Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't say Diggs was his only weapon....Gabriel Davis, Beasley and Dawson Knox
If he's middle of the pack I'd take it and I'd take Allen over Tannehill

Oh absolutely.

But to be fair, Davis and Beasley are Khalif Raymond and a poor mans Julian Edleman.

The major difference between Allen and Tannehill? -- Allen looks at either Diggs or Beasley on 4th and crucial ----- Tannehill looks for the closest mail sorter.

I was thinking replacing Brown with the 1st....find a WR in 2? I guess Brown was a 2nd rounder
WRs don't win Super Bowls. I mentioned it in another post. It would be even less likely if that WR is taking up 10 or 15% of the salary cap.

Regarding drafting a WR in the 1st, there are waaaay more 1st round busts than we care to admit. I wouldn't say they're as bad as TEs, but they're pretty bad. Plus the talent pool of that position is getting deeper and deeper. Unless you have a generational Calvin Johnson or Jamar Chase coming up, I say wait for the 2nd. Even Chase was a risk because he sat out and pretty much just had one dominant year.

Look at the last 10 years of 1st round WRs. Barf. Jury is still out on the 2020 class, but the rest of the years... you have 3 maybe 4 guys actually worth it.

WRs don't win Super Bowls. I mentioned it in another post. It would be even less likely if that WR is taking up 10 or 15% of the salary cap.

Regarding drafting a WR in the 1st, there are waaaay more 1st round busts than we care to admit. I wouldn't say they're as bad as TEs, but they're pretty bad. Plus the talent pool of that position is getting deeper and deeper. Unless you have a generational Calvin Johnson or Jamar Chase coming up, I say wait for the 2nd. Even Chase was a risk because he sat out and pretty much just had one dominant year.

Look at the last 10 years of 1st round WRs. Barf. Jury is still out on the 2020 class, but the rest of the years... you have 3 maybe 4 guys actually worth it.

The issue is the Titans don't have a 2nd at this time and so if they wait until the 3rd most of the talent will be gone.

I totally agree about the cap and the amount you can spend on a WR and for that reason I would be preparing as if AJ weren't going to be a Titan in 2023. Go ahead and draft a guy this yr who has the skills to be a #1 type WR and so it gives you a little more wiggle room if AJ does ask for the moon.

The issue is the Titans don't have a 2nd at this time and so if they wait until the 3rd most of the talent will be gone.

I totally agree about the cap and the amount you can spend on a WR and for that reason I would be preparing as if AJ weren't going to be a Titan in 2023. Go ahead and draft a guy this yr who has the skills to be a #1 type WR and so it gives you a little more wiggle room if AJ does ask for the moon.
That's what I was getting at

Brown is here for 22’.
Titans don’t need or use 1st rd talent WR.
Not worth the draft pick in the first.

if brown is gone next year, draft or sign FA next year. Not guaranteed brown is actually gone either.

as unattractive a pick it might be, G or T, preferably a guy that can do more than 1 position, would be the best value for the draft.

I'm with you, but

We're drafting at the end of 1st, so I can accept it if we take a receiver. We're not talking about Corey Davis/ John Ross/ Henry Ruggs territory here. But something can always be done. This draft doesn't appear to be very top heavy, maybe we can trade back. That said, there's also been some really solid 3rd round picks not named Taywan Taylor: Golladay, Godwin, and Kuup from for example.

I'm with you, but

We're drafting at the end of 1st, so I can accept it if we take a receiver. We're not talking about Corey Davis/ John Ross/ Henry Ruggs territory here. But something can always be done. This draft doesn't appear to be very top heavy, maybe we can trade back. That said, there's also been some really solid 3rd round picks not named Taywan Taylor: Golladay, Godwin, and Kuup from for example.
I completely agree with this, BUT, the Titans SUUUUUUCK at developing receivers.

Just SB MVPs

Which wide receivers have won Super Bowl MVP?

Was this post an example of teams that won because of their WR? Like, the pats weren’t a SB team without Deion Branch?

I’m sure I can do the research, but there are likely teams that won the SB with marginal WR (patriots for example)
No it was an example that WRs can play a significant role in the SB and possibly be the reason the team wins.

Would Indy or Denver of won without Manning? He certainly wasn't the reason those teams won the SB but he got MVP in the Indy win.

Because of that I would rarely draft WR's and just go after mid tier FA's instead.
eeeh... I get it but you can't really get the talent you need with just mid tier guys, plus you have to pay them as elite. My take is, if you have a Calvin Johnson, take him. Otherwise take a shot in rounds 2 or 3. Have a stud WR on a rookie deal. Plenty of AJs, DKs, Terry McLaurin's, and Kuups.

and that includes 1st round picks, so what's the difference?

Titans 1st round receivers tend to have at least mild success. Britt, Wright, and Davis were all ok for us. Nothing special, but not straight garbage either. Each one ended up having at least 1 season with 1k yards receiving, though Britt's 1k yard season came with the Rams.

Dyson was probably the worst of the 1st round WR picks. And I do blame him solely for losing the Super Bowl on the last play.

Conversely, the only Titans WRs to find success taken outside of the 1st round are Brown and Mason. Justin McCareins wasn't completely useless, but he wasn't really good either.

eeeh... I get it but you can't really get the talent you need with just mid tier guys, plus you have to pay them as elite. My take is, if you have a Calvin Johnson, take him. Otherwise take a shot in rounds 2 or 3. Have a stud WR on a rookie deal. Plenty of AJs, DKs, Terry McLaurin's, and Kuups.

I wish we would hoard picks more and trade back more, giving us extra picks in every draft. That way we could take chances on guys every year at positions we are bad at developing. If you buy enough lottery tickets, you are bound to hit on one eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back