Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
If tanny or henry goes down then yeah. 3 games is possible

If Mahomes goes down, if Brady goes down, if Rodgers goes down.,, the list goes on and on teams that will have a crap season if they lose their stars, especially their QB. Now you are changing the argument.

LOL you have to be trolling.

We have great QB and RB. Minus RT, our OL is stacked. We have AJ Brown at WR and will undoubtedly sign a WR or two, along with drafting a WR. Our main loss will be tight ends replacing Jonnu's 8 TD catches.

Defensively, we've only gotten better. We added to 2 guys that combined for 15.5 sacks last season and we paired them with Landry and Simmons, who we know are studs as well. That's an incredibly imposing defensive front. We downgraded in the secondary so far, but we aren't done yet, plus a dominant pass rush can mask the weakness of the secondary. Bringing back Jayon Brown would be awesome if we could swing it.

Absolute troll.

We traded up for Conk after trading down from Number 1. If Conk is who J-Rob really wanted then he got his guy while securing like 4 more picks.

I was a huge advocate for not only picking up Conk's 5th yr option but also re-signing him. But J-Rob had a plan to replace him for less money. It just didn't work out and we know the reason why.

Also, Kelly replaced Conk rather well in 2020 (comparative to price), so the plan could have worked if Panda wasn't such a tool.
I agree on Conklin, but we lost Conklin to the team we traded with and the 4 picks we secured? What happened with those? Henry was a great pick but they even contemplated trading him at one point

I agree on Conklin, but we lost Conklin to the team we traded with and the 4 picks we secured? What happened with those? Henry was a great pick but they even contemplated trading him at one point

3 of the 4 picks turned into pretty dang good players in Henry, Davis, and Jonnu. Regardless how you feel about us not re-signing those guys (other than Henry) they were major contributors to our playoff teams in recent years. It's likely we aren't in the playoffs without them.

I guess that depends on Amy Adams and her expectations. Do you demand a Super Bowl? I think realistically, regularly competing for one is success enough to keep you from getting fired. At least for a while. Continuity is crucial to long term success. If you fire him, what is to say the next GM has a better shot at getting over the hump than the current one?
AAS stated numerous times Super Bowl is her goal. Met her personally at the Chiefs wildcard game couple years ago. She said it there also.

3 of the 4 picks turned into pretty dang good players in Henry, Davis, and Jonnu. Regardless how you feel about us not re-signing those guys (other than Henry) they were major contributors to our playoff teams in recent years. It's likely we aren't in the playoffs without them.
Which brings up the discussion and comments about JRob keeping them

If tanny or henry goes down then yeah. 3 games is possible

Yes, if any team loses their star QB and doesn't have a capable QB to replace him, they are probably going to lose a bunch of games.

In other news, the sky is blue, water is wet, and bears really do shit in the woods.

I think the gripe is that you’re trading known commodities for unknown. And C a lot of that was for modest cost reduction.
Personally, I don’t have a problem with CD84, AJ25 and Jonnu being gone. I thought each were overrated. I had problems with JRob using our draft capital to get them where he did. Same with Wilson, Dodd and Conklin. Loved the Simmons pick. IMO you should be getting core players with your 1st round picks. Not EVERY pick but at least the majority.

Which brings up the discussion and comments about JRob keeping them

If we had the cap space, I'm sure J-Rob would have kept the other guys this year. It's unfortunate we had to make a decision on Conk, Henry, and Tanne all in the same off-season. That was a lot of money to throw around considering our other needs.

.......From that group of 63, 21 are first-round choices....

Okay- that provides some frame of reference for how we should be doing with our first round picks.

So keep the context of a COVID year and why certain players this off season had to be released I don’t see the problem.

.......From that group of 63, 21 are first-round choices....

Okay- that provides some frame of reference for how we should be doing with our first round picks.

The next part of that was this":

only four -- defensive end Patrick Kerney (Atlanta), quarterback Daunte Culpepper (Minnesota), quarterback Donovan McNabb (Philadelphia) and left tackle Luke Petitgout (NY Giants) -- have received huge contract extensions. Several players whose rookie contracts are set to expire over the next year or two may be heading to different teams in free agency.

Granted this looks like it was written back around 2002-2003. So may be things have changed.

If we had the cap space, I'm sure J-Rob would have kept the other guys this year. It's unfortunate we had to make a decision on Conk, Henry, and Tanne all in the same off-season. That was a lot of money to throw around considering our other needs.
Yes that's true...I'm sure there is more to come this offseason
Like you said the Wilson pick phucked us...if he showed promise I'm sure losing Conklin would be a mute point

Its more Davis, yes he didn't live up to the #5 pick but thats on the Titans not him, he didn't ask to be drafted 5th overall
He turned into a good #2 with AJB
I think the point is, why not lock him up after his 3rd year?
2017- 375 yds 0 TDs
2018- 891 yds 4 TDs
2019- 601 yds 2 TDs

Surely after taking him at 5, we could have extended him at a reasonable deal at year 3? He was a good team player, blocked well, did all the little things. Good #2 if not a #1B?

Not saying he's an all pro but he's decent

Now who will replace him?

Last edited by a moderator:
The next part of that was this":

only four -- defensive end Patrick Kerney (Atlanta), quarterback Daunte Culpepper (Minnesota), quarterback Donovan McNabb (Philadelphia) and left tackle Luke Petitgout (NY Giants) -- have received huge contract extensions. Several players whose rookie contracts are set to expire over the next year or two may be heading to different teams in free agency.

Granted this looks like it was written back around 2002-2003. So may be things have changed.

It’s the best I could find. But it’s point is that the Salary CP causes player movement. Teams turn over their rosters every 5 years. I doubt much has changed,

I think the gripe is that you’re trading known commodities for unknown. And C a lot of that was for modest cost reduction.
Personally, I don’t have a problem with CD84, AJ25 and Jonnu being gone. I thought each were overrated. I had problems with JRob using our draft capital to get them where he did. Same with Wilson, Dodd and Conklin. Loved the Simmons pick. IMO you should be getting core players with your 1st round picks. Not EVERY pick but at least the majority.

That's fair. But again, I don't think you should expect to keep every first rounder, may be not even most first rounders, past their rookie contracts. There's just not enough money to pay everyone. There's definitely a trade off from the known commodity to the unknown. I think at that point you have to look at the teams needs vs the player (or rather the cost of replacing such a player).

Such as, if you have a decent replacement for Conk on the roster already (which we did in Kelly) and can draft a OT early, maybe the 15 million you were going to spend on Conk would be better spent improving your pass rush. Unfortunately, the plan unraveled from there, but it's pretty hard to predict player's not having motivation (Beasley/WIlson) or injuries (Clowney).

That's fair. But again, I don't think you should expect to keep every first rounder, may be not even most first rounders, past their rookie contracts. There's just not enough money to pay everyone. There's definitely a trade off from the known commodity to the unknown. I think at that point you have to look at the teams needs vs the player (or rather the cost of replacing such a player).

Such as, if you have a decent replacement for Conk on the roster already (which we did in Kelly) and can draft a OT early, maybe the 15 million you were going to spend on Conk would be better spent improving your pass rush. Unfortunately, the plan unraveled from there, but it's pretty hard to predict player's not having motivation (Beasley/WIlson) or injuries (Clowney).

Agree. But JRob responsible for the plan that didn’t work out (for whatever reason). That’s his job. And I don’t think anybody can argue that we shouldn’t see more return on the draft capital spent in the first round. You can retain value by trading players if you know you’re not going to extend them. That’s how the top GMs retain the value. And they also employ analytics.

It’s the best I could find. But it’s point is that the Salary CP causes player movement. Teams turn over their rosters every 5 years. I doubt much has changed,

I think by J-Robs 2nd year, we had less than 12 players total on the 51 man roster who had been drafted or signed by the previous regime, and we still made the playoffs. Tells you a lot about how poorly this franchise was run before J-Rob arrived

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back