Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it assumed Wilson was supposed to be a starter this season?

I know the general logic is your first round picks should be ready to contribute day 1, but jrob drafted simmons knowing he couldn't contribute day 1. Different situations but obviously it's not the end of the world to jrob if his first round pick isn't on the field immediately.

Assuming Lewan and Kelly both stayed healthy all 16 games, I can't see Wilson touching the field, even if none of the covid/dui stuff happened.

Then take into consideration that rookie tackles, even very highly graded one's normally get abused their first season.

Maybe there was never a huge rush getting Wilson out there anyway?

Either way, it's way too early to write off the kid off, hopefully he has his head on straight now.
I think it was assumed by letting Conklin walk and the history Kelly had. May not have been assumed he would take over day 1, but there had to be an assumption he would be taking over this year. Even if he gets picked in year one, he takes his lumps but hopefully improves Nate Davis style.
All said, very pleased with how the OL has played without him needing to see the field. He clearly needs some time to learn the NFL.

I think the Simmons situation was different too. He was drafted injured and it was known that it wouldn't be possible to play until at least week 8-9 his rookie season. We also still have Casey on the line until Simmons would be ready in year 2. He has performed better than I could have expected.

I think it was assumed by letting Conklin walk and the history Kelly had. May not have been assumed he would take over day 1, but there had to be an assumption he would be taking over this year. Even if he gets picked in year one, he takes his lumps but hopefully improves Nate Davis style.
All said, very pleased with how the OL has played without him needing to see the field. He clearly needs some time to learn the NFL.

I think the Simmons situation was different too. He was drafted injured and it was known that it wouldn't be possible to play until at least week 8-9 his rookie season. We also still have Casey on the line until Simmons would be ready in year 2. He has performed better than I could have expected.

Simmons is literally a top 5 pick talent wise so there isn't much comparison. Plus a RT screwing up means your QB gets killed so it made sense unless Kelly really played poorly that Wilson would have a tough time breaking into the line up. Wilson was a little bit of a reach but JRob saw long term potential rather than immediate benefits. We just have to hope Wilson isn't another DJ Fluker.

Titans allowed 56 sacks last season. They’ve allowed 16 this year. The Oline is fine. Who cares if the 1st round pick sits this year? Hell, I won’t be pissed if he ends up being a bust. JRob has hit on his other 5 1st round picks. I’ll take 5 out of 6 over all of the previous Titans Gm’s first round success rate. Compared to the rest of the league, I’d say the Titans have drafted better than most. Improving record is proof.

Most people’s frustration is that we see teams like the Chiefs, Steelers, Colts, and Ravens getting solid production from their draft picks...just imagine where we could be if we were too...it is tough to look towards the future when you are in the middle of a battle.

Does Wilson have experience at LT? We know Kelly isnt a great LT and is better than Wilson at RT right now. It's very unfortunate that we lost Lewan, but I bet Wilson would be stepping in if we had lost Kelly instead.

Most people’s frustration is that we see teams like the Chiefs, Steelers, Colts, and Ravens getting solid production from their draft picks...just imagine where we could be if we were too...it is tough to look towards the future when you are in the middle of a battle.

Evans could be our leading rushing and Cole McDonald could be our quarterback and we could be like 2-9.

Wasn't the whole point in taking him that he filled an obvious need? There were definitely better "best player available" guys on the board. They drafted for need, but they still aren't filling that need. It's not ideal.

Evans could be our leading rushing and Cole McDonald could be our quarterback and we could be like 2-9.
The issue is we aren’t some crap team that needs a bunch of production from rookies which is awesome, but having a little production would certainly be of benefit and the other top teams have been made better by their rookies and FA moves.

Pretty hard to say that JRob had a good offseason...

Point taken and its valid, however we can look at it from another point of view....first we're well on our way to winning the division and finishing 3rd seed. Second the titans overcame huge adversities to this point with countless injuries, and of course the whole covid issues....The team simply keeps getting better, and even with the bust of free agency signings, the positions which were vital to fill, in the end have no baring on the outcome. Looking towards the future....the Titans look extremely strong going forward. We have a bunch of players filling in and getting the job done, that makes for a very deep roster....we didn't break the bank in free agency, and have much needed room to acquire the pieces next year, knowing our roster is deep heading in....and have more pics coming up in the 2021 draft. To add this draft picks will need to earn their spot next year in training camp....it will be very hard to make this team, and that's a win win recipe to success!

you can't compare those two to the likes a reach ....
You completely missed the point.
The original post was a comment about Wilson/ rookies not having a pre-season, and other shortened activities due to covid
My comment was it hasn't affected the ones mentioned.
Imo, Wilson has been a disappointment, you can think whatever you want...funny thing about opinions, we all have them.

Point taken and its valid, however we can look at it from another point of view....first we're well on our way to winning the division and finishing 3rd seed. Second the titans overcame huge adversities to this point with countless injuries, and of course the whole covid issues....The team simply keeps getting better, and even with the bust of free agency signings, the positions which were vital to fill, in the end have no baring on the outcome. Looking towards the future....the Titans look extremely strong going forward. We have a bunch of players filling in and getting the job done, that makes for a very deep roster....we didn't break the bank in free agency, and have much needed room to acquire the pieces next year, knowing our roster is deep heading in....and have more pics coming up in the 2021 draft. To add this draft picks will need to earn their spot next year in training camp....it will be very hard to make this team, and that's a win win recipe to success!
much needed room to acquire the pieces next year? The cap drops quite abit next season.. I dont think we have as much room as you think we do.

the draft was not good for us this season, no other way to spin it at this point. That might change in a few seasons but as of right now, the draft was a bust and did not help us improve.

Colts look to have had a really good draft.

Chiefs and Steelers have basically hit on one guy. And I believe that any serviceable running back would shine for KC.

Ravens? They went from best record in the league to sitting on the outside of the playoffs. Who cares if their 1st rounder starts?

It is obviously disappointing as a fan to invest so much time into following the draft and free agency and get these new toys and not see returns from it, but at least short term, I don't think it is that impactful.

You completely missed the point.
The original post was a comment about Wilson/ rookies not having a pre-season, and other shortened activities due to covid
My comment was it hasn't affected the ones mentioned.
Imo, Wilson has been a disappointment, you can think whatever you want...funny thing about opinions, we all have them.

well agree to disagree - I knew he was a project we would have to borderline tear down and rebuild that had good upside...... now i see we have to tear him down completely right down to the character core...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back