Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is neither was worthy of an extension when the time came.

Paying mediocre good money is how you really get in cap trouble.
He traded up to get Conklin....so obviously he thought he was the future at RT....secure him when his value was "low"...instead Conklin walks and we draft SpongePanda..

Should have drafted Ramsey, maybe not at 1 but trade down to 3 or 4.

Because we had more pressing needs. Last year we needed to re-sign Tanne and get Henry a new contract. And to go along with that, we needed to improve our pass rush. So we spent pretty much all of our money on 4 players. The plan was to play Kelly at RT for a year then have Wilson take over in 2021. Obviously Beasley and Clowney turned out to be terrible signings, and Wilson ended up being the worst draft pick we've ever had. But JRob didn't re-sign Conk because he wasn't good or that he didn't want him. He simply had a different plan to improve the team that didn't work out.

This year, the cap was reduced and we had a lot of holes to fill with not much money to do it. The decision to not pick up either player's 5th year option is due almost entirely to injury and needing the cap space. If Davis had been healthy in 2019 and performed this way he did in 2020, there is no question they would have picked up the option (though he might have still been cut given the reduced cap). If Adoree was a little more healthy, he probably doesn't get cut either, seeing as he was very good when healthy.

Again, most player's don't re-sign after their rookie contracts. That doesn't have anything to do with whether or not they were good picks.

Maybe most of ALL rookies don’t get 2nd contract, but I bet most 1st round picks do. I’m trying to locate that data.

I t try honk it is disingenuous to suggest on ANY fashion that JRobs performance last year was acceptable.

LOL you have to be trolling.

We have great QB and RB. Minus RT, our OL is stacked. We have AJ Brown at WR and will undoubtedly sign a WR or two, along with drafting a WR. Our main loss will be tight ends replacing Jonnu's 8 TD catches.

Defensively, we've only gotten better. We added to 2 guys that combined for 15.5 sacks last season and we paired them with Landry and Simmons, who we know are studs as well. That's an incredibly imposing defensive front. We downgraded in the secondary so far, but we aren't done yet, plus a dominant pass rush can mask the weakness of the secondary. Bringing back Jayon Brown would be awesome if we could swing it.
We lost corey davis too on offense and 2 starters at o line. Ty sambrillo gone.

On defense we got no one in the secondary except byard. Jenkins is washed up

He traded up to get Conklin....so obviously he thought he was the future at RT....secure him when his value was "low"...instead Conklin walks and we draft SpongePanda..

Exactly. At some point jrob has to be held accountable for losing all his 1st rounders.

Sambraillo wasn’t a starter.

Lots of posts b***hing about Smith and CD. Neither were worth the money. Good guys, flashes of talent, but not even remotely worth the money they just got. They are replaceable for cheap.

So far, my only roster complaints are the surprise cut in Kelley and either Butler or Jackson with no CB already here to replace them. May not be do e yet with the money saved.

Should have drafted Marshawn Lattimore instead of Davis too. These things happen.

Maybe most of ALL rookies don’t get 2nd contract, but I bet most 1st round picks do. I’m trying to locate that data.

I t try honk it is disingenuous to suggest on ANY fashion that JRobs performance last year was acceptable.
Early in the thread it was mentioned about the cost of re-signing good first round picks. It’s just too costly if, for ex, he re-signs all 5 of his first round picks. That likely is the bulk of the salary cap spent.
Add a Conklin coming off a weak season after returning from ACL tear. Not sure why some posters don’t recognize why it was obvious to be hesitant to throw the money he got at him. He returned and played outstanding for Cle. Good for them, we spent the money elsewhere.

Conklin-gone
Davis-gone
Adoree-gone
Evans-5th year option likely to be declined
Simmons-beast
Wilson-gone

Kinda amazing the turn around this team has had under jrob despite the first round struggles. Should we just start trading away our first round pick every year and stacking 2's and 3's? Lol

He got lucky on BDH, remember he picked two losers ahead of him.

Only guy we can give him credit for that year is picking Byard, who was an unknown.

giphy.webp

Only I can say about J Rob is he's doing everything he can to get us a Lombardi. Are some of his decisions head scratchers? Yeah absolutely but he has also made good ones that freed up cap space in order to improve the pass rush. Still aint figured out why he was on board to sign off on the promotions for our DC and OC but if the upcoming draft goes well we will see what the future holds.

Kelly is a swing tackle. Not a great starter. He was a stop gag for a year. Sambrillo was of even less value. Not a starter—a back up who had to start for us.

We will see on Janoris. But just be patient. Let’s see what else we do at RT, WR, and CB. If we do nothing and rely on the draft, than bitch away. But we are two days into FA, so your freak out here is a major over reaction.

Only I can say about J Rob is he's doing everything he can to get us a Lombardi. Are some of his decisions head scratchers? Yeah absolutely but he has also made good ones that freed up cap space in order to improve the pass rush. Still aint figured out why he was on board to sign off on the promotions for our DC and OC but if the upcoming draft goes well we will see what the future holds.
There has to be a plan...you dont just start releasing starters without a plan to replace them

As far as the coordinators, he obviously feels the problem was the players not the coaches

Exactly. At some point jrob has to be held accountable for losing all his 1st rounders.

He is only held accountable for losing and winning. If doesn’t keep a single first round pick and consistently goes to the playoffs, no one will care or hold him accountable.

He is only held accountable for losing and winning. If doesn’t keep a single first round pick and consistently goes to the playoffs, no one will care or hold him accountable.
At some point it has to be more than just making it to the playoffs?
Granted our D was our Achilles heel, he's making changes, we will see if it improves.
Hes also lost a couple of pieces on O, with the recent moves maybe there's a plan for that too?

I'm hoping we trade for Gilmore, sign JuJu

Rudolph would be a good fit, provided he's not looking for Jonnu $....he's a good blocker and RZ target....Downing was his TE coach in Minny so maybe that helps?

We traded up for Conk after trading down from Number 1. If Conk is who J-Rob really wanted then he got his guy while securing like 4 more picks.

I was a huge advocate for not only picking up Conk's 5th yr option but also re-signing him. But J-Rob had a plan to replace him for less money. It just didn't work out and we know the reason why.

Also, Kelly replaced Conk rather well in 2020 (comparative to price), so the plan could have worked if Panda wasn't such a tool.

At some point it has to be more than just making it to the playoffs?
Granted our D was our Achilles heel, he's making changes, we will see if it improves.
Hes also lost a couple of pieces on O, with the recent moves maybe there's a plan for that too?

I'm hoping we trade for Gilmore, sign JuJu

Rudolph would be a good fit, provided he's not looking for Jonnu $....he's a good blocker and RZ target....Downing was his TE coach in Minny so maybe that helps?

I guess that depends on Amy Adams and her expectations. Do you demand a Super Bowl? I think realistically, regularly competing for one is success enough to keep you from getting fired. At least for a while. Continuity is crucial to long term success. If you fire him, what is to say the next GM has a better shot at getting over the hump than the current one?

Yes I'm aware we lost Davis, which is why I said we will undoubtedly sign a WR or two and draft another one. Davis was very good in 2020, but his production is replaceable. It isn't like we're replacing an All-Pro here.

Jenkins is far from washed up. He ranked 28th in PFF's grading among 80 cornerbacks who played half of their team's snaps last year, finishing with an overall grade of 67. He isn't the shutdown corner he once was, but he's every bit a solid player. It's also important to remember that Fulton was our 2nd rounder in 2020 and had a 1st round grade. We didn't see much of him due to injury/covid, but he's certainly has the talent to be No.1 corner.

Sambrillo was depth and nothing more and can easily replaced with a draft pick or a vet on a league minimum deal.

Early in the thread it was mentioned about the cost of re-signing good first round picks. It’s just too costly if, for ex, he re-signs all 5 of his first round picks. That likely is the bulk of the salary cap spent.
Add a Conklin coming off a weak season after returning from ACL tear. Not sure why some posters don’t recognize why it was obvious to be hesitant to throw the money he got at him. He returned and played outstanding for Cle. Good for them, we spent the money elsewhere.

let me add that it is a cost saving move to EXTEND players while still on your team. The decision is made not to extend (or rescind) players if they aren’t performing at a level the “discount” to free market allows.

so JRob has a high rate (per picks) of 1st round picks that move on to other teams. That is unquestionably a statement that either they shouldn’t have been a 1st round pick or a mistake in extending or not was made. Both reflect the GMs performance. Now before a few blow up, using that to assess JRobs performance on other rounds is better than average. So overall, he’s slightly above average IMO.

I guess that depends on Amy Adams and her expectations. Do you demand a Super Bowl? I think realistically, regularly competing for one is success enough to keep you from getting fired. At least for a while. Continuity is crucial to long term success. If you fire him, what is to say the next GM has a better shot at getting over the hump than the current one?
No I don't demand a SB...thats not realistic....yet

I would like to get past one and done.. I know last year we made it to the AFC championship, I guess we're spoiled now

We'll see what this year brings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back