Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't you think if the team was ready to move on from Davis they would have either traded him for a pick in a deep WR class or just drafted his replacement?

I pray Corey does enough to earn a $15 million/yr. contract! Could you imagine if he and AJ both went over 1,000 this year? Lock them in for 4-6 years together.

doesnt that sound dangerous o_O ... he does virtually nothing first 4 years and then goes off in his contract year to earn himself a big deal ... gee what player did that to us before ....

It’s gotta eat at CD that AJ is on all the promotional photos Titans are putting out. Personally I’d let him walk unless he truly go’s off then I’d franchise him and make him do it again.

Randall Cobb is old AF and got 3 years, $27mil
Emmanuel Sanders old and look at his numbers the last few years. 2 yrs, $24mil
Look at Robbie Anderson's numbers, 2 years, $20mil
Perriman had a few games down the stretch and got 1 year, $6.5 mil

Numbers are comparable to those guys and he has the most potential down the road. So if we aren't looking to pay $8 - $12 mil, we probably messed up in not drafting someone last Friday.
Robbie Anderson is a one trick phony. I was suprised he was sign to such a big contract.

To me a bust is someone who is out of the league in a couple yrs after contributing very little. Some people say that Davis hasn’t produced like the 5th pick in the draft should produce. It isn’t Davis’s fault that JRob drafted him that high. IMO JRob busted that pick.

Davis is not a bust. I feel certain he will be in the league for yrs to come.

To me a bust is someone who is out of the league in a couple yrs after contributing very little. Some people say that Davis hasn’t produced like the 5th pick in the draft should produce. It isn’t Davis’s fault that JRob drafted him that high. IMO JRob busted that pick.

Davis is not a bust. I feel certain he will be in the league for yrs to come.
Exactly. He will be a 10 yearish vet at some point. He may never be Randy moss but he is a solid receiver. Was over drafted but he is no bust. Heck he might just be miss/unused and he is a number 1. It is hard to tell in our offense. We don't have 600 passes to go around.

Exactly. He will be a 10 yearish vet at some point. He may never be Randy moss but he is a solid receiver. Was over drafted but he is no bust. Heck he might just be miss/unused and he is a number 1. It is hard to tell in our offense. We don't have 600 passes to go around.

wrong. And entirely speculative he’ll be “a 10 year vet”.

If he was able to be a true #1, why did we have to draft AJB? Who by the way, came out of the gate playing like a true #1.

and most people use the term bust in regards to production versus draft capital. Analogous to how folks use the term “steal”

CD an average NFL WR. Nice guy but was not worth a #5 overall pick.

CD is a good teammate and great blocker on the field, but that's an expensive blocker at #5 overall. Really such a shame we all agree his greatest contribution is blocking as a WR. We don't debate anything else; catching, routes, YACs, or TDs.

We talking about blocking...
Not catching passes...
Not scoring touchdowns...
Blocking...blocking...blocking

Honestly, all of that would be great. Unfortunately, I’m not confident he will even reach those marks.

He had 891 and 4 in 2018 with marcus throwing him the ball. In his contract year with a better quarterback and a year of Arthur Smith under the belt, i think he's very capable of hitting those numbers. Obviously, time will tell...itll be interesting to see how certain player progress or regress after all this mess. Some people are really good with self motivation and control, and some arent. I can imagine it being noticeable to spot those players this season.

He had 891 and 4 in 2018 with marcus throwing him the ball. In his contract year with a better quarterback and a year of Arthur Smith under the belt, i think he's very capable of hitting those numbers. Obviously, time will tell...itll be interesting to see how certain player progress or regress after all this mess. Some people are really good with self motivation and control, and some arent. I can imagine it being noticeable to spot those players this season.
While it is true that he has a much better qb throwing him the ball now, part of being a much better qb is the way he spreads the ball around.

If Davis is going to get numbers it is going to be by doing what Jonnu and AJ do, and thats strong arm his way to YAC.

If he was able to be a true #1, why did we have to draft AJB? Who by the way, came out of the gate playing like a true #1.

and most people use the term bust in regards to production versus draft capital. Analogous to how folks use the term “steal”

And even if he does have a 10 year career, it will be as. A JAG, down the depth chart. The only reason anyone will know his name is we were dumb enough to take him in the top 5.

Now I hope last year was an injury thing, and that he comes out balling next year, and we give him a deal, and he and brown and jonnu and Henry terrorize the league for years to come.

But so far, he's a bust.

My point is the word bust gets way over used. He is a disappointing pick not a bust.

While it is true that he has a much better qb throwing him the ball now, part of being a much better qb is the way he spreads the ball around.

If Davis is going to get numbers it is going to be by doing what Jonnu and AJ do, and thats strong arm his way to YAC.

Davis is a YAC monster lol

that was probably his best trait coming out of college. I don’t know enough about the different WR positions (Z,X, etc) and what those roles involve to say but I’d guess him having to go up against the #1 CB probably has something to do with it. Now don’t get me wrong we drafted him to do that but I can’t help but think that’s part of the reason. Big difference between Western Michigan and the NFL. Along with inconsistent QB play over his tenure, and Lewan said he was hurt most of last season.

I love the Corey Davis pick. I said he reminded me of Terrell Owens. But to this point he hasn’t lived up to anywhere close to what a #5 overall pick should have been doing. He’s not bad but he’s not a star. You don’t pay $16 million to people who aren’t stars.

Sure he can turn it around still and he might but he’s had 4 years to take that leap and he never did.

Yeah. I'm cool with saying you are disappointed in Davis's production, but bust is overused and misused.

If virtually no one produces to their expected level, the problem is likely with the expectation.

Davis is a YAC monster lol

that was probably his best trait coming out of college. I don’t know enough about the different WR positions (Z,X, etc) and what those roles involve to say but I’d guess him having to go up against the #1 CB probably has something to do with it. Now don’t get me wrong we drafted him to do that but I can’t help but think that’s part of the reason. Big difference between Western Michigan and the NFL. Along with inconsistent QB play over his tenure, and Lewan said he was hurt most of last season.

I love the Corey Davis pick. I said he reminded me of Terrell Owens. But to this point he hasn’t lived up to anywhere close to what a #5 overall pick should have been doing. He’s not bad but he’s not a star. You don’t pay $16 million to people who aren’t stars.

Sure he can turn it around still and he might but he’s had 4 years to take that leap and he never did.
Hes been in the nfl 3 seasons not 4. This is his make or break year.

Even if he doesnt take the next step hes a fine wr2 to have around after 2020

Don't expect much from CD, we have a run heavy offense and now he's the second option to AJ Brown who is simply more explosive. Number 2 production in a run heavy offense doesn't add up to much no matter how good he is. At best 35 receptions and a handful of touchiedowns. AJ Brown probably gets 65 catches. That's just the math. The offense was already producing at a high level too, so not much room for growth.

He likely sees himself as much more than that. And he should. But he's not going to do enough next year to earn big money. Mariota held him back. Do I think he's capable of 70 catches, probably, yet to be seen, but it won't be here.

Don't expect much from CD, we have a run heavy offense and now he's the second option to AJ Brown who is simply more explosive. Number 2 production in a run heavy offense doesn't add up to much no matter how good he is. At best 35 receptions and a handful of touchiedowns. AJ Brown probably gets 65 catches. That's just the math. The offense was already producing at a high level too, so not much room for growth.

He likely sees himself as much more than that. And he should. But he's not going to do enough next year to earn big money. Mariota held him back. Do I think he's capable of 70 catches, probably, yet to be seen, but it won't be here.
CD has already had 65 catches with a limp arm QB one season. You dont think he can hit 70 with a guy with a cannon?

This team this yr is the best its been, he might get close. What kills my hope of him hitting these numbers is like you said, the volume of passes it would take to have AJ and CD hit such impressive numbers might just not be there. We were 31st in pass attempts last yr. But who really knows with Tanny. Maybe we evolve the offense to where there can be room for two +60 catch WRs. Miami was a place WRs had big stats with Tanny.

Exactly. People who think he's just going to sign some low end wr2 deal with us and settle in for a career of stellar run blocking and low end wr2 production are nuts.

This is most likely his last year as a Titan. He will go sign with some team that throws more and gives him a chance to show what I'm sure he thinks he can do.

The only real chance he stays here is if he puts up enough numbers that we pay him crazy money or more likely, tag him. That, given our offense, is unlikely to happen. With brown, Smith, Humphreys, etc., there won't be enough balls going his way to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back