Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should absolutely try to extend him, give him a bonus and reduce his cap hit.

Hes fine at 10M but we need some cap space this yr

He isn’t worth his Draft Capital? What does that mean?

At his 2021 salary he would be in the 15 to 20 range as far as pay for CB. I think you would be hard pressed to replace him. You extend him and lower his 2021 cap hit, but you don’t cut him.
This. I don’t know why people get so excited about where a prospect was drafted. Every draft is different and players are slotted for different reasons. Like Davis, people messing their pants because he went #5. In some years he may have been 15th. Too many variables to put too much weight in where a guy was drafted. Pay him his second contract based on performance and don’t worry where you initially took him.

This. I don’t know why people get so excited about where a prospect was drafted. Every draft is different and players are slotted for different reasons. Like Davis, people messing their pants because he went #5. In some years he may have been 15th. Too many variables to put too much weight in where a guy was drafted. Pay him his second contract based on performance and don’t worry where you initially took him.

A lot of people on here have this false idea that you should be drafting all pro players every single year in the first round. It’s never happened and it will never happen. The draft is such a crap shoot. You’d think after all the incompetent GM’s we’ve had fans would realize this but nope.

That’s why teams like the Rams don’t mind trading those 1st for proven NFL players. Drafting is probably the hardest thing to do in sports. Any sport! So many variables you have to try and account for.

A lot of people on here have this false idea that you should be drafting all pro players every single year in the first round. It’s never happened and it will never happen. The draft is such a crap shoot. You’d think after all the incompetent GM’s we’ve had fans would realize this but nope.

That’s why teams like the Rams don’t mind trading those 1st for proven NFL players. Drafting is probably the hardest thing to do in sports. Any sport! So many variables you have to try and account for.
What’s funny is that some posters don’t mind the player, but where he was drafted. You can’t go by tv and internet scouts. They are very often wrong. But you’ll hear, “ Every mock I’ve seen has as a second rounder and we took him at 30! Our GM is garbage!”

What’s funny is that some posters don’t mind the player, but where he was drafted. You can’t go by tv and internet scouts. They are very often wrong. But you’ll hear, “ Every mock I’ve seen has as a second rounder and we took him at 30! Our GM is garbage!”

Yep lol like these people on TV aren’t being told by the teams who they like. Why would the team do that? Makes no sense. They are simply guessing.

top 20 yeah

I’m just pissed he did nothing this year. Don’t want to pay him- he owes us.

Why are you so damn bitter? Lol a top 20 CB isn’t worthy of a 1st round pick? I’m upset he missed a lot of the season to but I think AJ25 has earned the right to stay on the team. We’ve got some holes to fill on the defense no doubt about it but the answer isn’t to cut the few good players we have.

I mean.. that is the goal.. you "should" be drafting pro bowlers with your first round pick.. It wont always happen, not even often happen, but your job is to take the first round pick that is worth millions of dollars, spending it on a player, who then makes millions of dollars, and if you did your job properly, that money will be well spent on that player. If that player fails, you did not properly do your job.

I mean.. that is the goal.. you "should" be drafting pro bowlers with your first round pick.. It wont always happen, not even often happen, but your job is to take the first round pick that is worth millions of dollars, spending it on a player, who then makes millions of dollars, and if you did your job properly, that money will be well spent on that player. If that player fails, you did not properly do your job.

Did I say anywhere in that post that the goal wasn’t to draft pro bowl players? Lol

top 20 yeah

I’m just pissed he did nothing this year. Don’t want to pay him- he owes us.

Not how that works. What do you think ... he has sick time built up and once he is out screw him? He gets paid because he got hurt on the job.

Top that off .. it isn’t your money.

Not how that works. What do you think ... he has sick time built up and once he is out screw him? He gets paid because he got hurt on the job.

Top that off .. it isn’t your money.

well it IS my money. Been a season ticket holder over 20 years. Not sure you could say same.

But you have to be on the field to contribute and earn your money. Non-availability produces the same as no ability.

some folks like me think a 1st round pick at least early/mid rounds) should result be a starter or contribute right away. AND be a core player. We’ve not had that happen. That’s on JRob. He’s done better on later rounds thus making him “slightly above average”. Adoree nice guy just not earned big money. Honestly can stay or go IMO, don’t think he’ll wow or disappoint wherever he is. We’ve seen what he’s capable of being.

some folks like me think a 1st round pick at least early/mid rounds) should result be a starter or contribute right away. AND be a core player. We’ve not had that happen. That’s on JRob. He’s done better on later rounds thus making him “slightly above average”. Adoree nice guy just not earned big money. Honestly can stay or go IMO, don’t think he’ll wow or disappoint wherever he is. We’ve seen what he’s capable of being.

Not every first round pick is going to be a core player. That’s just totally unrealistic. Not a single team in the NFL who has achieved that.... sure that’s the goal but it won’t happen. You’re living in la la land if you think that’ll ever happen with any GM.

When we drafted Adoree in the first, the thing with him was his multiple talents at KR/PR/WR/CB.."Biggest playmaker in College"...imo not a great CB, good but not great...playmaker make plays, I say let's use him for what what we drafted him as, a playmaker

well it IS my money. Been a season ticket holder over 20 years. Not sure you could say same.

But you have to be on the field to contribute and earn your money. Non-availability produces the same as no ability.

I’ve never had to pay for tickets. Lucky I guess.. whether in Houston or Nashville. But thank you for your loyalty. Still not your money. You got seats in a stadium to watch a team that’s put together by the people who own that team. You don’t own the team. Ticket Sales make up about 8% of owners revenue. TV money makes up the largest share.

You can’t be so obtuse not to understand how a sports contract works? But it’s not unlike most businesses., If you get hurt on the job you get paid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to make this a Corey Davis thing but also with AJ25, the draft capital anger is a hindsight thing. Always will be.

The production Davis has provided isn't close to what a #5 pick should be expected to produce. I'm ok overall with him, but lets consider the DL is an absolute mess and #5 pick could have had someone to help with that mess vice a replaceable WR.

AJ25 is kind of the same thing, although I'm not so sure he is underperforming for his selection range. CB are a little tougher to grade because one of their biggest statistics of success, is a lack of throwing at them. Lot tougher to quantify.
I think he played well enough in 18/19'' to earn another contract. His 20' season was a wash due to injury or maybe even a "down" year but I think he's better than an unknown at this point.

King should be re-signed. We lost Ryan who was the nickel/inside guy. King replaces what was lost, probably even improves it. We saw in 18' and early 19' how good a secondary can be (even with a weak pass rush) by having a good set of starters.

Also... now that I know they can cut Adoree with zero dead cap... someone please tell me why you wouldnt always exercise the 5th year option. We could've placed it on Conklin and Corey and just cut them if it didnt work out right? Seems like a no-brainer, I must be missing something.
My understanding is that Adorees class is the last one where you can cut the player before his 5th year without penalty. From now on 5th years are fully guaranteed.

Not every first round pick is going to be a core player. That’s just totally unrealistic. Not a single team in the NFL who has achieved that.... sure that’s the goal but it won’t happen. You’re living in la la land if you think that’ll ever happen with any GM.

said early/mid 1st. not all. and should contribute enough to stick with team so a team isn't looking to replace that position again in 4 years. Of course you don't hit on every pick- Titans just haven't hit on many (if any) since Lewan. Mariota, Conklin, Jackson, Davis. Evans is decent but he's later 1st round. In fact, we've spent first rounds picks on the D last 4 years and we still don't have a "star". Simmons IS showing promise but he hasn't been exceptionally disruptive.

Anyway thread topic is about DB's. AJ25 just not that special IMO. He can go- he'll produce the same gone as he has recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back