Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
So his 5 years under BB has matured him in a way that his previous 7 years under BB didn't? It's possible, but I'm not buying it. People don't change that much after they hit 30, imo.

People will always grow and mature. He was 33 when he took over the Bronco's. He is now 40. He is more mature and wiser than he was back then if for no other by learning from his mistakes from his stint in Denver.

Not sure he needs to change. A lot of what you saw out of him back then was confidence (perhaps over done). He brings a lot of confidence and I feel swagger to the team. I feel the team needs a strong confident, leader to get this turned around. This is not to say I feel he is ready. He at 40 is still awfully young for a head coach. He still may not be ready. But youth is one thing I think he has got going for him. And he if he is ready. He will that a long way.

Actually mike McCoy was the coordinator for Tim Tebow when they won the playoff game against the Steelers. He never coached Manning.

Let's get one thing straight here, Manning is his own Coordinator.

He was his coordinator for one season. That one season made the McCoy look pretty smart.

Aug 9th 2012 Peyton Manning made his appearance as a Bronco

January 15th 2013 Mike McCoy was Named Head Coach of the San Diego Chargers after previously serving as the OC for the Bronco's

So his 5 years under BB has matured him in a way that his previous 7 years under BB didn't? It's possible, but I'm not buying it. People don't change that much after they hit 30, imo.

I think it's asinine to not bring him in for an interview because someone may think he hasn't matured at all or thinks drafting Tebow defines someone's career.

He's too talented of a coach and an offensive mastermind to not get a second look. If I had to rank guys that could get the most out of Mariota, I have him over Gase.

Gase #1 baby.

McDaniels would be ok if he had no GM powers at all, he kinda nuked that entire broncos organization. If he requires too much GM power I'd reject him.

Hue would be fine.

I'm tired of hearing everybody reference that Tommy was entirely responsible for the Whiz hire. It's like when employees blame everything that currently goes wrong on the employee that fired a few weeks ago.

We don't any way other than hearsay and "spin" comments to know for sure what happened.
I don't disagree. Webster talked about how he and Whiz hit it off almost immediately being a reason as to why Whiz was hired.

Just inferring that Tommy was willing to pay that guy a ridiculous amount because I don't know why.

Changed thread title from Gase and McDaniels to just Gase. I think we agree he's the better candidate

What exactly do you base Gase being better than McDaniels? McDaniels has 1 poor track record...as a GM! He got rid of Denver's franchise WR in his prime Brandon Marshall followed by his 'franchise QB" Jay Cutler...only to draft Tim Tebow in round 1. Not good.

But he was able to scheme and playcall his way around this mistake enough to get them into the playoffs and beat a very strong Steelers team.

And anyone who has watched the Steelers knows he is a master at adapting offense week in and week out to attack opponents. Also, he REALLY would turn Wright into a MAJOR weapon in the slot! And I'm sure he could get the best out of Mariota.

As a HC and OC, it's hard to imagine a better candidate to boost this offense to where it SHOULD be! But I want no part of him as GM or in control of personel in terms of draft, trades, or free agents. Input...for sure. Decision making? NO! Pats are FIRST in passing yards per game and 3rd in points scored per game.

The same would go for Chip Kelly. Love what he could do for our offense, but want not part of him as GM. Eagles are 21st in passing yards per game but 14th in points scored per game and he has the worst QB of these teams.

Gase? What's the argument? He was in Denver when Peyton was still in his prime...means nothing to me. Bears are 20th in passing yards per game and 22nd in pts scored per game.

Give me a real GM to hire McDaniels or Kelly. I'll pass on Gase for now.

I guess I look at Gase similarly to the way I look at Mike McCoy (chargers head coach). Who was Mannings coordinator in Denver before Gase. McCoy was touted as an genius when leaving Denver for San Duego. And I think in many respects he has been disappointing. Which taints me on Gase. Manning blew up McCoys value. He blew up Gase's.

As warner, rothlisberger, and Rivers blew up whisenhunts value.

Everyone on Gases nut sack such also remember the bears middle of the road offense has a competent head coach and competent defense behind is.

I feel like Marc Trestman didn't even try coaching the D last year and simply had 7 on 7 practices all year. Have zero defense also made cutler force more, hence why he looks better when not asked to be the savior every week. They're playing conservative.

Get it together guys. This is Ruston Webster level stuff.

As warner, rothlisberger, and Rivers blew up whisenhunts value.

Similar, yeah. I just can't get excited about Gase. His success with Manning in Denver is really no more or less than that of the 3-10 currently Mike McCoy had with him. We really don't know how good he will be. It's really a flip of a coin. And not really a chance a franchise that needs certainty the next time around can afford to play with.

What exactly do you base Gase being better than McDaniels? McDaniels has 1 poor track record...as a GM! He got rid of Denver's franchise WR in his prime Brandon Marshall followed by his 'franchise QB" Jay Cutler...only to draft Tim Tebow in round 1. Not good.

But he was able to scheme and playcall his way around this mistake enough to get them into the playoffs and beat a very strong Steelers team.

And anyone who has watched the Steelers knows he is a master at adapting offense week in and week out to attack opponents. Also, he REALLY would turn Wright into a MAJOR weapon in the slot! And I'm sure he could get the best out of Mariota.

As a HC and OC, it's hard to imagine a better candidate to boost this offense to where it SHOULD be! But I want no part of him as GM or in control of personel in terms of draft, trades, or free agents. Input...for sure. Decision making? NO! Pats are FIRST in passing yards per game and 3rd in points scored per game.

The same would go for Chip Kelly. Love what he could do for our offense, but want not part of him as GM. Eagles are 21st in passing yards per game but 14th in points scored per game and he has the worst QB of these teams.

Gase? What's the argument? He was in Denver when Peyton was still in his prime...means nothing to me. Bears are 20th in passing yards per game and 22nd in pts scored per game.

Give me a real GM to hire McDaniels or Kelly. I'll pass on Gase for now.

Pause. Mcdaniels drafted tebow, and was out that next year. Adam Gase was the OC or qb coach when they beat the Steelers in the playoffs.

Pause. Mcdaniels drafted tebow, and was out that next year. Adam Gase was the OC or qb coach when they beat the Steelers in the playoffs.

In any case, Both McDaniels and Mariota are going to get a chance to audition for each other tomorrow.

I like McDaniels. Like Kelly, I think he brings a lil attitude and I think some of that attitude is toughness if it's even possible to find in a an offensive guy. Team needs attitude and toughness. Both Mularkey and Whisenhunt are stick faces.

Im coming around on McDaniels now too. The way he can move the offense with all the injuries they had is pretty impressive, add the fact that Mariota has a pretty good short game somewhat similar to Brady. Doesnt seem to need a good RB (cause we dont have one).

I'd be cool with either Gase or McDaniels. Just no GM power to McDaniels lol.

During his conference call for the TN game Big Bill was asked, "Do you think Josh McDaniels would make a good HC for TN if they decide to hire him?" BB responded, "I have no idea."

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement from the guy who has been working with him for years. You would think that his boss would be willing to at least say; yea I think Josh has really grown & deserves another shot.

I don't know that McDaniels is the type of guy that this team needs. He seems a lot like Whiz. The last supposed "Offensive Guru" we brought in was the worst HC we have had in my lifetime.

Maybe he has grown up. We should research him thoroughly. He has done a lot with a great QB and fill in guys on offense; other than Gronk. However, I hope they are very very cautious with the research of the guy. He has a lot of red flags from his last shot at HC.

During his conference call for the TN game Big Bill was asked, "Do you think Josh McDaniels would make a good HC for TN if they decide to hire him?" BB responded, "I have no idea."

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement from the guy who has been working with him for years. You would think that his boss would be willing to at least say; yea I think Josh has really grown & deserves another shot.

I don't know that McDaniels is the type of guy that this team needs. He seems a lot like Whiz. The last supposed "Offensive Guru" we brought in was the worst HC we have had in my lifetime.

Maybe he has grown up. We should research him thoroughly. He has done a lot with a great QB and fill in guys on offense; other than Gronk. However, I hope they are very very cautious with the research of the guy. He has a lot of red flags from his last shot at HC.

Do you think Bill is excited about losing a coordinator? There is nothing conventional about Belichick.

But you're right. It doesn't hurt to research him.

I don't really think you should try and read anything into what Belicheck says at his press conferences. When you start trying that you've already lost.

You are right! McDaniels didn't start Tebow though he drafted him. I also was a little harsh on him as GM. Maybe McDaniels got the better of the Cutler trade (though getting rid of Marshall was a big failure) and did have a darn good draft besides the Tebow pick. He still got Demaryius Thomas and Decker in that draft along with a few other solid players.

I thought McDaniels was still HC that year they went to the playoffs but he was out the previous year (Tebow's first season). Gase was the QB coach the year Tebow took over and won them a playoff game and several 4th qrtr/overtime wins. Gase was WR coach the two years McDaniels was HC. McCoy was OC I think the 2 years under McDaniels and the year after he left.

Thanks for catching that!

So to update...McDaniels is doing what Whiz SAID he would do and that is to create a matchup offense. We will adjust what we do each week to attack you with mismatches and that is what the Pats do...all the time! It is how guys like Welker or Amendola or whomever are very hard to cover. Get them matched up on a 3rd CB, S, or LB and let them run option routes. 7-11!!! Open all day!

I like that even though he drafted Tebow, clearly he was a project long term and a red zone wildcat QB in the short term...at least for McDaniels. He drafted a lot better than I thought but I still think trading away what was to that point a young franchise QB and franchise WR was not good. He also hired another McDaniels to be his QB coach. I don't like that kind of thing. But McD puts up dmn good offenses and calls good games and knows how to work around injuries without getting his QB killed!!!

First off, like others have said, don't put any stock into what BB said. Saban and McDaniels are a lot of like, you're not going to be able to figure them out. BB also hates that kind of question, regarding what ifs among his staff.

I don't really see a viable comparison between Whiz and McDaniels. Whiz was fired because he didn't adapt to the players around him and was a pretty lousy in-game coach as well. Whiz, IIRC, was never really considered a "guru", more of a guy that won with good QBs. The hype meter hit those levels with Phillip Rivers, I guess. For McDaniels, you can actually see him adapting his offense and always being able to run an efficient offense regardless of personnel. Whereas Whiz was overblown because he had Big Ben, then Warner and then Rivers to fall back on, McDaniels had Brady but had to develop the offense around a rotation of weapons for that particular season and game depending on the opposing defense being faced.

To try and clear up what I'm saying, McDaniels is always progressing. Whiz was stubborn and lucked out with top QB play during each of his stops.

I was kind of thinking about this yesterday, but there are a lot of similarities between McDaniels and Lane Kiffin. McDaniels being the NFL version obviously.

-Great and young offensive minds
-Peaked way too early and thus took HC jobs they weren't ready for
-Both made questionable decisions while in control and came back to bite them
-They both decided to rebuild their stock by going to very well structured programs, even BB and Saban are in the same coaching tree
-Both have thrived at their new positions for multiple years (McDaniels top offense and Super Bowl, Kiffin 2 playoff appearances, school records, and Heisman winner)

They even have some of the same key concepts for their offenses. Both offenses are considered a base West Coast offense. I say base because they both take multiple looks and formations from others, kind of like saying a team has a 4-3 defense but show Nickel and 3-4 a lot as well. They also know how to get the ball into the hands of their most talented players. Whether that's getting Gronk the ball despite triple teams or finding Amari Cooper 100 times. They both adapt their play-calling and even schemes due to their personnel and even opponents. Example, NE's various rotation of which RB or slot WR goes off or if Henry gets the ball 40 times or Coker pushes the defense a bit more. They're also both great at identifying talent and developing. Kiffin great and developing QBs and McDaniels turning no-name guys into Sunday stat stuffers.

Like McDaniels, Kiffin will get another shot at HC down the road but for right now, I believe McDaniels is reading to take the reigns as a HC again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back