Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
fwiw - Spotrac analyzes all the NFL team's QB room, with regards to their status
NFL Offseason Financial Analysis: Quarterbacks

Tennessee
Before 2022, Ryan Tannehill had no chance of sticking around Tennessee for the final year of his contract. That sentiment has changed (and not because he lit up the stat boards this season). Tannehills non-guaranteed $27M for 2023 comes with a $36.6M cap hit. A small restructure should clean things up a bit while not damaging their future caps too much. With that said, Tennessee could very much be a landing spot for Jimmy Garoppolo, Jordan Love, etc… this offseason, which then puts Tannehill’s contract on notice. The Titans can free up $17.8M of cap space with a Pre June 1st release of their veteran QB.

Backup Malik Willis didn’t exactly instill confidence in the position going forward, but his 3 year, $3.5M non-guaranteed remaining rookie deal offers little to no risk from here out. Will Tennessee try to find their next future QB this offseason, or is that plan still a year away?
F Willis. May be the worst led performance I’ve ever seen. My eyes still burning. Don’t like Josh Dobbs but he looked SO much better I’m ready to cut Willis.

I feel like Malik could very well follow a Jalen Hurts development timeline. Hurts was dreadful in spot play his first year, was mediocre his second year, and is a star his third year with arguably the best O line and WR group in the league. Right now Malik is with the worst OL and WR groups in the league with the worst O coordinator in the league. He needs time to develop, but we all knew that.
If all breaks well for him maybe. The physical tools are certainly there. Do I trust that the titans put him in that situation? Absolutely not

Dobbs threw for more yards and TDs in his first career start after being here only 8 days than MW7 has in 3 games.

Willis has 276 yards, 0-TDS , 3-INTs and a QBR of 12.5. I don’t see this guy ever developing into even a quality backup.

If all breaks well for him maybe. The physical tools are certainly there. Do I trust that the titans put him in that situation? Absolutely not
What physical tools are there? He can't outrun/elude NFL players and that was his main threat in college.

There's just nothing there from preseason thru 3 NFL starts that says he has any more potential at playing NFL QB at a high level than I do.

Dobbs threw for more yards and TDs in his first career start after being here only 8 days than MW7 has in 3 games.

Willis has 276 yards, 0-TDS , 3-INTs and a QBR of 12.5. I don’t see this guy ever developing into even a quality backup.

Dobbs has the upper hand just because he has been around the NFL for a while.... But I agree, Willis just doesn't look the part at all and I would be surprised if he ever even makes it as a back up QB.

What physical tools are there? He can't outrun/elude NFL players and that was his main threat in college.

There's just nothing there from preseason thru 3 NFL starts that says he has any more potential at playing NFL QB at a high level than I do.
Arm talent mostly. But he's also, big, strong and fast. Has he put any of that to use? No. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist either.

Assuming we don't draft another QB, cut Malik and make Dobbs the backup to Tannehill.
Who says Dobbs wants to be here as a backup? If he impresses next week/potentially in the playoffs what's stopping him from competing for a starting job somewhere? As opposed to being a clear #2 to tanne?

Who says Dobbs wants to be here as a backup? If he impresses next week/potentially in the playoffs what's stopping him from competing for a starting job somewhere? As opposed to being a clear #2 to tanne?
Nah, he's been bounced from five different teams already. He's similar enough to Tannehill to fit our archaic offense and he's better than Malik or Woodside. But he'd still be a bottom-half backup.

Assuming he doesn't blow the game in Jacksonville next week and find himself on another practice squad next year or building rocket ships. Which is probably the most likely outcome.

After hearing Vrabels comments after the game, I think its safe to say the Malik Willis era is over... er, isn't gonna ever start. Y'alll know what I mean

STARTING JOB? Dude has been in the NFL for 6 years and we took him off a practice squad... Holy hell, starting job?!

While Dobbs looked miles better than Willis, I think we should hold the horses on his future prospects. There are plenty of stories of a backup coming off the bench and looking good but they can’t sustain that success. Especially once defenses get film on that QB.

There is a reason Dobbs has been in the league for 5-6 years and hasn’t even been able to land a steady backup roll somewhere. I hope he catches lightning in a bottle over the next few weeks like Foles did back in 2017. But I’m not expecting anything more than that over the long term.

I understand the desire to bury Willis. But has anybody else noted that the PS QB with 8 days with the team, playing behind a horrific line, without Derrick Henry, had a game roughly equivalent to Ryan Tannehill's?

Willis and Dobbs are not the answer. But then, neither is the $38 million man heading the QB room.

In 2023, change begins at QB.

I understand the desire to bury Willis. But has anybody else noted that the PS QB with 8 days with the team, playing behind a horrific line, without Derrick Henry, had a game roughly equivalent to Ryan Tannehill's?

Willis and Dobbs are not the answer. But then, neither is the $38 million man heading the QB room.

In 2023, change begins at QB.
They will ride with Tanne next year whether they restructure to get that cap hit down or not. But I'm ready to move on from his smug arse. I've had enough of that smiling after the 3rd INT crap.

I liked his command and composure, but I'm not even sure that Dobbs looked good. I think our standards have been lowered to be able to throw the ball on the same television screen as a receiver.

I liked his command and composure, but I'm not even sure that Dobbs looked good. I think our standards have been lowered to be able to throw the ball on the same television screen as a receiver.
100% agree. Right now we are honestly looking for any positives we can find and being content with it. He threw passes that were directly to defenders. Thats why I said last night that he obviously has trouble seeing people right in front of him.

I think that we need to see how Willis progresses during the off-season and next preseason before we start writing him off. Prefacing that it was a different league back in McNair's day, lets all recall that he did not become the starter until his third season, then really did not become a great passer until after our Super Bowl season (always tough and a great runner admittedly). He was considered a "project" back then as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back