Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Titans biggest mistake on offense was continuing to run the ball on first down against a Ravens defense that was keeping 8/9 and sometimes 10 men in the box. This was a game begging for a lot of rollouts and play action passes on first down.

The amount that the Titans run on first down has been an issue quite a bit this season. It forces the Titans into obvious passing situations when Henry is stopped for a yard or so and the Titans OL is not great at pass blocking, more so because Lewan has been out.

When the Titans scored their lone TD, it was because the passing game overcame the lack of running yards on first down. After going up 10-0, those runs started happening on both first and second down and Tannenhill was getting killed on obvious third down passes. It was a bad gameplan from the get go that got worse when the Titans offense got even more conservative when they got up by 10.
That's exactly how it went. Everyone in the NFL knows our run game is our strength so if 8,9 guys are in the box call an audible lol too much like right I guess.

I saw a Ravens defense have an answer to everything the Titans did today. What do you think Smith should have done differently? Henry had no room. Tanny stayed under pressure.

I don’t like forcing Henry so much on first down but it’s not like Smith didn’t call for some deeper shots.

The first drive Tannehill was 6/6. Short quick throws. We stopped doing that

you guys seem to forget Tannehill was brought here to be a backup

no one expected him to lead us to 2 playoff wins and division title

be realistic

The season was lost long ago. We had the worst off season in the history of the NFL. We lost key peices from last years team. Coaches Pees and Combs. Players Conklin, Ryan, Casey. Our draft class was way below average, especially drafting a guy, with our 1st pick, who doesn't even want to play in the NFL. We had key season ending injuries throughout the season. The love for my team made me believe we had a chance, but in reality we were far from winning the Superbowl. It stings because we lost to the Ravens and we still had a chance to beat them. We going to be alright.

you guys seem to forget Tannehill was brought here to be a backup

no one expected him to lead us to 2 playoff wins and division title

be realistic

We are paying him $30 million a year now. Be realistic? Lol he should be able to step up and make plays when Henry is shut down.

No he went vanilla because he spent too many hours prepping for these interviews and not enough preparing a solid game plan.

The thing is, as I wrote earlier in this thread, running too much on first down has been a problem for the Titans for a lot of the season. It's been a trend since Vrabel took over as head coach. In the three years Vrabel has been head coach, the Titans have run the ball on first down more than Mularkey did during his tenure and we all thought he ran the ball too much.

The Ravens today were successful in stopping Henry on first down all game. That made the second and third down conversions more difficult as they became obvious passing down. Getting a 10-0 lead actually didn't help because the offense went into conservative mode, exasperating the problem.

The strength of the Titans offense all season has been to get chunks of yards running on first down and then setting up PA strikes down the field. The Titans do not have the OL to be a traditional drop back passing offense. Once the Titans were forced to have to drop back and throw (due to their overly conservative game plan and the Ravens defense), the game was basically over. This team can't flip a switch with no threat of running game.

This game should solidify in everyone's minds just how important Henry really is to the offense. If Henry has a rough game, Tannenhill isn't going to overcome it most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back