Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black Swan - And thus continues the trend of Aronofsky's fascination with the themes of obsession and what it can do to our lives. Thought to be a companion piece to his highly-regarded The Wrestler, it is in fact a much different piece (and one I would argue infinitely better than).

I've always liked Aronofsky, never really loved him. However, I absolutely loved this film. It is a haunting piece, both in scope and it's execution, especially with the performance of Portman. Portman is an actress who I've always thought had talent, but for the most part, only showcased a bit of it throughout her career. Let me be clear - this is a career defining performance. The only one I can truly compare it to is Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby (although they are different beasts). The slow descent into madness is something to behold - it isn't cliched, and it's totally visceral. As I said earlier, it's still haunting me hours later.

The main components of this film are truly brilliant. Secondary performances by Cassell, Kunis, Hershey all deliver fantastic performances, each one understanding exactly what they must bring to Nina's (Portman) world. The direction is intense at times - we are meant to be brought into the terror of what this young woman is going through, and it's done expertly. The shots of the actual ballet work are stunning at times (and I'm not a ballet fan), with a score that meshes well with Tchaikovsky's compositions.

If you are a fan of psychological horror, stories of obsession and what perfection in art can to do a person, or are just curious to see how a director could make the world of ballet appear so damn engrossing, go see this picture. It is simply the best all year.

A+

Finally watched it.

Definitely well reviewed dude.

I thought each performance was brilliant especially Vincent Cassell who can sometimes be a little over the top.

It is stunning but launches straight into the main storyline from the opening scene.

I wonder if there's a cut that will show us 5 mins of of relative normality for Nina. A few moments to get to like her before the pressure cooker begins.

Machete

just watched it and it was a hoot, but definatly would not be for everyone. I took it for the campy 70s drive-in knock off that it was. All the horrendus effects, ridiculus storyline ect... and taken as that was a fun movie that will definatly be worth a replay or two.

I enjoyed a bunch of the little things - Machete's uniform in the opening scene, for instance, had a 'Mexico' patch and the uniform was obviously brand new and creased but everything else in the scene was dirty and grubby. The scene in the hospital where Machete learns that the human body has 60 feet of intestines and he procedes to put that knowledge to hilarious use almost immediatly. Machete defiantly saved the best for the last thought. The big war scene featured fighters armed with their native tools - pots, rakes, weedeaters , ect..- and the machine gun motorcycle jump was worth the journey to get there.

If you are looking for a deep story and state of the art anything do not watch Machete. This obvious homage to cheesy drive-in throw away movies from the 60s & 70s was hilarious in its camp and I'm betting they spent plenty of $$$$ giving it that feel.

really good movie, none of the flashy special effect stuff, just a good story and old school directing. gets pretty gory also.

Yet you say you won't watch the original - though it fits that description to a Tee.
I haven't seen the remake - I can't imagine the spirit of the original lives in this.

I saw Season of the Witch last week and enjoyed it. Gotta like it for what it is.
Nicholas Cage was good, acting all serious. Ron Perlman was good as his sidekick.
Nice scenery, loved the shots of the castles.
Not so good make up on some rotting bodies, too fake.

Oh yea, good fight scenes, hand to hand sword combat with slo mo at the right time.

I saw Season of the Witch last week and enjoyed it. Gotta like it for what it is.
Nicholas Cage was good, acting all serious. Ron Perlman was good as his sidekick.
Nice scenery, loved the shots of the castles.
Not so good make up on some rotting bodies, too fake.

The backdrops were the best part of that flick for me - well that and Christopher Lee who always adds some class..
My only question was why, in a film taking placing in old world Europe did Stephen Graham have a weird Chicago accent? The guy is as English as they come.. WTF?

I'll see anything with Chris Lee - with a smile on my face good movie or bad.. The last original horror icon. I was there with bells on for this alone..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back