Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe it’s just the style of offense but if jones were here and ends the season as a 70 catch 1000 yard WR, he seems under utilized for the cost. With the 50/50 balance (which I like) those production numbers aren’t gonna go up unless Brown is cut out more.
So another WR would be worthwhile to help out both Brown and Henry, I don’t think the money is well spent on Jones when the same production could be reached for cheaper.

All that said, I’m for spending every dollar available, even if it means cap trouble next year, for a SB victory this year. If Jones is that piece, do it.
Not necessarily. If Jones absorbs all of CD’s yardage and a percentage of Smith’s then there you go. Of course Davis not only missed some time with injuries, but went through some dropsies too, so basically could be a more efficient Davis. In looking at what 1 Davis and 1 Smith got, I would trade those two and the cap savings for Jones. With Downing’s expected to increase the passing focus a bit, could be a brutal match up for teams.

I think he adds the yards Davis dropped and increases TDs not only for himself, but for teammates by drawing more defensive focus than Davis did.
Maybe a few years ago. I don't really see it as a huge upgrade today, and it is a costly move. If he is the key, I'll be for it, but I just don't see it.

The Titans problems on on defense and 3rd down particularly are not from quick passes. They were from QBs having to my name time to get a receiver open. Our secondary isn’t bad and is NOT the problem. The Titans were fine on downs 1 and 2. It was 3rd downs where they couldn’t get off the field. Lack of pass rush was the problem. No pressure. CBs can’t cover forever.
Seriously? You going to put 100% of the blame of a 31st D vs. the pass on the lack of a pass rush? I watched QBs torching Titans all season long because they played seven yards off the LoS.

That is quite a big statement. So how many more yards and Td's does he add over Davis from last year?

That’s not the point is it? At least it isn’t the right question. How many yards or TDs does he help Henry and Brown get they might not get without him? Or how many yards or TDs does he get as a Colt?

Not necessarily. If Jones absorbs all of CD’s yardage and a percentage of Smith’s then there you go. Of course Davis not only missed some time with injuries, but went through some dropsies too, so basically could be a more efficient Davis. In looking at what 1 Davis and 1 Smith got, I would trade those two and the cap savings for Jones. With Downing’s expected to increase the passing focus a bit, could be a brutal match up for teams.
I suppose that’s possible too.
Your pint on downing increasing the passing is new news to me. If that’s the plan, I’m all for another WR.
Not feeling all that confident in rookies, Fred Brown, and the stand alone star, brown. Hope I’m wrong and these are new names of the future,

Seriously? You going to put 100% of the blame of a 31st D vs. the pass on the lack of a pass rush? I watched QBs torching Titans all season long because they played seven yards off the LoS.

Yes ... the entire defense was out of position, weak and lacked depth all year. That problem doesn’t exist anymore. QBs weren’t “ torching “ the Titans all season long because of the 7 yard cushion either. That’s off man coverage and employed by NFL teams 56% of the time.

The problem was simply lack of pass rush. Hopefully that’s been fixed. It isn’t lack of talent in the secondary.

QBs nullify the pass rush with quick passes. That's what happened much of last season.

Started with the Steelers game and occurred for the rest of the season. Teams would throw underneath and because the corners were so far off the LOS, receivers had little trouble getting yards after the catch. Quarterbacks were getting the ball out in just over 2 seconds in many games

All this talk about giving up anything for Jones doesn't make sense when you realize how a below average to bad secondary in '20 may be WORSE in '21 because of lack of experience.

Let's start out with Jenkins vs. Butler. Jenkins is actually a year older. If you believe PFF, Jenkins graded a 66.0 (3 INTs) and Butler 72.7 (4 INTs) last season though Jenkins graded much higher vs. the run.

I don't see Jenkins upgrading Butler's performance of last season though we all know Butler played his best season as a Titan. Jenkins played in only 13 games last season but has, by far, the most experience among the CBs.

Let's move to Kristian Fulton who, IMO, is a big unknown. He missed 10 games as a rookie. When he played, he received a grade of 57.5. No one questions his talents and he should be the starter at the slot at the start of camp but missing that much means he's basically still a rookie and we'll likely see inconsistent play from him this upcoming season.

Caleb Farley is no doubt a top talent but he's far from a certainty. He's not played since '19 and has an injury history which is why the Titans were able to get him when they did. He'll be a total boom or bust, IMO, but I don't see him starting on the outside the start of this season. If he can't, it may mean Fulton will be moved out there.

As far as depth goes, we have Breon Borders who does have some experience and might push to start at slot if Farley can't go and the Titans are forced to move Fulton outside. Or, Kevin Johnson could push to start at nickel though he's been nothing but a disappointment so far since the Texans took him at #16 in the '15 draft. Based on his history, he may not even make the roster.

I think rookie Elijah Molden is the dark horse to start at nickel if he has a great camp. But, again, no experience.

Mabin and Jackson are guys who might push to make the roster but they don't give me a lot of confidence if either end up being needed in '21. Jackson is entering his second season.

Any way this shakes out, this unit is very inexperienced and will need time to gel. The talent is there but it's as uncertain a position group as the Titans have had in a long time, IMO.

That's why, if I'm JRob, I'm looking for help here. Maybe that comes in the form of a CB being released next week but I wouldn't be surprised to see, if the Titans were more willing to make a trade if they can find a team willing to deal an experienced CB.

Realistic assessment. Great points here.

Where are you getting this information?

Lol then you will complain we didn't sign him!

As far as my yes to the ring question...last year isn't fair to what he's done in his career...what he will do for AJ, Henry and Tannehill would be huge IMHO
No, I will not complain. I understand your point. Obviously we are thin , but Julio comes with a big cost. It’s my opinion that price isn’t worth it, but hey though, that’s just me. I think he’ll add about zero to CD last year... again opinion.

We would probably have to give up significantly more in a trade for a CB...

We would hold no upper hand whatsoever in that kind of trade -- GM's across the league know we have a laundry list of question marks at defensive back, except maybe FS...... and to get as close to a sure thing as possible, they're going to milk it...

Remember when Teddy Bridgewater went down in Minnesota? -- the Eagles were able to squeeze out a 1st round pick AND a 4th round pick...

We are certainly better than last year. Injuries could kill the season at any spot. Last year I went in thinking SB possible- then gassed by Vic’s vapor rub, Clown car. This team is really good still, and in my opinion better. Need a non personal injury season, and some step up is all. Still good enough to beat anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back