Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to endure the cliche driven action bomb that is The A Team but I couldn't go more than 45 minutes before my brain started to hurt. Ended up watching my annual 70s/80s horror holiday double feature in Black Christmas and Silent Night Deadly Night.. Even all these years later I still want more of an explanation about the killer in Black Christmas. You never see the killer (or killers?) and those phone calls are outright disturbing. And my question about Silent Night Deadly Night is why was Deuce Wayne sporting "Naughty" Ricky as his sig a few weeks back?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YQ_D9OjDoQ0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YQ_D9OjDoQ0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

And i can't forget that I kicked off the evening with Rock n Roll Jet Movie WILD ZERO..
Long live GUITAR WOLF!

Watched The Town on PPV last night. There's a great movie in there somewhere, but Ben Affleck's crappy acting ruined it. Can't stand the guy.

7/10

Heh I just got done watching The Town myself.. I thought it was really good myself. Ben played the part good..not sure what you would want from a Bostonian :) Nothing real negative to say about it on my end..9/10

TRON. Sooooooooooooo AWESOME!!!!!!!! One of the best movies I've ever seen. Saw it with about 10 other guys. Watch it in 3D if you go see it, you WONT be disappointed! Didn't have a clue what the movie was about, and it turned out to be unbelievably awesome!

Just rewatched a kinda overlooked gem. Got better the second time I watched it.

little UK period action movie called The Bank Job. Some slight nudity, too slight IMO, but an excellent movie blending two 'true' stories together to make an excellent made up story.

TRON. Sooooooooooooo AWESOME!!!!!!!! One of the best movies I've ever seen. Saw it with about 10 other guys. Watch it in 3D if you go see it, you WONT be disappointed! Didn't have a clue what the movie was about, and it turned out to be unbelievably awesome!

People really need to see the original. It's great.

Just rewatched a kinda overlooked gem. Got better the second time I watched it.

little UK period action movie called The Bank Job. Some slight nudity, too slight IMO, but an excellent movie blending two 'true' stories together to make an excellent made up story.

I recall liking The Bank Job when I saw it but I think it was surprisingly panned by the couple folks who usually dig the same stuff as I do.. I could be wrong about that..

FWIW Black Swan is playing at Carmike Cool Springs currently..

Thanks man, I saw it a few days ago. Wow.

On a side note: what were everyone's 5 favorite films of the year?

Mine:

1) Get Low
2) The American
3) The Social Network
4) Never Let Me Go
5) Black Swan

Still haven't seen 127 Hours, The Fighter and True Grit...

Mine:

1) Get Low
2) The American
3) The Social Network
4) Never Let Me Go
5) Black Swan

Awesome - I have yet to see any of those. Always nice to have things to look forward to seeing. I hear The Fighter is absolutely top notch..

Mine:

1) Get Low
2) The American
3) The Social Network
4) Never Let Me Go
5) Black Swan

Honestly, it hasn't been a very good year in terms of standouts. Black Swan and Winter's Bone were fantastic films, 127 Hours was definitely enthralling, and Inception was a great action/sci-fi film. 2007 really spoiled me in terms of the sheer number of superb movies (No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, Gone Baby Gone, Assassination of Jessie James, Zodiac, etc etc.). There are some really good lower tier B movies though, if that's your bag.

1. Black Swan (A+)
2. Winter's Bone (A)
3. 127 Hours (A-)
4. Inception (A-)
5. The Social Network (B+)

Close, no cigar:
A Prophet (B+), Toy Story 3 (B+), Shutter Island (B), Piranha 3D (B)

Overrated:

-Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (C-)
-The Kids are Alright (C)
-Splice (C+)

Underrated:
-Repo Men (B)
-Valhalla Rising (B-)
-Hot Tub Time Machine (B-)

NOTE: I have not seen True Grit yet, but I do believe I will be editing the Top 5 list once I have seen it, based on how much I love the director and castings.

Watched 'The Box' the other day.

Pretty pissed about that.

However, I also watched 'Once'... and it's great as an indie romance type. The music is great.

Went out late to catch The Fighter last night but the damn theater had the heat in that particular room up in the 120 degree range so we skipped over to catch Black Swan. I have nothing to add that Kamikaze didn't cover already but I will add that it does keep you thinking about it well after. Great job by Portman.
I want to kill Barbara Hershey..

Went and saw True Grit today.. it was fantastic..but I haven't seen the first so I had no preconceived notions about what it "should" be. Alot of old people were there..;) It was great though, alot of subtle humor, decent amount of action, definitely dialogue focused though. 10/10 ? I think I liked it more than Inception.. :)

Oh ya, and The Other Guys, it was ok..best part was early on when Will rebuttled Mark about how he was a tuna and he and his pack of tuna would kill and eat the lion (Mark).. that was flat out hilarious. 7/10, some funny moments but just a rental.

True Grit - 8/10

It was a solid movie, but I honestly expected more from it. I enjoyed the humor, but felt the movie needed more action, drama, and suspense thrown in.

Bridges was great as usual... and the young actress did a great job.

True Grit:

First of all, I am not a fan of John Wayne. I preferred my tough guys Bronsonized or Eastwoodized. The Duke was what he was, and I did not like it. Even in the original, I saw John Wayne playing John Wayne. It was a mediocre film with some horrendous performances (namely, Glen Campbell) and uneven tones.

The Coen Brothers have since taken a very good Charlie Portis novel, and brought it to life. The humor is here in spades, dark and dry. The Bros direct each actor masterfully, and in turn get some fantastic performances out of a lot of people. The supporting cast (Pepper, Brolin, Matthews) are brilliant in very small parts, but it is the three main leads that are particularly fantastic.

Brides IS Cogburn. It's that simple. The guy plays tough, drunk, and weary better than Wayne ever did, and it comes off seamlessly. Damon is solid in a part I always considered a bit of a boring part, although a huge improvement on Campbell, namely because Damon is actually a legit actor. Steinfeld comes in as an unknown and comes out an intriguing young actress. The lines she delivers are arguably the most impressive, and yes, this film is FILLED with lines that require extreme verbal dexterity.

Direction here is solid, and cinematographer Deakins (a favorite of mine) is as fantastic as ever at delivering beauty around every turn. The score by Burwell isn't anything too special, surprisingly, and sort of comes in at confusing times.

The biggest problem with this film is that it doesn't FEEL like a Coen's film. While the film is very funny, it's more about how the actors deliver the very dry, witty lines. There is a clear lack of the Coen's morbid, quirky humor seen in films like The Big Lebowski, Fargo, and others. it isn't completely absent, just rather sparse. This is by far the most conventional, by-the-numbers film they have ever done. That's not a bad thing - their mastery is very keen and up front with the performances and shots they chose and crafted. It just isn't what you'd come to expect from them.

A-

Watched The Expendables.. This movie gets the middle finger for casting Eric Roberts and Mickey Rourk and putting them in a single scene together..
"Chollie... they took my thumb!"

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DgwJJ3pXvOw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DgwJJ3pXvOw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back