Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason Jackson wasn't traded is because everyone knew he was being cut anyway. Why trade for a player that is going to be a free agent if you just sit back and wait? Plus, you possibly get him cheaper that way.

Honestly, I've watched Jackson get burned way too many times to feel like he's anything other than maybe average at best. Felt that maybe he had potential... But if he hasn't capitalized on that in 4 years, it's time to move on.

The reason Jackson wasn't traded is because everyone knew he was being cut anyway. Why trade for a player that is going to be a free agent if you just sit back and wait? Plus, you possibly get him cheaper that way.

Honestly, I've watched Jackson get burned way too many times to feel like he's anything other than maybe average at best. Felt that maybe he had potential... But if he hasn't capitalized on that in 4 years, it's time to move on.

BS. The reason he didn't get traded is because JR didn't do his due diligence before the cut date. Again, if he's worth 39 million to 1 team who was clearly in a bid war with other teams, then one of those teams would've been happy to pay a mid round pick to assure they get him. On a cheaper contract than what they were willing to pay him at that. Think about it, that's easy logic. Y'all spending all this time defending a dude who isn't spending time trying to make this team the best we can possibly be. Lol. Yikes...

He panic cut adoree without exploring all trade possibilities beforehand and we all know it. Do better JR!

Last edited by a moderator:
He panic cut adoree without exploring all trade possibilities beforehand and we all know it. Do better JR!
It does seem we might have got something for him, frustrating. Double whammy he won’t get us a comp pick either with that massive contract..

Signing a dude to a 3 year deal is very different than giving up something for a 1 year rental.

If you traded for Adoree, you would have to assume that he is walking after a year.

I didn't mind dumping AJ. 2 INTs in 4 years is f'in pathetic. And he never did chit in returns which was one of the main reasons we took him at #17 overall. #17 OVERALL!.

I don't know how people still defend that JRob is a superstar GM. Both Davis at #5 overall and AJ at #17 overall are gone, off the team and with nothing to show for that draft capital spent. Neither one of these guys should have ever been drafted at that position. And if you suggest that they are as great as other teams think, they should have been moved in a fashion to retain some value for our team. That's just pathetic GM'ing.

JRob is not terrible. JRob is definitely not great. He's slightly above average.

I don't disagree with that, but being a GM involves some salesmanship. JRob should've done better to introduce some doubt we're cutting AJ. And we all knew months ago that AJ25 was one of guys at risk for a cap casualty.

How do we know JRob didn't explore trade partners? And just no one interested?
Its not like its Jalen Ramsey we are talking about

The grizzlies gm traded Mike conley and a 30 million dollar contract for a 1st rd pick in which they got Brandon clarke. He also traded an expiring contract for iguodala and a 1st round pick. And then traded iguodala for a 1st round pick.

All I'm saying is it's possible to find a professional GM who is actually a genius and works other GMs with their wit and smarts. JR is not that type of gm clearly.

I was exaggerating a bit about getting a 2nd for adoree, but we should've gotten something at the very least. The fact that we got nothing at all and then he signed a 39 million dollar contract proves that we could've easily gotten something of value. It also proves the ineptitude of our FO. You telling me the giants wanted him bad enough to throw him all that money but wouldn't have given up a pick for him? That's laughable. No, our GM just didn't do his due diligence like a true professional should.

Also the hypocrisy of this post is hilarious. You literally just posted in the other thread that OJ howard wouldn't be traded for anything less than a 3rd rd pick and now you're getting on me for saying adoree could've been traded for a 2nd in an ideal world. Lol
Well about 27 out of the 32 NFL franchises spend millions and millions of dollars still looking for that GM every handful of years. They don't seem to realize how easy it is. Maybe you should throw in your resume.

The "ineptitude of this FO" took us from a decade of mediocrity and two back-to-back seasons with a total of 5 wins, to 5 consecutive winning seasons, 3 playoff births, an AFC Championship appearance, and a competitive roster and culture all culminating to our first double-digit win season and division title since 2008. We are moving in the right direction, but how quickly do we become spoiled?

I get it. It's disappointing that our first round pick underperformed and we got nothing in return for him. Well, what we got was an expensive, underperforming, possibly injured player off the payroll. Now some failing GM is overpaying for him and you're using that as your measuring stick? If you choose to believe the guy that has turned around this franchise didn't do his due diligence, so be it. That's on you. I think otherwise. Maybe the team knows something us fans don't. Only time will tell.

Hypocrisy? My whole point in the other post is that it is very unlikely they trade OJ Howard. I think it was my very first sentence. I doubt anyone offers them anything and if OJ Howard does get cut, someone will probably overpay him. It's what happens. That said, a $6M contact is much different from a $10M contract when you can't bring that player in on a visit.

And I'm not saying Jrob is the worst by any means. I'm enjoying this success while it lasts, I'm just afraid it won't last long if he keeps making as many poor decisions as he does good decisions. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I like JRob and I realize we could do worse, that's why I want him to succeed. And, IMO, you succeed by doing things like like trading a valuable player for a pick instead of cutting him because you didn't do your due to diligence or at the very least you weren't prepared.

Also, nba is a little different than the nfl. It's arguable that it's harder to do a rebuild in the NBA due to super teams, the soft cap, etc. I'm not trying to compare apples to oranges, just saying there are genius type people out there who could do JRs job better than him, and I hope Amy and JR both realize that soon so our team can see true, extended success.
Bro... it is waaay easier to rebuild in the NBA than in the NFL for the exact reasons you mentioned. There are max salaries and a roster of 11. You can buy your super team like the Heat and Lakers.

I didn't mind dumping AJ. 2 INTs in 4 years is f'in pathetic. And he never did chit in returns which was one of the main reasons we took him at #17 overall. #17 OVERALL!.

I don't know how people still defend that JRob is a superstar GM. Both Davis at #5 overall and AJ at #17 overall are gone, off the team and with nothing to show for that draft capital spent. Neither one of these guys should have ever been drafted at that position. And if you suggest that they are as great as other teams think, they should have been moved in a fashion to retain some value for our team. That's just pathetic GM'ing.

JRob is not terrible. JRob is definitely not great. He's slightly above average.
What we have to show for it is an AFC Championship appearance, a divisional title, and an arrow pointing up. Not the ultimate goal but not bad. Roster turnover is normal, regardless of how or where you acquired those players.

What we have to show for it is an AFC Championship appearance, a divisional title, and an arrow pointing up. Not the ultimate goal but not bad. Roster turnover is normal, regardless of how or where you acquired those players.

I don't disagree with part of what you're saying but the arrow is not pointing up. We were AFC Championship game 2 years ago, bumped in round one last year. So technically, arrow is pointing down. And we don't have those 1st round picks on the roster any more (Conklin, Davis, Smith, Jackson.....). Just keeping it real.

I don't disagree with part of what you're saying but the arrow is not pointing up. We were AFC Championship game 2 years ago, bumped in round one last year. So technically, arrow is pointing down. And we don't have those 1st round picks on the roster any more (Conklin, Davis, Smith, Jackson.....). Just keeping it real.

The 4 guys you listed got 114mil GUARANTEED in their contracts combined...I think JRob understands that you don’t build a team around a RT, WR2, TE and CB with 2ints in 4 yrs.

I hate losing guys but the cap is what it is.

How do we know JRob didn't explore trade partners? And just no one interested?
Its not like its Jalen Ramsey we are talking about
Hopefully that’s what happened - it’s just odd that NYG were so keen to get him, they gave him 26m guaranteed to stop him even flying to Philadelphia. If they were that insistent on acquiring him / there was a market for him, we might have got something for him in a trade that’s all. Of course it could be Gettleman reaching massively and bidding against himself. We’ll never know.

Nothing to show for that draft capital? How about 5 straight winning seasons and a trip to the AFC Championship game?

Now don’t get me wrong I disagree with how they handled Adoree situation but seems to be a lot of jumping to conclusions here. How do you know JRob didn’t pursue a trade? If teams know you’re about to cut someone why trade AND have to sign them to an extension?

Also let’s consider the fact that the NFL doesn’t trade players who are about to be free agents just so they can re coop draft picks. If so, why didn’t Pittsburgh trade Bud Dupree and all the other players they lost? Washington didn’t trade Kirk Cousins. Steelers didn’t trade Lev Bell. Houston didn’t trade JJ Watt. Lions didn’t trade Golladay. Patriots didn’t trade Thuney or Tom Brady.

It’s fair to be critical but let’s not be irrational.

The benefit of trading for a potential player to be cut is that you get him...he hits FA he can pick any team

I posted earlier that we don't know if JRob pursued a trade , maybe he did and no takers, maybe Adoree wouldn't restructure, who knows

Nothing to show for that draft capital? How about 5 straight winning seasons and a trip to the AFC Championship game?

Now don’t get me wrong I disagree with how they handled Adoree situation but seems to be a lot of jumping to conclusions here. How do you know JRob didn’t pursue a trade? If teams know you’re about to cut someone why trade AND have to sign them to an extension?

Also let’s consider the fact that the NFL doesn’t trade players who are about to be free agents just so they can re coop draft picks. If so, why didn’t Pittsburgh trade Bud Dupree and all the other players they lost? Washington didn’t trade Kirk Cousins. Steelers didn’t trade Lev Bell. Houston didn’t trade JJ Watt. Lions didn’t trade Golladay. Patriots didn’t trade Thuney or Tom Brady.

It’s fair to be critical but let’s not be irrational.

point is JRob slightly above average. We don’t have any players or picks from those first founders that walked. The same players that got us those accolades you referenced. It’s not irrational it’s just summary math.

blind loyalty to idea that JRob is done great GM, or anything slightly above average is irrational. :brow:

The 4 guys you listed got 114mil GUARANTEED in their contracts combined...I think JRob understands that you don’t build a team around a RT, WR2, TE and CB with 2ints in 4 yrs.

I hate losing guys but the cap is what it is.
Could have moved them cheaper to those teams and got something in return.

point is JRob slightly above average. We don’t have any players or picks from those first founders that walked. The same players that got us those accolades you referenced. It’s not irrational it’s just summary math.

blind loyalty to idea that JRob is done great GM, or anything slightly above average is irrational. :brow:

We got comp picks for them leaving....

Could have moved them cheaper to those teams and got something in return.

this is literally why the compensatory draft picks were created. We will get a third or fourth round pick for Cory Davis and we will get a third round pick for Jonnu. We got a third round pick for Conklin. That’s basically like trading them, and I’d argue we wouldn’t have gotten those picks for those players in a free agency year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back