Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it was an example that WRs can play a significant role in the SB and possibly be the reason the team wins.

Would Indy or Denver of won without Manning? He certainly wasn't the reason those teams won the SB but he got MVP in the Indy win.
One of the reasons SB MVP holds no water as far as real accolade.
Dominic Rhodes should have been MVP for Indy.
Overall, you make a great point that I agree with, defense can win you championships.

there are great WR that have won the SB.
There are WR that had big games on the big stage.
I don’t think you win or lose SB with WR, if that were the case, Randy Moss would have a SB ring. I think he is almost unquestioned #1 or 2 WR all time. Jerry Rice had so many other people around him, it’s hard to argue that he was the difference between winning a (or all 4) SB or not.

Titans 1st round receivers tend to have at least mild success. Britt, Wright, and Davis were all ok for us. Nothing special, but not straight garbage either. Each one ended up having at least 1 season with 1k yards receiving, though Britt's 1k yard season came with the Rams.

Dyson was probably the worst of the 1st round WR picks. And I do blame him solely for losing the Super Bowl on the last play.

Conversely, the only Titans WRs to find success taken outside of the 1st round are Brown and Mason. Justin McCareins wasn't completely useless, but he wasn't really good either.
This gets tough to argue on whether any of those guys were worth a 1st round pick. I’m Tennessee history, 1K is a pretty big milestone. That conversation carries over into the mindset of running first since moving to Tennessee at least.
When you see guys putting up 120 catches, 1300+ yards and 10+ TD multiple years on other teams, it really puts that 1st round value to the test. I’d argue that of the WR we see putting up those numbers, they are largely a more passing team than Tennessee.

because of that mindset, my opinion is WR in the first is never the right value for Tennessee. Maybe we eventually see an offensive scheme change (not with Henry onboard) WR just seems like wasted picks in the 1st.
I think we see the same record success with guys like mcceirens, Nate washingtons, or Justin gages, or other middle tier WR and hope for the occasional AJ Brown or even Delaney Walker.

The Athletic's Mike Sando reports an NFL executive said "age has caught up" with Matt Ryan.

I hope they miss the playoffs and we get to see Irsay go into a coke induced rage.

I mean Cooper Kupp pretty much just won the SB at the end their for the Rams.
Be honest, prior to this season would you have said Kupp was a top 5 WR? Top 10? I just googled a few 2021 preseason fantasy rankings, Kuup was 11, 14, 17, and 22. The list where was 11 had AJ Brown at 30. His average draft position was #69 (hehe).

Obviously WRs play a role, and the connection with Stafford and Kuup was nasty, but they won't single handedly win you the game.

This actually helps prove my point. 7 guys? and that list includes Edelman, Santonio Holmes, and Dein Branch? Where are Moss and Owens? They both played for great SB winning organizations, but neither got a ring. Wes Walker played with Brady and Manning, no ring. There have also been 7 RB SB MVPs, as we all agree, that doesn't mean you need to invest top money in one to win.

Look at recent history... ok, Mike Evans and T Hill have rings. They're elite. But they also had Brady and Mahomes. Evans had one catch in the SB. Technically Antonio Brown has a ring. Who else? Who have been the "elite"/great WRs of this time?

Davante Adams
Deandre Hopkins
Keenan Allen
Stefon Diggs
Michael Thomas
AJ Green
Larry Fitzgerald... no rings.

GB won one, but with Nelson and Jennings, not Adams
Steelers won, but with Holmes, not Brown
Pats have plenty but with Edelman, Amandola, and Branch, not Moss or Welker
Saints won with Marques Colston, not Thomas

Philly won recently with Nelson Agholor and Alshon Jeffery
The Seahawks and Russ has a ring with Dough Baldwin
Ravens and Flacco have an old Anquan Boldin, I guess technically he was elite at one point
Denver won with Emmanuel Sanders and D Thomas, I'll give them credit for being elite at that time too.

Good QBs can make good WRs great. A WR can make a QB's job easier, but you certainly don't need a great WR to win. Most elite WRs are ring less.

I love AJ and having a stud WR is great, but if that one player, at a position where you need at least 3, costs 10% of the cap, you're shooting your team in the foot. That money needs to be reserved for QBs, DEs, and OTs. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe the Raiders and Dolphins win a SB, but I doubt it. If you have a great QB on a rookie deal, then maybe it's worth it, but I doubt Tua is the guy. Had Adams or Hill gone to the Chargers, then maybe its a different story.

On top of that, if you're in a position to not only avoid paying a WR $25M, but you can get a 1st round pick plus some day two and three picks, I say take advantage. The Packers and Chiefs were smart here.

Was this post an example of teams that won because of their WR? Like, the pats weren’t a SB team without Deion Branch?

I’m sure I can do the research, but there are likely teams that won the SB with marginal WR (patriots for example)
Most if them recently, actually. See above.

Be honest, prior to this season would you have said Kupp was a top 5 WR? Top 10? I just googled a few 2021 preseason fantasy rankings, Kuup was 11, 14, 17, and 22. The list where was 11 had AJ Brown at 30. His average draft position was #69 (hehe).

Obviously WRs play a role, and the connection with Stafford and Kuup was nasty, but they won't single handedly win you the game.

This actually helps prove my point. 7 guys? and that list includes Edelman, Santonio Holmes, and Dein Branch? Where are Moss and Owens? They both played for great SB winning organizations, but neither got a ring. Wes Walker played with Brady and Manning, no ring. There have also been 7 RB SB MVPs, as we all agree, that doesn't mean you need to invest top money in one to win.

Look at recent history... ok, Mike Evans and T Hill have rings. They're elite. But they also had Brady and Mahomes. Evans had one catch in the SB. Technically Antonio Brown has a ring. Who else? Who have been the "elite"/great WRs of this time?

Davante Adams
Deandre Hopkins
Keenan Allen
Stefon Diggs
Michael Thomas
AJ Green
Larry Fitzgerald... no rings.

GB won one, but with Nelson and Jennings, not Adams
Steelers won, but with Holmes, not Brown
Pats have plenty but with Edelman, Amandola, and Branch, not Moss or Welker
Saints won with Marques Colston, not Thomas

Philly won recently with Nelson Agholor and Alshon Jeffery
The Seahawks and Russ has a ring with Dough Baldwin
Ravens and Flacco have an old Anquan Boldin, I guess technically he was elite at one point
Denver won with Emmanuel Sanders and D Thomas, I'll give them credit for being elite at that time too.

Good QBs can make good WRs great. A WR can make a QB's job easier, but you certainly don't need a great WR to win. Most elite WRs are ring less.

I love AJ and having a stud WR is great, but if that one player, at a position where you need at least 3, costs 10% of the cap, you're shooting your team in the foot. That money needs to be reserved for QBs, DEs, and OTs. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe the Raiders and Dolphins win a SB, but I doubt it. If you have a great QB on a rookie deal, then maybe it's worth it, but I doubt Tua is the guy. Had Adams or Hill gone to the Chargers, then maybe its a different story.

On top of that, if you're in a position to not only avoid paying a WR $25M, but you can get a 1st round pick plus some day two and three picks, I say take advantage. The Packers and Chiefs were smart here.
All good points but I think you have way too much time on your hands lol

Titans 1st round receivers tend to have at least mild success. Britt, Wright, and Davis were all ok for us. Nothing special, but not straight garbage either. Each one ended up having at least 1 season with 1k yards receiving, though Britt's 1k yard season came with the Rams.

Dyson was probably the worst of the 1st round WR picks. And I do blame him solely for losing the Super Bowl on the last play.

Conversely, the only Titans WRs to find success taken outside of the 1st round are Brown and Mason. Justin McCareins wasn't completely useless, but he wasn't really good either.
If we would have drafted Moss we would have at least one :trophy:

Taywan Taylor is BACK… in football after being drafted by the New Orleans Breakers in the 16th round of the USFL draft :biglaugh:
I dont like how they did their draft, each round a different position. That’s part of the intrigue of the draft is the gamble of taking who you think the best player available is and which position you think is more important to fill.

That said, Paxton Lynch was drafted and not close to first.

Paycheck? It's not his fault we drafted a 6th round prospect in the 3rd.
I don't hate the swing and a miss. TT's college production was bananas and showed a ton of potential. As long as JRob can find the occasional Byard, and Nate Davis, I'm ok with him "reaching" on people we've never heard of. The draft is a gamble anyway. There was a lot to like after we selected Taylor.

I also can't harshly judge any WR we had during the Mariota era, especially the Mariota/Robiskie era.

That said, I have nooooo clue what he saw in Dez Fitzpatrick. I couldn't rationalize that one at all! No good highlights, no good measurables, no good attributes, no good projections, and no good production to back it up. WTF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back