Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. But JRob responsible for the plan that didn’t work out (for whatever reason). That’s his job. And I don’t think anybody can argue that we shouldn’t see more return on the draft capital spent in the first round. You can retain value by trading players if you know you’re not going to extend them. That’s how the top GMs retain the value. And they also employ analytics.

I agree on that. Though, you also get a comp pick if they leave, so there's a fine line to walk in knowing whether that player's trade value and cap space is worth than his production plus a potential 3rd round comp pick.

I wish we would have signed Henry earlier in the off-season last year so we could have tagged Conk and then have the ability to trade him if we couldn't come to an extension. But, COVID could also be part of the reason Henry signed the deal he did, so maybe that wasn't an option prior to free agency.

I think if the cap situation were like a normal year, we might have kept Butler and traded Adoree for a mid rounder. Or may be we'd have tagged Jonnu, Davis, or Brown.

JRob responsible for cap situation and team needs. You simply can’t rationalize this as unique to JRob.

I’m not.. I’m making the exact opposite argument. It’s hurt everybody, but a year ago or 2 NO GM could have foreseen this off season. He can’t be blamed for losing $ 40 million in cap space. GMs don’t plan year to year. they plan years in advance. If anyone says JRob is a bad GM because he didn’t see 2 years ago that this years cap would be $182 million instead of $220 million then you are crazy. He had to adjust and there are people unrealistically crucifying him for it.

5 of the 6 turned out to be be quality players. That isn't "struggling" in the 1st round. Whether we keep them past their rookie contract or not is completely irrelevant. The fact is, you can't keep everyone you draft, even the really good players. The money just isn't there to sign eeveryone.

FYI, the amount of players that are re-signed by they're drafted team after they're rookie contracts is pretty low.
How low? Is it <16%?

How low? Is it <16%?

Pretty close. An article from 2002-2003 was posted about it somewhere in this thread and talked about only 44 players remained with their original team from the 98 draft, which is roughly 17% of the total amount of players drafted, (or a little over 1 per team).

I agree on that. Though, you also get a comp pick if they leave, so there's a fine line to walk in knowing whether that player's trade value and cap space is worth than his production plus a potential 3rd round comp pick.

I wish we would have signed Henry earlier in the off-season last year so we could have tagged Conk and then have the ability to trade him if we couldn't come to an extension. But, COVID could also be part of the reason Henry signed the deal he did, so maybe that wasn't an option prior to free agency.

I think if the cap situation were like a normal year, we might have kept Butler and traded Adoree for a mid rounder. Or may be we'd have tagged Jonnu, Davis, or Brown.

Other GMs kicking the can down the road to take advantage of the anticipated list Covid increase. You just can’t rationalize Covid unique to Titans and the effects.

Pretty close. An article from 2002-2003 was posted about it somewhere in this thread and talked about only 44 players remained with their original team from the 98 draft, which is roughly 17% of the total amount of players drafted, (or a little over 1 per team).
One draft, from 23 years ago, and including the whole draft not just round 1. Not the same thing at all but I appreciate the effort.

Yes. That’s my point. Covid isn’t unique to Titans or JRob. Can’t justify without it we’d becdifferentbtgsnntgrnotget teams/ GMs.

But the situation in general is unique and some teams are affected much more heavily than others because of it. No team could have predicted a 16 million dollar decrease in the cap.

let me add that it is a cost saving move to EXTEND players while still on your team. The decision is made not to extend (or rescind) players if they aren’t performing at a level the “discount” to free market allows.

so JRob has a high rate (per picks) of 1st round picks that move on to other teams. That is unquestionably a statement that either they shouldn’t have been a 1st round pick or a mistake in extending or not was made. Both reflect the GMs performance. Now before a few blow up, using that to assess JRobs performance on other rounds is better than average. So overall, he’s slightly above average IMO.
I agree, I just think it’s not as easy to just say that a player is performing to assume re-signing is always possible. Unfortunately due to cost, some good players have to go. Timing is why Conklin is gone vs, CD or Jackson both of which I don’t believe played to a first round pick level.

The next part of that was this":

only four -- defensive end Patrick Kerney (Atlanta), quarterback Daunte Culpepper (Minnesota), quarterback Donovan McNabb (Philadelphia) and left tackle Luke Petitgout (NY Giants) -- have received huge contract extensions. Several players whose rookie contracts are set to expire over the next year or two may be heading to different teams in free agency.

Granted this looks like it was written back around 2002-2003. So may be things have changed.
Definitely have. With those names suggested, this was before the rookie salary cap was in place.

I agree, I just think it’s not as easy to just say that a player is performing to assume re-signing is always possible. Unfortunately due to cost, some good players have to go. Timing is why Conklin is gone vs, CD or Jackson both of which I don’t believe played to a first round pick level.
I understand and agree. I have a problem with cutting a player at the wire, especially a 1st rounder and essentially getting nothing in return of that draft capital. Been better to have known earlier to either let test the market and get compensatory pick or shop the guy. You have make that tough call during the extension window.

Yes that's true...I'm sure there is more to come this offseason
Like you said the Wilson pick phucked us...if he showed promise I'm sure losing Conklin would be a mute point

Its more Davis, yes he didn't live up to the #5 pick but thats on the Titans not him, he didn't ask to be drafted 5th overall
He turned into a good #2 with AJB
I think the point is, why not lock him up after his 3rd year?
2017- 375 yds 0 TDs
2018- 891 yds 4 TDs
2019- 601 yds 2 TDs

Surely after taking him at 5, we could have extended him at a reasonable deal at year 3? He was a good team player, blocked well, did all the little things. Good #2 if not a #1B?

Not saying he's an all pro but he's decent

Now who will replace him?
I think this is what some are suggesting overall to keep players, extending them early. Timing makes a difference. Had he been extended in year 3, we don’t have an AJ Brown yet, no humphries, and CD is looking like a bad selection of a first round pick due to health concerns and overall production. At that time, why are we extending him.

One draft, from 23 years ago, and including the whole draft not just round 1. Not the same thing at all but I appreciate the effort.

It did include the 1st rounders, and only 14 of them were 1st rounders. So suffice to say, less than half of all first rounders re-sign with the team they drafted them. From the 1999 draft, only 4 first rounders had signed long term contracts.

More recently from the 2016 draft who would have seen they're rookie contracts end this year, only 8 1st round players are still with their drafted team. From 2015 only 6. You see where I'm going here?

AAS stated numerous times Super Bowl is her goal. Met her personally at the Chiefs wildcard game couple years ago. She said it there also.

Of course she says this. And of course that is her goal. But the issue is does she fire JRob for not getting there even if the team is competing for Super Bowls. She probably isn’t giving out that info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back