Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep everyone outdoors, there is no fear of catching rigatoni outside. UV light kills it on contact also came out that it’s pretty much impossible to catch it from surfaces. You have to cough in someone’s mouth. Now turn off Fox/CNN.

Keep everyone outdoors, there is no fear of catching rigatoni outside. UV light kills it on contact also came out that it’s pretty much impossible to catch it from surfaces. You have to cough in someone’s mouth. Now turn off Fox/CNN.
So someone can sneeze on a piece of food and were safe?

kind of a refreshing corona related read
FMIA Guest: Front-Line Workers On How Sports Helped Them Prepare - ProFootballTalk

BY MYRON ROLLE
In May, I operated on a patient with COVID-19 who had a tumor that was causing obstruction to the fluid-filled spaces in his brain. I’ve operated on some very sick patients before, including those with full-blown tuberculosis, and at that point I had been working with coronavirus patients in the surge clinic for several months, so I was familiar with how to navigate. That said, my expertise is in the central nervous system, and coronavirus ravages the respiratory system. Our teams must take new steps, from the tests we order to the intubation process (I have to stand outside during intubation, to be sure I am not infected) to the way we position the patient to maximize oxygen intake to the lungs. We were able to successfully remove the tumor and do our part as neurosurgeons. While he’s still in the hospital with a long road ahead, he’s had several negative COVID-19 tests, so we’re moving in the right direction.

During my shifts in the surge clinic, my colleagues and I are foot soldiers in this larger fight. We manage and triage patients, put in orders for CAT scans and chest X-rays, set up consults and get patients where they need to be, all while taking extensive precautions to protect ourselves and avoid transmission. Despite the busyness of this team, one of the most jarring things is seeing empty hallways in the hospital, knowing that family members can’t come in, essential staff is limited and that people in need have had their procedures postponed to allow us to help the very sickest patients.

All the while, my football background has been huge for me—both in my medical career and during this coronavirus crisis. My defensive coordinator at Florida State was the legendary Mickey Andrews, who taught us this mantra: “Get 2 percent better every day.” He would challenge us to just take these small incremental bites in our tackling, in our stamina, in our blitz packages. If you add up all those incremental bites, it leads to a big change, and you’ll be so much better than you were when you started.

I’ve extrapolated that 2 percent mindset to life. I try to get 2 percent better whenever I do anything, especially in surgery and the technical skills we rely on every day. That includes learning daily about COVID-19 and getting myself up to speed with the new data and journal articles on how to manage these patients correctly. In everything, I work to get 2 percent better to be the best provider I can possibly be.

Throughout my career, football taught me how to find common ground. When I left my high school in Princeton, New Jersey and came to Florida State, I had teammates with dreadlocks and gold teeth, who listened to different music and ate country-fried steak and food I’d never heard of before. Trying to fit in as a prep school kid with glasses who tucked my shirt in my pants was difficult. But football brought us together and became a commonality. My teammates loved to freestyle rap before games, so I went home and learned how to rap watching YouTube videos. And the guys started to accept me—I wasn’t just some geek from New Jersey. Now, in medicine, when I tell a patient, “We’re going to slice in your back and try to fix your spine,” or, “We’re going to go into your brain,” I can stop and say, “Hey, let’s talk about football and how great the sport is.” It relaxes them and allows you to build that rapport we need so that patients trust us.

What about the plane rides? We gonna need a 2nd plane

either you believe your screening methods work or you don't. If you don't believe they work, you shouldn't be doing them. If you do believe your screening methods work then you're fine.

I think the word Covid must be an alien code word that triggers a "common sense" dump in the human brain. (excluding you of course JCB).

Words I never want to hear again the rest of my life:

social distancing
new normal
"Rona"
Clorox wipes
WFH
stimulus package
HHS
Dr. Fauci
antibody testing
quarantine
safer at home

either you believe your screening methods work or you don't. If you don't believe they work, you shouldn't be doing them. If you do believe your screening methods work then you're fine.

I think the word Covid must be an alien code word that triggers a "common sense" dump in the human brain. (excluding you of course JCB).

social distancing
new normal
"Rona"
Clorox wipes
WFH
stimulus package
HHS
Dr. Fauci
antibody testing
quarantine
safer at home
I can live with social distancing, not having some 3 year old yelling 3 inches from me in line somewhere is nice. I haven't been hit by a shopping cart in months either. Gota admit that is nice lol

Coordinators sure. But head coaches, position coaches, trainers, and equipment staff have to be on the field tho.

And of course theres those old refs, but who cares about them....
I suppose they could just use the entire sideline as opposed to the normal bunching up at wherever the LOS is. Maybe box out certain areas by position or at least O/D. There really aren't THAT many people on the sidelines.

you want to bet money on that? not moolah. real money. pick the amount. you're obviously not paying very close attention.
I’m paying very close attention. I’ll put up a Jackson if you want to make this interesting. States that have been open for almost the last two months have a lower infection rate than states that have been under quarantine this entire time. Vitamin D deficiency is a real factor and stay at home orders only made things worse.

So someone can sneeze on a piece of food and were safe?
Probably safe from COVID, but plenty of other things you can get.

If I recall (it's been awhile), before COVID world took over, if someone sneezed on my food, I didn't eat it.
I don't eat my own boogers, certainly not eating someone else's.

social distancing
new normal
"Rona"
Clorox wipes
WFH
stimulus package
HHS
Dr. Fauci
antibody testing
quarantine
safer at home
But what about "Now, more than ever..."

I’m paying very close attention. I’ll put up a Jackson if you want to make this inte
Probably safe from COVID, but plenty of other things you can get.

If I recall (it's been awhile), before COVID world took over, if someone sneezed on my food, I didn't eat it.
I don't eat my own boogers, certainly not eating someone else's.
So there are only roughly 7billion people i can rule out as you? Or is it you

I’m paying very close attention. I’ll put up a Jackson if you want to make this interesting. States that have been open for almost the last two months have a lower infection rate than states that have been under quarantine this entire time. Vitamin D deficiency is a real factor and stay at home orders only made things worse.
someone's been listening to some joe rogan. do you really think people aren't going outside?

anyway, i'll bet a $20 on it though that doesn't tell me you have a lot of confidence in the wager.

someone's been listening to some joe rogan. do you really think people aren't going outside?

anyway, i'll bet a $20 on it though that doesn't tell me you have a lot of confidence in the wager.
Haven’t listened to anyone but I don’t really care enough. Even if it’s eradicated you’ll still have guys like Fauci spreading nonsense to keep their name relevant and the media will keep pushing it for ratings/clicks. 396 deaths on Sunday, a 90% decrease since March 21st which was 3,940.

Haven’t listened to anyone but I don’t really care enough. Even if it’s eradicated you’ll still have guys like Fauci spreading nonsense to keep their name relevant and the media will keep pushing it for ratings/clicks. 396 deaths on Sunday, a 90% decrease since March 21st which was 3,940.
So you agree there won't be fans at games? I'm not that worked up about it at this point, but perception is reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back