Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
It did include the 1st rounders, and only 14 of them were 1st rounders. So suffice to say, less than half of all first rounders re-sign with the team they drafted them. From the 1999 draft, only 4 first rounders had signed long term contracts.

More recently from the 2016 draft who would have seen they're rookie contracts end this year, only 8 1st round players are still with their drafted team. From 2015 only 6. You see where I'm going here?
14/32=44%
8/32=25%
6/32=19%
Overall average 29%

You picked three years, in all three 1st rounders were retained at a higher % than ours have been with jrob. See where I'm going here?

Recent trends show it's actually worse with only 6 1st rounders from 2015 still with their original team and only 8 from 2016.
That makes sense to me. After the rookie salary cap was established, we see tons of players hang out for only the rookie contract as FA allows for a huge payday comparatively to the rookies themselves getting unjustified huge paydays.

14/32=44%
8/32=25%
6/32=19%
Overall average 29%

You picked three years, in all three 1st rounders were retained at a higher % than ours have been with jrob. See where I'm going here?

You see that the number is clearly trending one direction don't you? And there isn't any discernible difference from 19% to 17%.

From 2014 it's 7. From 2013, it's 2. Anyway you cut it, an insanely small portion of drafted players re-sign with their former team.

And lol at averaging 29%.

You see that the number is clearly trending one direction don't you? And there isn't any discernible difference from 19% to 17%.

From 2014 it's 7. From 2013, it's 2. Anyway you cut it, an insanely small portion of drafted players re-sign with their former team.

And lol at averaging 29%.
If you bat .290 in the mlb you're an all-star. If you bat .166 you're out of the league. But ok whatever you say, myself personally, I'd like to see our first rounders resigned.

Also you say it's trending to one direction but you're numbers don't really indicate that there's a trend at all

If you bat .290 in the mlb you're an all-star. If you bat .166 you're out of the league. But ok whatever you say, myself personally, I'd like to see our first rounders resigned.

Also you say it's trending to one direction but you're numbers don't really indicate that there's a trend at all

Well there hasn't been 29% at any point recently. So that's a useless baseline.

8,6,7,2 are the last 4 drafts from players who have played out their rookie contracts and stayed with their drafted team on a long term deal. That's 17.9% for all you guys keeping score.

The average NFL playing career is 3.3 years. From 2016-2017, J-Rob has 11of his 19 picks still playing in the NFL, and 9 of them are currently starting, well beyond the NFL average of 3.3 years.

NFL players overwhelmingly do not stay with they're drafted team. It's a fact. So can we please stop with this non-sense argument.

Did you really just use a baseball analogy for football?

There is no doubt the trend is that players are not staying with teams that draft them. You can’t dispute it.

Well there hasn't been 29% at any point recently. So that's a useless baseline.

8,6,7,2 are the last 4 drafts from players who have played out their rookie contracts and stayed with their drafted team on a long term deal. That's 17.9% for all you guys keeping score.

The average NFL playing career is 3.3 years. From 2016-2017, J-Rob has 11of his 19 picks still playing in the NFL, and 9 of them are currently starting, well beyond the NFL average of 3.3 years.

NFL players overwhelmingly do not stay with they're drafted team. It's a fact. So can we please stop with this non-sense argument.
You were the one who brought up the season at 29%. It was relevant when it benefited your argument, but not when it benefits mine? Ok lol. The average is still better than what we're batting even if we retain simmons which is not a guarantee.

I also don't know why you're bringing up non first round picks, I was strictly speaking on first round picks. I'm not dogging jrob, I simply stated we don't keep first round picks past their rookie contract very well. Which still remains true.

You were the one who brought up the season at 29%. It was relevant when it benefited your argument, but not when it benefits mine? Ok lol. The average is still better than what we're batting even if we retain simmons which is not a guarantee.

I also don't know why you're bringing up non first round picks, I was strictly speaking on first round picks. I'm not dogging jrob, I simply stated we don't keep first round picks past their rookie contract very well. Which still remains true.

That's what the article said and you requested what the numbers were so I told you. I didn't post the article, someone else did. Using an average is not an accurate portrayal since several teams had multiple 1st round picks during this time while other teams didn't even have a 1st round pick some seasons. The entire point being made, is that a very low percentage of players actually re-sign with the team that drafted them.

Frankly, it's dumb argument anyways. Whether or not a player is still with the team he was drafted by after his rookie contract has no beating on whether or not he was a good pick. Maybe some of these guys just wanted to move to a bigger market? Maybe they have a buddy on another team that they want to play with. Either way, it's irrelevant. We wouldn't have been in the playoffs these past few seasons without their contributions.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what the article said and you requested what the numbers were so I told you. I didn't post the article, someone else did.

Frankly, it's dumb argument anyways. Whether or not a player is still with the team he was drafted by after his rookie contract has no beating on whether or not he was a good pick. Maybe some of these guys just wanted to move to a bigger market? Maybe they have a buddy on another team that they want to play with. Either way, it's irrelevant. We wouldn't have been in the playoffs these past few seasons without their contributions.
You’re forgetting about the opportunity to extend a quality 1sr round pick or trading him for retained value from the draft capital used as a 1st round pick. You HOPE to get a core player from every pick, the probability is higher that happens in earlier rounds, especially the first.

I think this is what some are suggesting overall to keep players, extending them early. Timing makes a difference. Had he been extended in year 3, we don’t have an AJ Brown yet, no humphries, and CD is looking like a bad selection of a first round pick due to health concerns and overall production. At that time, why are we extending him.
Yes. And picking right (extend or no) is a performance indicator of a GM.

I hear what you guys are saying but...

If I dump my 1st rounder with 1st rounder contract, but nail a 2nd rounder with a 2nd rounder contract, I kinda feel like that is a win.

I think we should end up with 1 starter each draft. If we end up with a good starter out of a draft (regardless of round) we won that draft.

Yes. And picking right (extend or no) is a performance indicator of a GM.
It would make sense to start negotiations AJ brown’s contract now then too.

I agree all contract stuff goes on the GM. I think it’s the hardest part of a team to actually grade until hindsight is available.

Last edited by a moderator:
AJ Brown has played two seasons and has a contract for two more. I doubt we talk extension until after next season, so going into his fourth. But the dude will want a tone of money. I doubt we give it to him.
AJ is worth it. An extension should be priority #1 next off season.

It would make sense to start negotiations AJ brown’s contract now then too.

I agree all contract stuff goes on the GM. I think it’s the hardest part of a team to actually grade until hindsight is available.

I believe there is a certain numbers of years you have to wait before negotiations. I could be wrong but I feel like I heard that before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back