputation of better than he is.

Phillips gets a partial pass because of the games he was a healthy scratch. Agree he was also hurt a lot so if I recall, there was maybe 2 games that were “healthy scratches”.

it’s also not fair to compare Burks to Phillips for the simple draft expectations. Burks was a 1st round pick. He will always be held to a higher standard as he should. Phillips was a 5th round pick never expected to produce but garnered some excitement because of his very first game. I think that first game is what gave him a reputation of better than he is.
Burks never asked to be a first round pick or to be the one that was taken with the pick we got from the Brown trade...avaibility at a position we've struggled at is key no matter what round.
They're both on thin ice imo.

Titans had that FA slot guy that had mush-brains while a Titan... .then signed elsewhere and was all of a sudden healthy

Burks never asked to be a first round pick or to be the one that was taken with the pick we got from the Brown trade...avaibility at a position we've struggled at is key no matter what round.
They're both on thin ice imo.
I agree both should be on thin ice. I’m not certain Phillips makes it to the season.
Burks will, BC has already said something about excitement for the guy.

but Com’on now with the “never asked to be first”.
Burks, just like any other player, played in college for hopes of a first round paycheck. He has fallen well short of delivery on that draft position. Phillips was a 5th. Despite injuries and whatever else kept him off the field, he’s probably met expectations of any other 5th round WR.

I agree both should be on thin ice. I’m not certain Phillips makes it to the season.
Burks will, BC has already said something about excitement for the guy.

but Com’on now with the “never asked to be first”.
Burks, just like any other player, played in college for hopes of a first round paycheck. He has fallen well short of delivery on that draft position. Phillips was a 5th. Despite injuries and whatever else kept him off the field, he’s probably met expectations of any other 5th round WR.

Whatever the reason, I agree, he's fallen short of expectations. Burks will be linked to AJ Brown like it or not and the more Brown succeeds the worse the Burks pick looks.
All I'm saying is he's had injuries just like Phillips but Phillips gets the "Vrabel had it in for him" excuse.

Are first rounders immune to injuries?

Whatever the reason, I agree, he's fallen short of expectations. Burks will be linked to AJ Brown like it or not and the more Brown succeeds the worse the Burks pick looks.
All I'm saying is he's had injuries just like Phillips but Phillips gets the "Vrabel had it in for him" excuse.

Are first rounders immune to injuries?
No and unfortunately for them, it doesn’t pass as reason to not have the bust label at least historically.

I don’t recall any healthy scratch games for Burks either. I think “Vrabel had it in for Phillips” is definitely a stretch but I am curious why he wasn’t played when the season was in doubt and the WR corps wasn’t good anyway.

No and unfortunately for them, it doesn’t pass as reason to not have the bust label at least historically.

I don’t recall any healthy scratch games for Burks either. I think “Vrabel had it in for Phillips” is definitely a stretch but I am curious why he wasn’t played when the season was in doubt and the WR corps wasn’t good anyway.
That's a good question about Phillips not playing when healthy....maybe he wasn't healthy?? I didn't like the pick at the time tbh

Burks fan here (don't judge) , but for whatever reason he reminds me of Haywood Jeffries. And like HJ Burks hasn't done squat in his first 2 seasons BUT I'm hopeful this season he can get on track.

I'm probably reaching but as long as he's a Titan, I'm pulling for him.

Burks fan here (don't judge) , but for whatever reason he reminds me of Haywood Jeffries. And like HJ Burks hasn't done squat in his first 2 seasons BUT I'm hopeful this season he can get on track.

I root for titans regardless, I just don’t have any real expectations for him anymore.

Burks reminds you of Haywood Jeffires? :disappointed:

Latest posts

Back