Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
the-18-different-acting-expressions-of-january-jo-29029-1288312809-116.jpg

I just saw "Just Go With It", that crap with Jennifer Anniston and Adam Sandler faking a family so Sandler can score with a 23 year old teacher. So glad I didn't let the soon to be wife drag me to that snoozer. I'm mad I paid $1.06 for that thing. That's the last time I let her rent the movie.

Super 8

This movie was refreshing in a summer that has been dominated by superheros. Super 8 is Abrams doing his best Spielberg impression and I'm happy to say it works. All of the trailers have been extremely vague about the plot, creature ect. It was nice to see a movie that wasn't completely ruined by the trailers. I'm not saying there is any brilliant story telling going on in Super 8 and honestly once it gets rolling the plot becomes extremely predictable. I'll just say Super 8 is ET for a new generation.

You can find tons of reviews online that will compare it to the Goonies and other films like that. Many reviews I read were also critical of the ending which I found to be beautiful. It was cheesy and you see it coming but it is done so well.

In the end the movie is not about the creature. There is a message in the film that won't take any critical thinking to understand. Abrams pretty much lays it out for you. That would turn me off most of the time but again it is done so well.

The creature is like nothing you have ever seen before. You never really get a good look at it until the end of the movie. It is cool looking but I'm not going to spoil it. I just wish we got to learn more about it.

I'll give it a 85%

It was much better than I thought it would be.

Oh and stay for the credits.

Damn I left Super 8 and missed the credits.. PM me what I missed! :(

I'd give it a 9.9, the only drawback was where the kid spoke to it.. other than that, amazing and a definite throwback to when films were films.

Super 8

This movie was refreshing in a summer that has been dominated by superheros. Super 8 is Abrams doing his best Spielberg impression and I'm happy to say it works. All of the trailers have been extremely vague about the plot, creature ect. It was nice to see a movie that wasn't completely ruined by the trailers. I'm not saying there is any brilliant story telling going on in Super 8 and honestly once it gets rolling the plot becomes extremely predictable. I'll just say Super 8 is ET for a new generation.

You can find tons of reviews online that will compare it to the Goonies and other films like that. Many reviews I read were also critical of the ending which I found to be beautiful. It was cheesy and you see it coming but it is done so well.

In the end the movie is not about the creature. There is a message in the film that won't take any critical thinking to understand. Abrams pretty much lays it out for you. That would turn me off most of the time but again it is done so well.

The creature is like nothing you have ever seen before. You never really get a good look at it until the end of the movie. It is cool looking but I'm not going to spoil it. I just wish we got to learn more about it.

I'll give it a 85%

It was much better than I thought it would be.

Oh and stay for the credits.

Super 8

If Cloverfield was never made, then I would give this movie at least a 7/10, but it was the same damn movie, even advertised the same way. You're right that the movie wasn't about the creature though. It was about the kids and their relationships, and learning to let go... pretty much a homage to E.T. I will say this though, it was a better movie than Cloverfield because unlike Cloverfield, Super 8 had heart and soul. I'm sure at least some will say it's unfair to judge this movie while taking Cloverfield into account, but it's really not. Same movie, and if you're going to even advertise it the same way, as some big secret project, then you need to be more creative. Super 8 had zero originality from start to finish.

So for me, it's a 5/10.

Damn I left Super 8 and missed the credits.. PM me what I missed! :(

I'd give it a 9.9, the only drawback was where the kid spoke to it.. other than that, amazing and a definite throwback to when films were films.

Why do people do that these days?! Scenes after the credits have almost become commonplace. I'm one of the few, it seems, that sticks around after the credits for anything! Unless the movie sucks...

I loved how it was advertised. It is nice not knowing everything about a film going into it.

I'm not sure how Super 8 is anything like Coverfield (which isn't as bad as most say it is). They both had monsters and people running I guess?

Super 8 is a throwback to when summer films were more than superheros and stuff blowing up.
Super 8 is Abrams best work and I'm excited to see where he goes from here. He knocked this one out of the park in my opinion. I have not been so pleasantly surprised by a film in a long time.

I loved how it was advertised. It is nice not knowing everything about a film going into it.

I'm not sure how Super 8 is anything like Coverfield (which isn't as bad as most say it is). They both had monsters and people running I guess?

Super 8 is a throwback to when summer films were more than superheros and stuff blowing up.
Super 8 is Abrams best work and I'm excited to see where he goes from here. He knocked this one out of the park in my opinion. I have not been so pleasantly surprised by a film in a long time.

Lol it was the same movie. SPOILERS BELOW

Advertised as the exact same way, big super, secret project. Big monster attacking the city. Big showdown with the military at the end. Monster's identity is hidden for most of the movie. Boy and girl gets separated and the movie turns into a "boy has to go back and save the girl" operation. They even went as far as to even make the monster design virtually identical lol. Super 8 just actually had a bit of writing and acting in comparison, which isn't saying all that much. The build up scenes where the monster first started picking off people, lacked any originality or suspense, and just like Cloverfield, it was your typical unimaginative, lazy hollywood ending.

As I said, this would have been a much better movie if Cloverfield was never made, I was still mildly entertained throughout the movie, but because Abrams just made the same movie, I can't give it that much credit.

And I know what you mean though, it had the E.T. and Stand by Me vibe to it.

What monster movie doesn't have a monster chasing people, military stand offs and a damsel in distress?

The ending fit the movie perfectly.

The monster in Cloverfield and Super 8 are nothing alike. I don't see that at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back