Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone has spent any amount of time in a lockeroom growing up then you can read the articles and understand that what Gruden said isn’t even the worst emails they found. This is a cover up from the WFT owner. He doesn’t want the real details to come out. Especially since Gruden is being dragged for what he said 10 years ago…

The WTF emails will be released, lol.

If he shows up in the new Chucky TV series, that would be worth watching. Just an awkward staredown would be must see tv.

You don’t see issue with this if he wasn’t part of the investigation at all and someone just happened upon some emails meant for only those in the To/From, from 10 years ago and getting fired (forced to resign) off public opinion of those contents?

Consider all possibilities here, who determines the “ist”? Not a fan of his actions at all and think he’s pretty stupid for using his work email in which he is expected to comply with user agreement. If this wasn’t found by the league’s own IT’s at some point recently after sending, then it just looks as if the NFL was fine with this up until the WFT investigation found it or they don’t enforce their own user agreement. So to me, gruden would be a symptom, not the disease and the NFL’s complicity is the bigger issue. That’s especially true since nothing illegal was done, just unfavorable jokes/ statements/ opinions, whatever you want to call them.

it does matter if he was specifically part of the investigation. That means he was a person of interest in the “culture” problem in Washington and with comments like this, could be considered a contributor to that culture. Just still not sure why it took the NFL 10 years to find their own emails failing to meet user agreements.

So the same public opinion that wants Gruden ousted (which he is) should also be clamoring for further NFL investigations to all 32 teams, league offices, and potentially shut them down for being complicit on the matter.

Don’t pick and choose, boycott the NFL until they make changes to stop hurtful (potentially) emails. Better monitor and record all locker room conversations too, have zero doubt that all kinds of inappropriate conversations that involve all the “ists” take place within the NFL’s place of business. And that’s currently, I can only imagine what was said back in the 60’s.

I’m glad you’re taking a stand to shut down the NFL. Good for you and good luck in your mission.

No one is going on any witch hunts in the NFL. I doubt anyone set out to “get Gruden.” And he was certainly unlucky that this email came to light. It was rather random that it did, and I can completely understand the sense of unfairness that comes from that. I get that part of what you are saying. But there is no way that once it comes out those perceivable unfair factor can mitigate the out. Regardless of how it came out or the circumstances surrounding it, the jeenie is out of the bottle, the damage is done and nothing can be done about.

No one is going on any witch hunts in the NFL. I doubt anyone set out to “get Gruden.” And he was certainly unlucky that this email came to light. It was rather random that it did, and I can completely understand the sense of unfairness that comes from that. I get that part of what you are saying. But there is no way that once it comes out those perceivable unfair factor can mitigate the out. Regardless of how it came out or the circumstances surrounding it, the jeenie is out of the bottle, the damage is done and nothing can be done about.
Is that you Goodell?

I disagree with a lot of this but you’re right in the idea it can’t be unseen.

It didn’t need to be publicly released. No one gains anything from that unless it’s (another) attempt by the NFL to appear as if they’re sensitive to these issues. They are 100% not.

The NFL also should recognize that this was 10 years ago and partially on them for not catching it sooner/being a part of a larger company allowing the redskins to operate like they did.

I also don’t like the general “intimidate until resign” or fire people for historical communications.
A) it is not consistently enforced (note our POTUS as an example).
B) it is assumed that people don’t change and something said 10 years ago is still representative of them today. (I’ll ask anyone here, are you the same as you were 10 years ago? Especially if you’ve had any life epiphany?)
C) why is our general society ok with life training/rehabilitation in so many other settings but come across something like this, assume he meant the absolute worst, and has no ability to learn or receive some sort of training to learn why not to say/do this? For comparison sake, the US largely believes that someone who kills another person, can be taught and learn to still go back among society. I’d say this is a much lesser crime and likely easier to teach from. We’re a country built on many second chances after major mistakes. This has been deemed unredeemable from for Gruden.

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree with a lot of this but you’re right in the idea it can’t be unseen.

It didn’t need to be publicly released. No one gains anything from that unless it’s (another) attempt by the NFL to appear as if they’re sensitive to these issues. They are 100% not.

The NFL also should recognize that this was 10 years ago and partially on them for not catching it sooner/being a part of a larger company allowing the redskins to operate like they did.

I also don’t like the general “intimidate until resign” or fire people for historical communications.
A) it is not consistently enforced (note our POTUS as an example).
B) it is assumed that people don’t change and something said 10 years ago is still representative of them today. (I’ll ask anyone here, are you the same as you were 10 years ago? Especially if you’ve had any life epiphany?)
C) why is our general society ok with life training/rehabilitation in so many other settings but come across something like this, assume he meant the absolute worst, and has no ability to learn or receive some sort of training to learn why not to say/do this? For comparison sake, the US largely believes that someone who kills another person, can be taught and learn to still go back among society. I’d say this is a much lesser crime and likely easier to teach from. We’re a country built on many second chances after major mistakes. This has been deemed up redeemable from.

Very respectful post of all viewpoints on the matter.

I heard a phrase last night on a news program discussing the cancel culture. "Thought crimes" are more severely punished than "violent crimes" in this new cancel culture. And the problem with this is just as you pointed out above. "Thought crimes" are subjective and can not be enforced fairly and equally. Truthfully, they can not even be defined in non arbitrary terms.

This paradigm shift really worries me as an older person. I view this cancel culture methodology in the same light as I do vigilante justice, lynch mob and witch hunt mentality. Individuals and their livelihood are arbitrarily destroyed to advance economic power interests of a segment of the population. And it utilizes socio/political/religious frustrations from the populus as its power base to do so. Lynch mobs, Witch Trials, totalitarianism, communism, hell- even getting an entire country to support genocide- it all follows the same basic formula. Left unchecked, it is very dangerous to the preservation of our current way of life in this US.

I heard a phrase last night on a news program discussing the cancel culture. "Thought crimes" are more severely punished than "violent crimes" in this new cancel culture. And the problem with this is just as you pointed out above. "Thought crimes" are subjective and can not be enforced fairly and equally. Truthfully, they can not even be defined in non arbitrary terms.

This paradigm shift really worries me as an older person. I view this cancel culture methodology in the same light as I do vigilante justice, lynch mob and witch hunt mentality. Individuals and their livelihood are arbitrarily destroyed to advance economic power interests of a segment of the population. And it utilizes socio/political/religious frustrations from the populus as its power base to do so. Lynch mobs, Witch Trials, totalitarianism, communism, hell- even getting an entire country to support genocide- it all follows the same basic formula. Left unchecked, it is very dangerous to the preservation of our current way of life in this US.
on point.
While the Gruden case on its own is really not all that big a deal, match with a lot of other similarly subjective instances and we have entered a slippery slope of approval on these topics and how they’ve been handled. There is absolutely a bigger pictures issue when people defend Gruden not to mention the misunderstanding of defending Gruden in a freedom of speech fashion vs defending what he actually said.

There is a a general misunderstanding (or unwillingness to) that defending an a$sh01e’s opinion to say something (really words don’t hurt anyone, we can all ignore and move on) is not the same as defending and agreeing with the specifics of what was said.

There are plenty of instances where I think "cancel culture" goes to far, but in saying that, this situation isn't cancel culture. Every time someone loses their job it doesn't mean it is because of "cancel culture". He wasn't fired because of political views (like a certain QB who many of you didn't mind being canceled), religious views, etc etc. He was fired because of racial, sexist, and homophobic slurs. Do you think it is ever ok to fire a person because of things they say?

on point.
While the Gruden case on its own is really not all that big a deal, match with a lot of other similarly subjective instances and we have entered a slippery slope of approval on these topics and how they’ve been handled. There is absolutely a bigger pictures issue when people defend Gruden not to mention the misunderstanding of defending Gruden in a freedom of speech fashion vs defending what he actually said.

There is a a general misunderstanding (or unwillingness to) that defending an a$sh01e’s opinion to say something (really words don’t hurt anyone, we can all ignore and move on) is not the same as defending and agreeing with the specifics of what was said.

There isn't an employee in the country who is going to stand buy and let one of their employees embarrass them publicly, and not punish that person in some fashion or another. You guys act like the whole concept of someone being fired is something new, it isn't. People have long been fired for these types of situations.

I think there is some misdirected annoyance (anger is likely too strong a word) in this thread.

The real problem is the piece of trash that released this information. There really was no reason for Gruden's emails with a friend to be released to the public (or for so-and-so's tweets from x years ago to be brought back up, or... ). The people doing that kind of stuff are the real enemy here. dg1979us is right, there's no way Gruden could've stayed in his current job with this information brought to light; but that's not on the NFL (a business), that's on our idiotic culture.

I think there is some misdirected annoyance (anger is likely too strong a word) in this thread.

The real problem is the piece of trash that released this information. There really was no reason for Gruden's emails with a friend to be released to the public (or for so-and-so's tweets from x years ago to be brought back up, or... ). The people doing that kind of stuff are the real enemy here. dg1979us is right, there's no way Gruden could've stayed in his current job with this information brought to light; but that's not on the NFL (a business), that's on our idiotic culture.

I am interested if we ever find out who was leaking his emails, it certainly appears someone had an axe to grind with him.

There are plenty of instances where I think "cancel culture" goes to far, but in saying that, this situation isn't cancel culture. Every time someone loses their job it doesn't mean it is because of "cancel culture". He wasn't fired because of political views (like a certain QB who many of you didn't mind being canceled), religious views, etc etc. He was fired because of racial, sexist, and homophobic slurs. Do you think it is ever ok to fire a person because of things they say?

only if it violates the freedom of speech exclusions as defined by our constitution and local written and valid LAWS Eg- inciting a riot, not endangering others etc.

Do you think it’s ok for only one segment of society to be given free reign to use particular words?

There isn't an employee in the country who is going to stand buy and let one of their employees embarrass them publicly, and not punish that person in some fashion or another. You guys act like the whole concept of someone being fired is something new, it isn't. People have long been fired for these types of situations.
Why were they publicly embarrassed? Did the NFL, the Raiders, or the Redskins release this info?

second, as I stated, why is there no opportunity for training/rehab? There are other instances equally, if not more egregious than this, where that was a possibility and even backed by the company.

I think the NFL MAY have released this in an effort to appear as if they care about these issues and only Gruden was the cost. Maybe we should expect to see more from the WFT investigation and this is part of the NFL’s distraction.

only if it violates the freedom of speech exclusions as defined by our constitution and local written and valid LAWS Eg- inciting a riot, not endangering others etc.

Do you think it’s ok for only one segment of society to be given free reign to use particular words?

THis has nothing to do with the constitution. An employer doesn't have to consult the constitution when deciding if someone should be terminated or not. NFL coaches get fired all the time, so it is strange you guys are so hellbent on acting like this is some sort of violation of his rights. It isn't, but if it is, then should every NFL coach be allowed to complete their contract no matter what?

I think there are pretty obvious reasons why some words are acceptable if said by some people, and not by others yes, but obviously this is a very nuanced conversation.

You are another saying CK was canx.
That’s just false narrative. He was released by SF and no team signed him.
An investigation was completed to see if he was “blackballed” and it was determined he was not or at least no proof of it.

so he is absolutely no different of a scenario leaving the NFL than Tim Tebow as an example.
No canx involved.

Why were they publicly embarrassed? Did the NFL, the Raiders, or the Redskins release this info?

second, as I stated, why is there no opportunity for training/rehab? There are other instances equally, if not more egregious than this, where that was a possibility and even backed by the company.

I think the NFL MAY have released this in an effort to appear as if they care about these issues and only Gruden was the cost. Maybe we should expect to see more from the WFT investigation and this is part of the NFL’s distraction.

I don't know who released it, but it doesn't matter. Once the info was out, it obviously wasn't a good look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back