Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the desire to bury Willis. But has anybody else noted that the PS QB with 8 days with the team, playing behind a horrific line, without Derrick Henry, had a game roughly equivalent to Ryan Tannehill's?

Willis and Dobbs are not the answer. But then, neither is the $38 million man heading the QB room.

In 2023, change begins at QB.

Totally agree on Tannehill...extending him long term after ONE good season following several mediocre seasons was the beginning of the end of JRob IMO.

I think that it is far too early to consider Dobbs anything more than a PS player who had a good game in a situation where there really was no expectations on him, and as I mentioned already, it is still too early to write off Willis.

start dobbs next season, cut lewan, woods, dupree, cunningham, hooper, tannehill, downing

get an OL from somewhere, get a star WR to pair with burks... go burks, chig, elite FA WR, and diesel dub deuce derrick and just run n gun :superbowl:

I think that we need to see how Willis progresses during the off-season and next preseason before we start writing him off. Prefacing that it was a different league back in McNair's day, lets all recall that he did not become the starter until his third season, then really did not become a great passer until after our Super Bowl season (always tough and a great runner admittedly). He was considered a "project" back then as well.
As much as Titans fans love and admire McNair... He was an average QB in reality. His toughness and heart were his most enduring qualities, not necessarily his quarterbacking. He was exciting to watch and always put it all out on the field. A great player but not a great QB.

Willis on the other hand has shown nothing positive, imo. We can keep calling him a project or we can go ahead and admit that the guy just doesn't have it in him to play NFL QB. I'd love to be wrong but very few if any come in the league looking completely lost and inept and rise to being good QBs.

As much as Titans fans love and admire McNair... He was an average QB in reality. His toughness and heart were his most enduring qualities, not necessarily his quarterbacking. He was exciting to watch and always put it all out on the field. A great player but not a great QB.

Willis on the other hand has shown nothing positive, imo. We can keep calling him a project or we can go ahead and admit that the guy just doesn't have it in him to play NFL QB. I'd love to be wrong but very few if any come in the league looking completely lost and inept and rise to being good QBs.

Understood...McNair was not Brady or Manning. However, he was a winner. My point is that it took him 2 years on the bench to develop.

Is Willis going to be Patrick Mahomes? Not likely. Could he be something similar to McNair? TBD IMO. I just think that it would be a mistake to write him off now. We drafted him with the plan of developing him, and time has not allowed that.

I would give mw7 another run thru TC but without significant obvious improvement he would not make 53 man roster... I doubt any team would claim him if Titans put him on PS at that point

Understood...McNair was not Brady or Manning. However, he was a winner. My point is that it took him 2 years on the bench to develop.

Is Willis going to be Patrick Mahomes? Not likely. Could he be something similar to McNair? TBD IMO. I just think that it would be a mistake to write him off now. We drafted him with the plan of developing him, and time has not allowed that.
Disagree that time has not allowed it….the choice to not bring in a true backup is what has forced him on the field and that was one of JRobs bad decisions

Disagree that time has not allowed it….the choice to not bring in a true backup is what has forced him on the field and that was one of JRobs bad decisions
Yes, it was a huge mistake to rush Willis. He is clearly not NFL ready. He should have carried a clipboard all year and next. He may show some decent development in time, but he will never be a top 5 QB and the learning curve is so steep for him that I really don’t think you can pass a better option by with the hopes he is your guy. Maybe we can trade him to JR when he lands on another team…

Willis hasn't looked great but he obviously needs time to develop. But judging him with these WRs and OK isn't fair... Tannehill gets a pass at times being those factors why not a rookie?

This team needs an overhaul at OL and WR and a non Dipsh*t OC before any QB can stand a chance, rookie or not.

If Tannehill won't restructure I would be signing Brady, D Jones, Jimmy G or Mayfield in FA and see what another year or 2 can do for Willis.

Willis hasn't looked great but he obviously needs time to develop. But judging him with these WRs and OK isn't fair... Tannehill gets a pass at times being those factors why not a rookie?

This team needs an overhaul at OL and WR and a non Dipsh*t OC before any QB can stand a chance, rookie or not.

If Tannehill won't restructure I would be signing Brady, D Jones, Jimmy G or Mayfield in FA and see what another year or 2 can do for Willis.
I’m in the either/or camp with Willis currently. Even if he sucks through another training camp, I’ve got no issue letting him ride the PS again but there should be a better backup available for the most injured team in the league.

Also, if he were straight up cut today, I’d have no beef. His future does t look very promising.

The majority of the team's money needs to go into beefing up the O-line and maintaining what could be an elite D if healthy. It would be epic if Dobbs turned out to be a diamond in the rough. Having the QB position at a very cheap price while building around him with top-tier talent would be ideal. Likely? Probably not, but we can always be hopeful.

I agree, but that does not change the fact that he needs more time. We definitely should have either kept Woodside or picked up a more experience backup. Looks like Vrabel/new GM came to the same viewpoint recently...

because T17 has done it before that is why

The majority of the team's money needs to go into beefing up the O-line and maintaining what could be an elite D if healthy. It would be epic if Dobbs turned out to be a diamond in the rough. Having the QB position at a very cheap price while building around him with top-tier talent would be ideal. Likely? Probably not, but we can always be hopeful.
at least he made decisions and did something... which was nice

only real gripe I had was the time he could have & should have ran but threw into coverage... might have been picked I cant remember... but he should have just ran the rock there was space in front of him

Agree with @GoT at this point I chalk that up to lack of game experience.

That said, I am WAY far away from agreeing to more than the view that he is a better option than Willis right now. Maybe that changes next week, but there is a reason that he has spent 6 seasons tossing 17 passes in mop up duty before we picked him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back