Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, and i really mean this, i hope he is ok. I know im gonns take some heat for this but thats ok - Burks has to really sit down and think about if he wants to keep playing football. Physically he's a freak of nature, but he cant stay healthy, its always something. I dont want him to try and tough it out for years and then he's a Vegatable for decades. Some guys man, its just not meant for them, how it is. I believe its its not meant for guys like Burks and also Farley. Seriously have to consider after this season if they both wanna keep playing ball amd risking even more health scares
I don’t think you’ll get much crap for this post.
I agree specifically what I bolded.
Unfortunately tools and actually being able to use them are not meeting with him. He’s currently become a bigger disappointment than all the “potential” DGB supposedly had.

ultimately, unproven potential means not really any potential.

First off, and i really mean this, i hope he is ok. I know im gonna take some heat for this but thats ok - Burks has to really sit down and think about if he wants to keep playing football. Physically he's a freak of nature, but he cant stay healthy, its always something. I dont want him to try and tough it out for years and then he's a vegatable for decades. Some guys man, its just not meant for them, how it is. I believe its its not meant for guys like Burks and also Farley. Seriously have to consider after this season if they both wanna keep playing ball and risking even more health scares
I blame the pussification of football in general from the NFL down to college. Lets be real players like Burks wouldnt have made it in the 90-00's college or NFL football. As injury prone as he is no way, but now that the game has been neutered these players are going to slip through the cracks more and more their bodies eventually giving out in the NFL. Defenses can lay the wood like they once could.

First off, and i really mean this, i hope he is ok. I know im gonna take some heat for this but thats ok - Burks has to really sit down and think about if he wants to keep playing football. Physically he's a freak of nature, but he cant stay healthy, its always something. I dont want him to try and tough it out for years and then he's a vegatable for decades. Some guys man, its just not meant for them, how it is. I believe its its not meant for guys like Burks and also Farley. Seriously have to consider after this season if they both wanna keep playing ball and risking even more health scares

Totally agree with you. It's just not scripted for Burks. Plays like straight crap and then finishes the game leaving on a stretcher (nothing to BS about) But I feel like that's going to be it for him.

That AJB trade gets worse by the minute.

I blame the pussification of football in general from the NFL down to college. Lets be real players like Burks wouldnt have made it in the 90-00's college or NFL football. As injury prone as he is no way, but now that the game has been neutered these players are going to slip through the cracks more and more their bodies eventually giving out in the NFL. Defenses can lay the wood like they once could.
And, in which era did you play college/NFL ball?

And, in which era did you play college/NFL ball?
You going to try and say football in the past was the same as today? Did you watch football back in the day? Did targeting exist? If you wanna defend Burks thats cool but facts are he cant hack it in the NFL right now, and if football was a physical as it was in the past I think he chooses a different sport.

Totally agree with you. It's just not scripted for Burks. Plays like straight crap and then finishes the game leaving on a stretcher (nothing to BS about) But I feel like that's going to be it for him.

It’s like opposite of a 401k with compound interest.
1 really really bad investment on Burks in the first, combined with more bad investments in the 1st, Farley and Wilson, and you’ve taken a thriving account (AFCCG) and put it right into the Bidenomics market.

I'd be fine if we cut Burks this offseason. He's never gonna develop and we'd rid ourselves of the last connection to that AJB trade.

You going to try and say football in the past was the same as today? Did you watch football back in the day? Did targeting exist? If you wanna defend Burks thats cool but facts are he cant hack it in the NFL right now, and if football was a physical as it was in the past I think he chooses a different sport.

Guy today are bigger, faster , stronger , hit harder than in the past. This is a very violent game. It’s not about not hacking it.

Freak of nature may be giving him too much credit but yeah agreed. Seems like maybe he's not cut out for the NFL.

One of his best catches was that bomb where he got knocked out and dropped it. He actually looked like AJ Brown for once and attacked the ball.

It’s like opposite of a 401k with compound interest.
1 really really bad investment on Burks in the first, combined with more bad investments in the 1st, Farley and Wilson, and you’ve taken a thriving account (AFCCG) and put it right into the Bidenomics market.
The Dow is up a thousand points this week. Burks unfortunately is moving in the opposite direction.

Really hope he’s okay.

Burks might have been the fastest WR in the NFL if he played in the mid 90's. And would have been one of the strongest as well. So I don't buy this at all.

There have been 22 Super Bowls played since the turn of the century. Only three of those winning teams had an All-Pro wide receiver on the roster that year. The 2021 Rams had Kupp. The 2006 Indianapolis Colts had Marvin Harrison. The 2011 New York Giants had Victor Cruz, who made the second team roster. That’s it.

Expanding the search to all 44 teams that played in those Super Bowls, only 13 of the 44 Super Bowl-bound teams had an All-Pro wide receiver. That includes the 2007 New England Patriots, who had Randy Moss (first) and Wes Welker (second) both make the All-Pro team.

But let’s go a step further. Of the 14 total wide receivers that were an All-Pro, only three of them accounted for more than $7 million dollars against the salary cap: Hill (2020), Julio Jones (2016) and Terrell Owens (2004). Only Jones and Owens accounted for at least 10% of their team’s total cap space.

Now, because so many receivers signed their deals this offseason, teams were able to keep their salary numbers manageable for this season. For example, Hill is only costing the Miami Dolphins $6,485,000 against the cap, which comes out to 3.1% of the cap number. In fact, only one wide receiver will be counting for more than 10% of his team’s cap –Kenny Golladay of the New York Giants.

However, for the 2023 season, 14 wide receivers are currently scheduled to account for a cap number higher than $20 million dollars. With a rapidly rising salary cap, that’ll keep most of the wide receivers below that 10% cap hit. However, here’s where things get tricky.

In 2021, the top 10 wide receivers (measured by their cap number for that specific season) combined for two playoff wins (both by Hill). The only other team that won a postseason game was the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but Chris Godwin missed the game due to injury. Amari Cooper (first), Adams (third), and DeAndre Hopkins (10th) were all on teams that lost their first playoff games. The other five players were on teams that didn’t make the playoffs.

In 2020, the top 10 wide receivers combined for seven playoff wins, but four of those came from Kansas City’s Hill and Sammy Watkins. Five of those wideouts played on teams that didn’t make the playoffs.

In 2019, the top 10 wide receivers combined for four playoff wins, but three of those came from Watkins during the Chiefs’ run to the Super Bowl. Hopkins accounted for the only other postseason win. The other eight played on teams that didn’t make the playoffs.

In 2018, the top 10 wide receivers combined for one playoff win – T.Y. Hilton. Three wide receivers lost in the first round and six more didn’t make the playoffs.

Finally, in 2017, the top 10 wide receivers again only accounted for one playoff win as Jones and the Atlanta Falcons were able to win a game as the No. 6 seed. Two receivers lost in the first round and seven didn’t make the playoffs.

The numbers are jarring, and they don’t get any better the further back you look. Not a single top-10 wide receiver won a postseason game in 2014. And in 2009 and 2010, not a single top-five wideout even made the playoffs.

It’s more than fair to say that historically, paying wide receivers has not led to much team success.

Which leads us to a critical caveat in this discussion. We aren’t arguing against having great players – great players help you win. Every team would have been better with Kupp last season. But the ultimate cheat code in the NFL isn’t having a Cooper Kupp, it’s having Kupp-like players on either on a rookie deal or an extremely team-friendly one.

Kupp, Chase and Samuel combined to account for just over $10.3 million against the cap during the 2021 season. That total is less than what Will Fuller IV cost the Dolphins. Those players’ manageable salaries allowed their respective teams to do things like trade for Von Miller and sign Odell Beckham Jr midseason, or sign Trey Hendrickson and four (!) secondary starters before the season began.

Credit : Trevor Goldstein, Author

You could have just posted the link.

Nevertheless, this is a pretty big fallacy. Almost no team has 2 top tier WRs, so of course playoff wins per "top 10 WR" are gonna be low.

How many combined SB wins do the top paid QBs not named Mahomes have? Clearly that means QB paying a QB a bunch of money isn't important to success.

Burks has had an unfortunate run of injuries and developed a case of the drops. It's just a shame to see a first rounder outproduced by an undrafted free agent. NWI has been far more reliable than Burks has this season. Have any of y'all heard the extent of his injury? I was guessing Burks suffered a concussion on the impact of the landing, it didn't appear he got twisted up or anything on the impact.

Wheezy loses 20 pounds and it might be meant for him.... the fact he is still chubby year 2 just shows how little he appreciates being a professional

Last edited by a moderator:
Burks has had an unfortunate run of injuries and developed a case of the drops. It's just a shame to see a first rounder outproduced by an undrafted free agent. NWI has been far more reliable than Burks has this season. Have any of y'all heard the extent of his injury? I was guessing Burks suffered a concussion on the impact of the landing, it didn't appear he got twisted up or anything on the impact.
yes... sideline report was KO'd himself and of course staff overreacted like beta punks... this play is why smelling salts are there... should have only missed 1 play, but Wheezy is a wittlebiotch soooo... had to call the whaaa-mbulance

Burks might have been the fastest WR in the NFL if he played in the mid 90's. And would have been one of the strongest as well. So I don't buy this at all.
There is not a snowball's chance in hell that Burks would have been the fastest WR in the NFL in the mid 90s. Not a chance in hell. Burks ran a 4.55 40, there were plenty of faster WRs than that in the 90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back