Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
After a first round that saw the Titans miss out on Stroud, choose not to move up for Richardson and pass on Levis and Hooker, the question still remains: Who will be the Titans QB of the future?
As I see it there are three real options at this point.
A. The Titans give Malik another year to see how he develops and then take a QB next year if he’s not up to the task.
B. We take Levis, Hooker or any of the other remaining QB’s in this draft such as McKee or Haener.
C. We make a post draft addition, with Trey Lance being far and away the most obvious target.

Personally, I’d make a play for Lance at this point offering a 2024 mid round pick after the draft is complete. Thoughts?

Looks like we can get either Levis or Hooker if Ran and Vrabel like them.

I think we all know that Willis is not an NFL QB no matter how much time they give him. He’s wont even be a decent backup. So scratch that one.

We didn't pass on Richardson, the Colts took him at 4 and doubt they were entertaining a trade to Titans for that pick. We took a player of extreme need and didn't reach for him. Solid pick.

I don't think mid-round QBs are the way to build a team, so I'd trade for Lance or find a suitable FA QB to get us to next year. Next year, we need to trade into the top two QBs and select ours.

I think Malik gets alot of hate because people don't like projects.

Dude was thrown into the NFL with the worst offensive line and worst WR group ever and he of course suck ..

(Forgot about the worst OC in the NFL)

Malik needs a second chance dude was raw and couldn't scan the field and that only gets fix with time.

Malik needs a second chance dude was raw and couldn't scan the field and that only gets fix with time.
I’m pulling for the guy but if he didn’t look so completely lost I’d be more hopeful. I saw very little to make me think he has a shot at becoming anything more than a backup.

I think Malik gets alot of hate because people don't like projects.

Dude was thrown into the NFL with the worst offensive line and worst WR group ever and he of course suck ..

(Forgot about the worst OC in the NFL)

Dobbs put an end to this nonsensical take. Willis will get another shot in the preseason, but no one can blame the OL and WR for his awful performance last year.

After a first round that saw the Titans miss out on Stroud, choose not to move up for Richardson and pass on Levis and Hooker, the question still remains: Who will be the Titans QB of the future?
A. The Titans give Malik another year to see how he develops and then take a QB next year if he’s not up to the task.
B. We take Levis, Hooker or any of the other remaining QB’s in this draft such as McKee or Haener.
C. We make a post draft addition, with Trey Lance being far and away the most obvious target.

Personally, I’d make a play for Lance at this point offering a 2024 mid round pick after the draft is complete. Thoughts?
"Chose not to move up for Richardson"? It never ceases to amaze me how some fans think the NFL is one-sided. Other teams, just like the players in FA, also have free will. It's not Madden. The Texans moved up to 3 and gave up a ton!

We have no idea if the Titans tried or not. Either way, clearly they didn't think it was worth beating the Texan's offer and I completely agree.

I think it’ll be a FA next year.
No big time draft investment, no continued faith in Willis.
They just trade or sign a guy available next year.

Edit
Also not a unanimous perspective to say they missed out on Stroud
I’m glad the Cows took him. Not only did TN not take him, but he’s the giant set back on a division rival.

I think it’ll be a FA next year.
No big time draft investment, no continued faith in Willis.
They just trade or sign a guy available next year.

Edit
Also not a unanimous perspective to say they missed out on Stroud
I’m glad the Cows took him. Not only did TN not take him, but he’s the giant set back on a division rival.
That's how I feel about Richardson. 25% chance boom, 75% chance bust with at least 4 years of mediocracy.

Every "Quarterback of the future" we've have this century sucked.

I think Hooker is worth a punt in the second round, barring Levis is gone. If Levis is still there it would be a tough pick. Neither one are sure fire starters imo.

Unfortunately, we will most likely need to sign a retread vet next year, or continue with tannehill. We've backed ourselves into a bit of a corner. No chance we will be bad enough to go up for Williams or Maye next season. Pretty solid chance we have a rough patch of years coming up.

I’m pulling for the guy but if he didn’t look so completely lost I’d be more hopeful. I saw very little to make me think he has a shot at becoming anything more than a backup.
I wrote this in a previous thread and I think it’s worth repeating:
For those already writing off Malik, let me just say this. Malik was a small school player coming into the NFL with no experience against NFL caliber players. I’d like to remind you that we had another small school QB join this team a while back from a school called Alcorn State. Steve McNair. McNair was allowed to sit his first two years to develop but was forced into starting a few games his rookie year just like Malik. McNair and Malik both completed 51% of their passes in their rookie year. What’s my point? McNair was throwing to 3 time Pro bowler Frank Wycheck, 3 time Pro bowler Haywood Jeffries and Chris Sanders while behind a O-line that included 2 time Pro bowler Brad Hopkins, 5 time Pro bowler Mark Stepnowski and 14 time Pro bowler Bruce Mathews. Compare that to what Malik had this past season, and yet they had the SAME completion percentage. I’m just saying that writing Malik off at this point seems a bit premature.

For those already writing off Malik, let me just say this. Malik was a small school player coming into the NFL with no experience against NFL caliber players. I’d like to remind you that we had another small school QB join this team a while back from a school called Alcorn State. Steve McNair. McNair was allowed to sit his first two years to develop but was forced into starting a few games his rookie year just like Malik. McNair and Malik both completed 51% of their passes in their rookie year. What’s my point? McNair was throwing to 3 time Pro bowler Frank Wycheck, 3 time Pro bowler Haywood Jeffries and Chris Sanders while behind a O-line that included 2 time Pro bowler Brad Hopkins, 5 time Pro bowler Mark Stepnowski and 14 time Pro bowler Bruce Mathews. Compare that to what Malik had this past season, and yet they had the SAME completion percentage. I’m just saying that writing Malik off at this point seems a bit premature.
My thoughts exactly. Nobody would of done well behind last years OL. Willis should be afforded the same opportunity behind a much better OL.

especially writing him off as a BACKUP qb. give the kid some time. if it doesnt work it doesnt work.

I recall this post but a couple inaccuracies,
He didn’t throw to Jeffries. Jeffries last year was Mcnair’s rookie season which he hardly played.
Chris Sanders is a similar story, Sanders’s 2 big seasons were 95’ and 96’ before a steep drop off into obscurity.
Wycheck was a solid target for McNair. Those 2 were a big connection for each other, but Wycheck really wasn’t a stud TE as far as receiving target although TE was different then. His 8 total TDs among his 3 pro bowl seasons speaks largely to where TE was as a position then.
Mariota seemed to have a similar connection with DW.

mcnair didn’t have WR either. Derrick Mason came out after his first couple year to become a big time WR and that was only the 3 years mcnair was in TN.

I think that we need to take the attitude of Tanne being our QB long term even if he is on his last year of his contract. If we get him 2 more WR's and a TE, coupled with this new OL, we may see the Tanne numbers from 2019.

Ran would be smart to take a year to see how Tanne does behind this OL to make a decision on QB next year. At this point, you're right, we need to move on from the QB discussion.

responding from the other thread to move it to the QB thread.

I agree.
I think it’s pretty over exaggerated how “bad” THill is and that stems from the huge let down of 1 game. After that playoff game, the hindsight change in perspective happened from previous games.

zero people talked s**t on THill even through the KC game in 2019.
Most agreed TN had little shot against the Ratbirds in 2020 because of the D and the record breaking abilities they showcased at allowing 3rd down conversions.
Then in 2021 everyone was psyched about earning the #1 seed against the best AFC teams and even pumping their chest out there saying “TN is the real deal”, still no crying about THill.
THEN the unimaginable upset happens.

At that point, lots of people bust out their new perspective but in hindsight. They re-write their own reactions from the years prior and then, only after the Cincy game, start saying THill is never the guy, was never the guy, is a playoff choke artist, blah blah blah.

revisionists history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back