Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

I agree they’re not all winners.

this does get into the age old question regarding situation and how much of a role does that play on players.
Warmack, oddly enough almost looks better now after the last couple years of god awful OL play in Tennessee but he came around at a rough franchise time too. could Munchak OL coach as much while also HC? How terrible was Whisenhunt for everything including just locker room atmosphere? Did Warmack get burned out in Nashville by the time they were competitive again like players that “need new scenery”?
If he had been drafted to a place like Pittsburgh, does he actually prove to be more NFL ready/pro bowl caliber?

All that is speculative honestly but it can always apply to all positions.
We talk about how unsexy OL selections are but in general, they’re usually safer picks because even the not good players are often usable for a couple years.
Titans just happened to reach to the extreme rarity in a Panada, then we have to consider the system again over the Vrabel years. Either Titans targeted every bad OL they could or there was something to the coaching staff and lack of development ability.
I’m honestly looking forward to seeing a turnaround for some of the guys most of us have already determined are bums.
All of this add to my point that when I hear about a "can't-miss"/ "generational" lineman, I'm super skeptical. If they're generational, why do we supposedly see one very year?

If we draft him, I'll be happy based on what I'm reading here. I'll have faith in our new FO. I just thing we overhype certain LTs and we should save the high praise the legit Joe Thomas' of the world

I still like the idea of trading down with team like the vikings that want a qb. Take the T at 12. I would love to trade 7 for 12 23 and a third round pick

All of this add to my point that when I hear about a "can't-miss"/ "generational" lineman, I'm super skeptical. If they're generational, why do we supposedly see one very year?

If we draft him, I'll be happy based on what I'm reading here. I'll have faith in our new FO. I just thing we overhype certain LTs and we should save the high praise the legit Joe Thomas' of the world
I think the same can be said for QBs.
We have years with lots of hype around entire QB classes but sometimes end up with Mariota/Winston or worse.

I keep going back to watch Alt hoping that I will start to like him. But man, I just don't see it. He loses so much ground in pass pro. Someone on Twitter posted a "highlight" video of him yesterday playing against Ohio State, and their DE was pushing him back on almost every play, once into the QB who barely got the pass off. I just don't see him dominating guys like you would think someone who is "generational" would do.

My fav OT is Fuaga. The dude is a monster. He's primarily RT though, but some scouts think he could play LT. But all of these OTs have their issues. There's definitely no Tyron Smith or Joe Thomas in this class.

I think the same can be said for QBs.
We have years with lots of hype around entire QB classes but sometimes end up with Mariota/Winston or worse.
Agreed, but we have a lot more ways to analyze a QB than a lineman. They have a larger impact across the field. "Experts" are still wrong a lot but I also feel like they don't throw around terms like "can't miss", "generational", "future pro-bowler", like they do with linemen... Tackles more specifically.

Agreed, but we have a lot more ways to analyze a QB than a lineman. They have a larger impact across the field. "Experts" are still wrong a lot but I also feel like they don't throw around terms like "can't miss", "generational", "future pro-bowler", like they do with linemen... Tackles more specifically.
I think they use different terms like “the next….” Great QB.

I trust James Foster (No Flags) more than anyone for prospect evaluations. He has Alt, Latham, Olu and Mims with nearly identical elite grades.

Then he has a significant drop off after those guys to Fuaga, Fautanu, Guyton, Morgan, Amegadjie and then Suamataia. All of them still have high quality starter grades though.

I’m not saying they would have a problem playing Alt at RT for a year, I’m saying Peat isn’t good enough to beat out Alt at LT. If they do sign Peat with the intention of playing him at LT, I’m betting they trade back to get more picks to fill holes. Our defense has been seriously thinned out.
I like the idea of drafting Alt. But, if he is selected earlier, Let’s say sixth, do they pick the best player and try to sell and trade him or do they grab another tackle?

Last edited by a moderator:
They called Fat Chance Warmack a “can’t miss” and “day 1 starter for a long time….” F these “experts”.

I think they use different terms like “the next….” Great QB.
I think glorifying them is a little less common. You often hear "best QB in the draft", which is waaay more accurate and fair. Just off the top of my memory, only Burrow, Lawrence, and perhaps Tua (his hype fell off towards the end) had that type of generational glorification, or labeled "can't miss". Now Caleb Williams too.
I don't recall fans screaming "tank for Pickett!", "tank for Goeff!", or even "tank for Mariota/Winston!". For the most part, I feel like the experts don't have a full consensus on who's the best each year, and are quick to identify flaws in each of the top prospects.

Even Justin Herbert didn't get that hype. For linemen, it's way more common and it seems like they're wrong more than right.

I think glorifying them is a little less common. You often hear "best QB in the draft", which is waaay more accurate and fair. Just off the top of my memory, only Burrow, Lawrence, and perhaps Tua (his hype fell off towards the end) had that type of generational glorification, or labeled "can't miss". Now Caleb Williams too.
I don't recall fans screaming "tank for Pickett!", "tank for Goeff!", or even "tank for Mariota/Winston!". For the most part, I feel like the experts don't have a full consensus on who's the best each year, and are quick to identify flaws in each of the top prospects.

Even Justin Herbert didn't get that hype. For linemen, it's way more common and it seems like they're wrong more than right.
Oh, there definitely were people wanting to tank for Mariota/Winston. You just choose to block that painful memory out.

I just do not Alt that much better than the next 2 T rather trade down I do not see J. Ogden in this class and the titans have missed on O-line so many times

Oh, there definitely were people wanting to tank for Mariota/Winston. You just choose to block that painful memory out.

It should be noted that while Mariota didn't work out, "tanking" for the number 1 pick the following year was largely responsible for the success we had from 2017 through 2021. We turned that pick into Conklin, Corey Davis, King Henry, and Jonnu Smith. All of those guys were pretty important to our success in the years that followed.

It should be noted that while Mariota didn't work out, "tanking" for the number 1 pick the following year was largely responsible for the success we had from 2017 through 2021. We turned that pick into Conklin, Corey Davis, King Henry, and Jonnu Smith. All of those guys were pretty important to our success in the years that followed.
Ha! Shows how much you know. It was Dodd that made us successful

I would argue that Davis was a replaceably avg WR that was a sign JRob didn’t know how to use 1st round picks. J smith was part of the team, nothing special.
Conklin was excellent but even he was only part of the 2019 season as the team continued success through 20/21.
Henry was without a doubt the best pick period.

point being, that list of names matched with the actual titans selection definitely did not justify a “tank” season. Could of just got Henry instead of Dodd with their actual pick.

Latest posts

Back