Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tough to juggle the massive OL injury problems and now gambling.
Roster size is going to need expanded.

oh, and policy change needs made. I get it gambling is super easy and quick with smart phones, but who gives a s**t if an nfl player gambles on the World Series or NBA/NHL games or fights no matter the location.
while I agree with you I also am certain npf broke the rules

I am certain the rule is zero gambling on nfl properties. Seems I have read that elsewhere

anyways npf broke the rules and he knew he was breaking them... made a choice

I expect him not to fight it, but if they are using GPS signal for geo tracking, he has a legitimate defense and would likely win. More likely though is that he was connected to Wi-Fi, at which point he's screwed.
Per ESPN
“Third parties in partnership with the league are now using geolocation to identify bets placed from prohibited jurisdictions, like team facilities.”

Per ESPN
“Third parties in partnership with the league are now using geolocation to identify bets placed from prohibited jurisdictions, like team facilities.”
Geolocation reports with such great accuracy “prohibited jurisdictions” like a single building within an entire state that may legally be allowed to gamble AND knows who it is?
I call BS that this is that simple.
For example, if the janitor was gambling inside the TN building and TN is a legal gambling state (I didn’t look it up), this 3rd party is going to know NOT to report that one because it’s actually legal for the janitor?

Separate, but if the lottery is allowed, gambling should be allowed. It’s literally the same thing.

[
Geolocation reports with such great accuracy “prohibited jurisdictions” like a single building within an entire state that may legally be allowed to gamble AND knows who it is?
I call BS that this is that simple.
For example, if the janitor was gambling inside the TN building and TN is a legal gambling state (I didn’t look it up), this 3rd party is going to know NOT to report that one because it’s actually legal for the janitor?

Separate, but if the lottery is allowed, gambling should be allowed. It’s literally the same thing.
From my understanding NO staff/employee/contractor etc of an NFL team is allowed to gamble inside NFL facilities.

And yes, they can easily know the exact location... GPS has been around a long time and these multimillion dollar gambling companies probably have the best of technologies to cover their ass trying to stop people from gambling illegally.

[

From my understanding NO staff/employee/contractor etc of an NFL team is allowed to gamble inside NFL facilities.

And yes, they can easily know the exact location... GPS has been around a long time and these multimillion dollar gambling companies probably have the best of technologies to cover their ass trying to stop people from gambling illegally.

"trying to stop people from gambling illegally"? Gambling is the shadiest business known to man. No way they're investing millions upon millions to weed out the dishonest guys when the dishonest guys are the ones making them the most money.

[

I guess I’d want to see that “employee/contractor” fall under the no gambling piece. I can’t think of any legitimate reason why they would be prohibited.
Unless organizations are really worried about non-football anything employees inuring players or something to win a bet. Seems like a stretch.

I know GPS can track someone accurately. What I’m suggesting is that people within that stadium are legally allowed to gamble. No way it’s tracking individuals within the stadium and sorting out those who “can’t” gamble.
Even if it’s zero, curious how they handle a fan gambling at any point.

and I don’t know what tech a gambling company would want that potentially turns in people who aren’t allowed to gamble and risk people saying “f these guys, they turn me in for supporting them.”

There's also a thing called "authentication ". Even that's super hard to prove in court.

All these players must be admitting that they are illegally gambling, because these players can easily just say someone took their phone and made these bets.

As I understand this, the gambling was not illegal, but was in violation of NFL rules.

The punishment is from the NFL. There is no involvement of law enforcement since the gambling was legal in Tennessee or in the case of the Colts, at their location.

"trying to stop people from gambling illegally"? Gambling is the shadiest business known to man. No way they're investing millions upon millions to weed out the dishonest guys when the dishonest guys are the ones making them the most money.
Laws vary state to state. These companies HAVE to at least pretend to be trying to block people from states where it's illegal to gamble online. If not they'd be shut down in a heartbeat.

I guess I’d want to see that “employee/contractor” fall under the no gambling piece. I can’t think of any legitimate reason why they would be prohibited.
Unless organizations are really worried about non-football anything employees inuring players or something to win a bet. Seems like a stretch.

I know GPS can track someone accurately. What I’m suggesting is that people within that stadium are legally allowed to gamble. No way it’s tracking individuals within the stadium and sorting out those who “can’t” gamble.
Even if it’s zero, curious how they handle a fan gambling at any point.

and I don’t know what tech a gambling company would want that potentially turns in people who aren’t allowed to gamble and risk people saying “f these guys, they turn me in for supporting them.”

You have to link a bank account to the apps/sites to place bets or get paid from wins. There's the person that placed the bet and they know the time and place the bet was made. Easy.

I guess these companies are working closely with the NFL. No other explanation on how the NFL is finding out.

Of course they're not trying to turn in people who are legally allowed to gamble. But I'm sure if they know you're illegally placing wagers, they're obligated to at least report it to authorities. They probably won't go after Jimmy for placing a $10 bet here and there...but if some big shot is placing bets for thousands or dollars...different story.

There's also a thing called "authentication ". Even that's super hard to prove in court.

All these players must be admitting that they are illegally gambling, because these players can easily just say someone took their phone and made these bets.
It's not about illegally gamblings. They're violating rules of their workplace.

I'd get in trouble for buying scratch offs while on the clock at my job. No different for NFL players and online gambling. It's prohibited.

The crazy part is these companies have to be working really closely with the NFL to identify these players that are gambling and that they're placing wagers while at work etc.

NPF was below average last year. Not a terrible loss. Jones could match his production. It’s not an ideal situation, but if he is the only one we lose, not insurmountable.

You have to link a bank account to the apps/sites to place bets or get paid from wins. There's the person that placed the bet and they know the time and place the bet was made. Easy.

I guess these companies are working closely with the NFL. No other explanation on how the NFL is finding out.

Of course they're not trying to turn in people who are legally allowed to gamble. But I'm sure if they know you're illegally placing wagers, they're obligated to at least report it to authorities. They probably won't go after Jimmy for placing a $10 bet here and there...but if some big shot is placing bets for thousands or dollars...different story.
The site would be the only people that know.
And since we’re talking about artificial legalities, no actual law enforcement, the “requirement” to report is only based on agreements between the site and NFL.
I guess I’m missing why the site would agree to this and report to NFL authorities. The site loses money from people they know have deep pockets, I don’t see what they gain.
The only way I could see incentive is if the NFL is paying them a flat rate somewhat equal to the money they believe they could get through the bets.
Even then, why would they agree to turn in players for non NFL betting since it would have no bearing on anything so the site could still get money from the bettors and the NFL for their deal.
Speculation that’s why the site is reporting but I don’t see why they would otherwise.

The site would be the only people that know.
And since we’re talking about artificial legalities, no actual law enforcement, the “requirement” to report is only based on agreements between the site and NFL.
I guess I’m missing why the site would agree to this and report to NFL authorities. The site loses money from people they know have deep pockets, I don’t see what they gain.
The only way I could see incentive is if the NFL is paying them a flat rate somewhat equal to the money they believe they could get through the bets.
Even then, why would they agree to turn in players for non NFL betting since it would have no bearing on anything so the site could still get money from the bettors and the NFL for their deal.
Speculation that’s why the site is reporting but I don’t see why they would otherwise.

Yeah. You're legally allowed to bet online in Tennessee. This isn't a legal thing...just a a violation of NFL rules.

It is crazy that the companies are working with the NFL on this. I'm guessing there is money involved somewhere.

Anyone in the NFL who gets caught violating the NFL gambling policy should be banned for life from here on out for stupidity as they know they will be caught. The guinea pigs have done the rest of the NFL players a favor and now they better know the NFL is not playing around about this.

However, we all know more players will go down eventually. All that money they make and they still want to make $5,000 bets. Doesn't make any sense. Take a gamble on yourself to get a bigger contract.

I just love how the NFL puts its foot down on sports gambling in the league, and yet turns around and accepts sponsor dollars from the top books during in game commericals...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back