Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody acting like a torn ACL last year has nothing to do with Farley right now.

It is pretty universally understood that it takes 2 years to get back to 100%. You can probably get away with that more at some of the interior positions or offensive positions where people have to react to you.

You've got a guy that really hasn't played much football in the last 3 years. And he doesn't have full capacity to dig in a foot and change directions. As a cornerback.

There is a fair chance that he never does anything in this league. And there is a fair chance that he leaves after his rookie deal and someone else gets a really good cornerback (and JRob gets thrashed on here for letting him walk), but acting like he didn't have top 10 talent and film going into the draft is revisionist history.
You just described every bit of reasoning to have never even considered Farley as a first round pick. The pick would have been better used on any player that can play.

That leads to the frustration with JRob and his drafting issues.

Unfortunately for Farley, the ACL return rate to even playable levels set the expectations bar maybe higher than it should be. It is difficult to accept that a guy with such high expectations as to get drafted first round, wouldn’t even be able to make the starting roster in the beginning of his second season. No name UDFA are seeing time over him.

You just described every bit of reasoning to have never even considered Farley as a first round pick. The pick would have been better used on any player that can play.

Unfortunately for Farley, the ACL return rate to even playable levels set the expectations bar maybe higher than it should be. It is difficult to accept that a guy with such high expectations as to get drafted first round, wouldn’t even be able to make the starting roster in the beginning of his second season. No name UDFA are seeing time over him.

I mean, it was definitely a gamble pick. We had a good squad and a chance at some real talent that could push us to the next level. I think it was a reasonable pick. Even though it currently looks like it probably isn't going to work.

Exactly correct, he should not have been a first round pick at a position of need and after the Panda mess.
If CB was a top need...draft Newsome or Campbell...another case of JRob getting too cute

The draft is a crap shoot for every team..JRob has missed on players but he's had some good picks as well.

Won't count this year as time will tell

Good picks
Molden, Weaver, Fulton, Jackson (for a late rounder), Simmons, Davis, Hooker, Long, Landry, Henry, Byard

Still not sure
Farley, Radunz, Rice

2017 draft was a complete disappointment..lost 4 in FA.. understand the $ thing
If it was just a crap shoot, spending several million on GM’s and scouting departments wouldn’t be necessary. JRob has missed on many more early picks than he’s hit and that’s a poor trait for a GM to have.

If it was just a crap shoot, spending several million on GM’s and scouting departments wouldn’t be necessary. JRob has missed on many more early picks than he’s hit and that’s a poor trait for a GM to have.
First rounders can bust as much as late rounders can excel for any team..my beef with JRob is he tries to get cute with guys coming off injury rather than pick someone who can contribute now. He has made some good picks as well as some good FA signings. I'm sure it's not easy, it is for us after the fact

Everybody acting like a torn ACL last year has nothing to do with Farley right now.

It is pretty universally understood that it takes 2 years to get back to 100%. You can probably get away with that more at some of the interior positions or offensive positions where people have to react to you.

You've got a guy that really hasn't played much football in the last 3 years. And he doesn't have full capacity to dig in a foot and change directions. As a cornerback.

There is a fair chance that he never does anything in this league. And there is a fair chance that he leaves after his rookie deal and someone else gets a really good cornerback (and JRob gets thrashed on here for letting him walk), but acting like he didn't have top 10 talent and film going into the draft is revisionist history.
acting like he was not damaged goods is sadly not revisionist at all

First rounders can bust as much as late rounders can excel for any team..my beef with JRob is he tries to get cute with guys coming off injury rather than pick someone who can contribute now. He has made some good picks as well as some good FA signings. I'm sure it's not easy, it is for us after the fact
First rounders hit at a much higher rate than late rounders. It’s a lot more than him being cute. He’s just not a great talent evaluator. He‘s better than Webster and hired a great coach that gets the most out of his players but he’s now holding this team back with his bad decisions.

I was super excited about the pick, however, making plays is the job. His plays have been in reverse. It’s not the talent, he just looks lost at times.

I was super excited about the pick, however, making plays is the job. His plays have been in reverse. It’s not the talent, he just looks lost at times.

He definitely looked lost against the Bills.

On that big catch he gave up last week, he wasn't lost. He was in good position and he just couldn't change directions. Then he made the tackle. He'll be more capable of defending that ball year 2 off the knee.

First rounders hit at a much higher rate than late rounders. It’s a lot more than him being cute. He’s just not a great talent evaluator. He‘s better than Webster and hired a great coach that gets the most out of his players but he’s now holding this team back with his bad decisions.
Out of PFF’s top 25 cornerbacks right now, 7 were selected in the 1st round. Out of the top 50, 11 were drafted in the 1st round. The vast majority of the top corners were not drafted in the 1st.

Out of PFF’s top 25 cornerbacks right now, 7 were selected in the 1st round. Out of the top 50, 11 were drafted in the 1st round. The vast majority of the top corners were not drafted in the 1st.
That’s true and I’m not actually arguing against what you’re saying but there is more info needed to help prove your point.

For example, if only 11 CB were drafted in the first round and all of them are top 50, then it would be fair to say a first round CB should be productive.
I know that’s not the case.

You’re not very good at math are you? There are 7 rounds in case you didn’t know. Almost 1/3 of the top 25 were in the first round. See how that works? Of course “the vast majority of top corners were not drafted in the 1st round” there are 6 other rounds! My god. See what percentage of players never make an nfl roster drafted at the back of the draft compared to those drafted at the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back