Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Tannenhill threw the ball to where he anticipated Raymond would be, Raymond was open and had not yet come out of his break. Unfortunately, Raymond got into contact with defender and fell.

The issue with the play was that Raymond was Tannenhill's pre-snap read and locking onto Raymond without even glancing at Brown

Im sorry but how do you know what the read was pre snap?

Yall were watching the game right? Tannehill was being given about 2.1 seconds to throw the ball or he was plastered on his ass. The play had most receivers on the right side, he started his progression on the right side. Raymond immediately got past his defender and was wide open in the hole. It was the exact right pass for Tannehill to make. If you think Tannehill had time to start on the right side and read the progressions from right to left and see Brown, then you are deluding yourself. His first read was wide open. His first read fell down (and I dont care about that little tiny bit of contact) and screwed up the play. It was 100% on Raymond.

You must know the playbook pretty well if you know Raymond was the first read on that play.

I don't wake up in the morning caring who will add me to the ignore.
If it was the first quarter, your point would make sense. However in the 4th, 1.40 on the clock....connecting on a pass to the 50 yard line, and having your number one receiver open for a touchdown is a ridiculous decision....the one that separates elite from average.

And considering AJB is the only guy who showed up to play that day.

Tannehill said that also. But once again clearly you know the playbook better than Tannehill so I guess he was wrong.

Lol what? How am I saying I know the playbook better than Tannehill? I’ve made no claims at all. I’m not the one claiming to know what the read or play was. I’m saying we don’t know because we are fans watching on TV.

If you care to provide some proof of those quotes it would go a long way in proving your credibility here.

Amazing to think how the Texans are just absolutely burning down their own house. We are back to the Colts being the primary threat it looks like. Who knows if Urban translate well to the NFL game or sticks it out beyond two years.

Im sorry but how do you know what the read was pre snap?

1. The formation and the routes run demonstrated only Raymond was attacking the middle of the field. His route was also the only one that tried to get behind the line backers playing zone. Brown looked only to be a decoy running a go route in order to draw safety help for that corner (which did not happen)

2. The Ravens pre snap adjustment (Peters backpelled prior to the snap for instance) and Raymonds 's route called for him to undercut Peters. In addition, the corner playing Brown was in press coverage, so Tannehill probably thought the safety was going to help him. Tannehill himself said that he started looking on the right side of the field and that he paid attention to what Peters had done by moving off his coverage.

3. From the snap, Tannehill only had his eyes on the side of the field that Raymond was lined up on and he never turned his head to the left hand side of the field (where Brown and Firsker lined up).

4. Tannehill did not look at Jonnu who was running the underneath route on the same side of the field as Raymond (near the sideline). In addition, Tannehill did not look at Derrick Henry who was wide open in the flat (and would have easily picked up the first down). From the snap of the ball, Tannehill locked directly on to Raymond and never deviated. This is probably what caused Peters to jump the route to be honest.

5. The offensive line had played terrible for most of the game and they were in an obvious passing situation, so it would not be expected that Tannehill would have a lot of time in the pocket to scan the field.

While I cannot get into Tannehill's head, I think based on all of that, Tannehill had already decided he was going to Raymond pre snap.

If Davis had not been on the sideline, I'm pretty confident that the route was intended for him instead of Raymond.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing to think how the Texans are just absolutely burning down their own house. We are back to the Colts being the primary threat it looks like. Who knows if Urban translate well to the NFL game or sticks it out beyond two years.

Yes, the Colts are 2nd best and our only threat next season IMHO.

The Colts don’t have a QB on the roster. They have somewhere around $66 million to spend.

UFA
Rivers QB
Brisket QB
Hilton WR
Pascal WR
Burton TE
Houston DE
Autry .......Basically their entire Defensive Line
Walker LB
Carrie CB
Rhodes CB
Smith CB
Hooker S

Those are all starters. Especially on defense where they were good. That $66 million will go quick. I’m not too worried about a 1 year older Rivers, he did have a good year ... but who are they going to get? It’s simply the most important position on the team. Their defense will probably not be as good. My point is they are likely to be a very different team next season. I think they are the 2nd best team in the division but who knows. They could be 7-9ish 2nd best depending on who they sign.

Yes, the Colts are 2nd best and our only threat next season IMHO.

The Colts don’t have a QB on the roster. They have somewhere around $66 million to spend.

UFA
Rivers QB
Brisket QB
Hilton WR
Pascal WR
Burton TE
Houston DE
Autry .......Basically their entire Defensive Line
Walker LB
Carrie CB
Rhodes CB
Smith CB
Hooker S

Those are all starters. Especially on defense where they were good. That $66 million will go quick. I’m not too worried about a 1 year older Rivers, he did have a good year ... but who are they going to get? It’s simply the most important position on the team. Their defense will probably not be as good. My point is they are likely to be a very different team next season. I think they are the 2nd best team in the division but who knows. They could be 7-9ish 2nd best depending on who they sign.
So many potential changes from year to year that it’s silly to be worried about strength of schedule prior to the draft and free agency.

1. The formation and the routes run demonstrated only Raymond was attacking the middle of the field. His route was also the only one that tried to get behind the line backers playing zone. Brown looked only to be a decoy running a go route in order to draw safety help for that corner (which did not happen)

2. The Ravens pre snap adjustment (Peters backpelled prior to the snap for instance) and Raymonds 's route called for him to undercut Peters. In addition, the corner playing Brown was in press coverage, so Tannehill probably thought the safety was going to help him. Tannehill himself said that he started looking on the right side of the field and that he paid attention to what Peters had done by moving off his coverage.

3. From the snap, Tannehill only had his eyes on the side of the field that Raymond was lined up on and he never turned his head to the left hand side of the field (where Brown and Firsker lined up).

4. Tannehill did not look at Jonnu who was running the underneath route on the same side of the field as Raymond (near the sideline). In addition, Tannehill did not look at Derrick Henry who was wide open in the flat (and would have easily picked up the first down). From the snap of the ball, Tannehill locked directly on to Raymond and never deviated. This is probably what caused Peters to jump the route to be honest.

5. The offensive line had played terrible for most of the game and they were in an obvious passing situation, so it would not be expected that Tannehill would have a lot of time in the pocket to scan the field.

While I cannot get into Tannehill's head, I think based on all of that, Tannehill had already decided he was going to Raymond pre snap.

If Davis had not been on the sideline, I'm pretty confident that the route was intended for him instead of Raymond.

I appreciate the breakdown, and yeah I think Tannehill locked in on Raymond from the get go but my point is that doesn’t mean he was designed to be the first read on that play. It also doesn’t mean Tannehill made the correct read.

AJB had been pressed many times before and lined up by himself on one side of the field and it didn’t stop RT from looking and throwing his way. Why go away from that late in the game like that? Especially when AJB was the only Titan on offense doing anything.

I understand Ryan was trying to take what the defense gave him, but sometimes you gotta take matters into your own hands. Like the deep ball to AJ one week prior against Houston.

A DB backing off before the snap, in my opinion, should mean you are reading the safeties on the snap of the ball to find out if it’s cover 3 or cover 4. If one of the safeties breaks to the middle of the field and the other steps towards the line of scrimmage it’s cover 3 and AJ is one on one on the outside. Even in cover 4 he’d be one on one. The only way he’s not is if it’s cover 2. I can’t find video of the pick so I can’t remember specifically what the safeties did. But off memory I thought the FS was playing more the middle of the field indicating cover 3 (which is probably why Peters backed off so he can read the eyes and attack).

However, if you see press coverage on your best WR who has beaten press all day - why not look his way?? Makes no sense to me. He beats him off the line he’s open until the safety can get over to help. At worst it’s a 1st down.

Post game press conference live stream. Of course they asked about that play and specifically asked him why he didnt see Brown. He broke it down.

He didn’t say Raymond was the first the primary read on that play. He said he that’s who he locked into because of what the DB did. Totally different things.

I appreciate the breakdown, and yeah I think Tannehill locked in on Raymond from the get go but my point is that doesn’t mean he was designed to be the first read on that play. It also doesn’t mean Tannehill made the correct read.

AJB had been pressed many times before and lined up by himself on one side of the field and it didn’t stop RT from looking and throwing his way. Why go away from that late in the game like that? Especially when AJB was the only Titan on offense doing anything.

I understand Ryan was trying to take what the defense gave him, but sometimes you gotta take matters into your own hands. Like the deep ball to AJ one week prior against Houston.

A DB backing off before the snap, in my opinion, should mean you are reading the safeties on the snap of the ball to find out if it’s cover 3 or cover 4. If one of the safeties breaks to the middle of the field and the other steps towards the line of scrimmage it’s cover 3 and AJ is one on one on the outside. Even in cover 4 he’d be one on one. The only way he’s not is if it’s cover 2. I can’t find video of the pick so I can’t remember specifically what the safeties did. But off memory I thought the FS was playing more the middle of the field indicating cover 3 (which is probably why Peters backed off so he can read the eyes and attack).

However, if you see press coverage on your best WR who has beaten press all day - why not look his way?? Makes no sense to me. He beats him off the line he’s open until the safety can get over to help. At worst it’s a 1st down.

Without looking at the all-22 video, my gut tells me it was cover 3 (I can't see the safeties clear enough on the broadcast footage).

Watching the broadcast view again, I think it validates the explanation that RT may not have thought he would have enough time to throw a deep shot to Brown. The Ravens got a good push on that play and Quissenberry was pretty much beat by the time RT threw the ball. There doesn't appear to be much room for RT to step up in the pocket and throw a deep shot even if he had eventually looked to the left. Even if RT had looked at Smith and Firsker as well, both were well covered and the rush was closing in.

If RT had any fault in the play, it is that he stared down Raymond the whole way, and that probably allowed Peters to close the gap quicker than RT expected. However, if Raymond doesn't fall down, it's a good 20 yard completion as he probably would have still had inside position on Peters.

I bet in hindsight, RT probably wished he had thrown it to Henry for the safe completion and an easy first down, but when RT threw it Raymond was open. It's just one of those plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back