Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’s the right call not worrying about backup.
First, if THill goes down, very few backups are good enough to bother.
Second, the more money shelled out on a backup, the less money available to address the pass rush or trade/pay for Julio Jones.

I really don’t have a problem with Kizer as backup or if he loses out to woodside, it proves how really bad he is.

That would be the take if Tanny was to tear his ACL, but that's not the take you want to make if we were 6-2, along with 3 other AFC teams and Tanny was out 2-4 weeks because of a muscle pull.

We need a serviceable backup that can come in and win a game or 2 if Tanny was to go down for a few games.

Woodside or Kizer just aren't the QB's that will win us those games, even with Henry, Brown and Jones.

What is there to be baffled about? All the available FA QBs are no better than Kizer (kid only started one season) and Woodside has been around a few years and they obviously like him . Name a name if you think there is someone who would address the situation. Certainly we can get a dud with more experience but they also have to worry about the CAP. Basically if Tannehill is out any length of time we are screwed anyway.

Are you trying to tell me there's no backup QB's better than Kizer or Woodside?

Yes, Woodside has been around for a few years, but can you truly trust him as our backup QB if Tanny was to go down for a few weeks? I hope not, because you've never seen him play outside of scrimmages and preseason.

There's no argument to this. There's better QB's out there that we can bring in that will be more serviceable than Woodside and Kizer.

That would be the take if Tanny was to tear his ACL, but that's not the take you want to make if we were 6-2, along with 3 other AFC teams and Tanny was out 2-4 weeks because of a muscle pull.

We need a serviceable backup that can come in and win a game or 2 if Tanny was to go down for a few games.

Woodside or Kizer just aren't the QB's that will win us those games, even with Henry, Brown and Jones.
But that’s not the take because it’s that savings from not spending on a backup QB that sets them up in that 6-2 position in the first place.

I feel confident Jones and brown with Henry will make a weak QB into a serviceable Tyrod Taylor type QB for a couple weeks. He won’t win the game, just need him not to lose it and hand the ball off.

Basically if Tannehill is out any length of time we are screwed anyway.

That's the thing, we shouldn't be screwed hardcore if Tanny was out for a few weeks since we have a good OL, great RB and 2 great WR's.

I'll reserve judgement until preseason, but I'm not feeling Woodside or Kizer as our backup QB.

Kizer had tools galore coming out of Notre Dame, but he was considered super raw. He's been a journeyman since landing in the NFL. Super raw and being a journeyman is not a good combination for success in the NFL.

But that’s not the take because it’s that savings from not spending on a backup QB that sets them up in that 6-2 position in the first place.

I feel confident Jones and brown with Henry will make a weak QB into a serviceable Tyrod Taylor type QB for a couple weeks. He won’t win the game, just need him not to lose it and hand the ball off.

A Tyrod Taylor type could be serviceable for a couple of weeks, but Woodside and Kizer wouldn't. These guys are 3rd string QB's at best.

Tanny will be the Hill we live or die on! Funny how as I’ve aged in life, the less these games have on me. Be fun to watch this team, which, IMO at the moment, is the best in the NFL! We lost a SB to a team I think we beat 7/10. Good time to be a fan of this team.

View attachment 18508
I suppose RG3 might be interesting. But no one is clearly better than Kizer and Woodside.

Do I think there's anyone on that list better than what we have right now? Hell no. That list is absoultely awful.

Like I said earlier, I'll reserve full judgement until I see what they can do in preseason. However, I don't think they will prove to be a serviceable backup QB.

I think we have a really good roster that can win the AFC. I just don't want this team to completely fold if Tanny was to go down for some time. Regardless of what some on here think, I think it's vital we get a QB that can come in and help us win some games, whether it's from signing a surpise cut or trading for a backup, just like we traded for Tanny (even though it's a totally different circumstance as we have a legit QB, as opposed to Mariota).

Here’s a list of backups around the league

Ranking 2021 NFL backup quarterbacks: 49ers' Trey Lance headlines list of 32; Teddy Bridgewater in top five

CBS ranked them, don’t really agree with their rankings and not because Woodside is #32 but to me, this is how the backup QB situation gets looked at be a lot of fans:

Guy has limited play, if any, and doesn’t play well. Then, regardless of situation, team, or specific opponents they played against, they get labeled as trash forever. Sometimes record is used as a measuring stick, which can is t even accurate for good, starting QBs and should never be used, but does,
Over time, the previously thought decent backups get old and leave the league. Now there's “No backups” available.

I make the point of that list having a bunch of names that no one has seen take a single regular season snap of any meaning. Given a chance, they could be decent although I’m not pulling for their chance when the starter is already good.
I don’t think the active list of backups around the league is any good. Almost all 32 of those QB would be complained about if they were Tennessee’s backup.

Here’s a list of backups around the league

Ranking 2021 NFL backup quarterbacks: 49ers' Trey Lance headlines list of 32; Teddy Bridgewater in top five

CBS ranked them, don’t really agree with their rankings and not because Woodside is #32 but to me, this is how the backup QB situation gets looked at be a lot of fans:

Guy has limited play, if any, and doesn’t play well. Then, regardless of situation, team, or specific opponents they played against, they get labeled as trash forever. Sometimes record is used as a measuring stick, which can is t even accurate for good, starting QBs and should never be used, but does,
Over time, the previously thought decent backups get old and leave the league. Now there's “No backups” available.

I make the point of that list having a bunch of names that no one has seen take a single regular season snap of any meaning. Given a chance, they could be decent although I’m not pulling for their chance when the starter is already good.
I don’t think the active list of backups around the league is any good. Almost all 32 of those QB would be complained about if they were Tennessee’s backup.
We should’ve gotten Keenum 2 years ago.

Whatever, I’ll trust that whoever wins between Kizer and Woodside can handle a game or two full l in duty and pray we don’t need them for more than that.

Keizer can run and has a HUGE arm. He has the raw skills. He is also very smart. Who knows what has gone wrong so far.
Kizer has more NFL starting experience and NFL touchdowns than half the guys on that list. Just saying.

He can run and has a big arm. Not sure what his issues have been. He has the talent to succeed. Maybe we catch lightning in a bottle.

Keizer can run and has a HUGE arm. He has the raw skills. He is also very smart. Who knows what has gone wrong so far.

He can run and has a big arm. Not sure what his issues have been. He has the talent to succeed. Maybe we catch lightning in a bottle.
I can list a couple of his issues but not all encompassing:

17’ - 0-16 browns
18’ - traded to packers. I’ll notice A-Aron had no reason to b**ch about THAT QB add
19’ - member of the Raiders and gruden has started his destruction of the team.
20’ - titans, must be still raw and/or broken from those first couple years.

I dont really see how he’s ever been put in a position to learn from those “raw” skills he was drafted with.

If you've got a Drew Brees or Aaron Rogers, and you're relying on your passing game to win, you probably need a hotshot backup QB. The Titans probably figure if they need to use their backup QB for a game or two, we'll just pound Henry 70% of the plays, and hit AJB on slants the other 30%. I like the strategy of not spending $$ for a backup QB on this Titans team. We can weather the storm and not pay big bucks to hold a clipboard.

OK, so we pay out to get a backup QB and who else do we not sign? Brown, Henry, Tannehill? Good backup QBs aren't cheap. Keenan makes $6 mil a year.
That is a very good point. I hate the idea of a lost season if RT goes down, but without the pieces around him, we wouldn’t have been in the hunt anyways.

If Tannehill goes down with a season ending injury the chances of us making the playoffs, or winning a playoff game if we are lucky enough to make it in, drops significantly no matter who our backup QB is. Even with Keenan we aren't going to beat the Ravens or KC so much better to spend resources on guys that will play for sure or provide depth at other positions we are more likely to have an injury.

Now with that said a solid defense with our OL, WRs and RB does provide us a chance if Tannehill is out for a short period even if we go with Woodside or Kizer. So short term we can win a few games where we do not expect the QB to win it for us. Imagine Woodside comes in for two games and we split those games. Not much damage to our chances there.

The other side of this is that Tannehill so far has been durable. Now he has had injuries before when he was with the Dolphins and nobody is immune of the possibility of an injury. But it is far more important who your backup is when Mariota or someone more injury prone is your QB. I'm all for getting the best backup we can afford. But that is balanced with our other needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back