Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
JRob can't just look at a rusty Adoree who might be far from 100%. Anyway, his contract is guaranteed. No savings to release him.

Same for Butler. He had a solid season but how about his first with the Titans? Very mediocre and many here questioned the signing. He was playing much better last year before the injury but nothing like this season.

Point being, I think you have to look at the big picture. +$10.2M to the cap is quite a savings unless the Titans think they'll get the same production next season they did this year from him.

I'm not sure his 5th yr option is guaranteed at this point except for injury. I believe his becomes guaranteed on the 1st day of the league yr. I believe part of the new CBA does guarantee the salaries at the time the option is signed, but that is just for guys drafted in 2018 and later.

I think the best thing JRob could do would be to try re-work Butler's contract along with Byard's. Use that money to sign King....

Nowhere did I say I want to "Sign every single FA"

I do though want to re-sign a lot of our free agents. Which include Cory Davis, Jayon Brown, Jonnu Smith.

Butler our best player? LOL, being the best defender on the Titans is like being the smartest kid with Down syndrome. He is badly overpaid and that money can be better used elsewhere. Cut him, unless he takes a big pay cut.

Like it or not, the cap is a thing. Successful teams know to cut overpaid players.

Why on earth would we re sign Jonnu Smith? Firkser and Pruitt can easily match his production.

Butler was a pro bowl level player this year. Saffold was too. You want to cut them so we can resign non pro bowl level players. Brilliant!

Why on earth would we re sign Jonnu Smith? Firkser and Pruitt can easily match his production.

Butler was a pro bowl level player this year. Saffold was too. You want to cut them so we can resign non pro bowl level players. Brilliant!

Those two players give us the biggest cap savings and are overpaid.

These are the positions that need to be addressed as we do not have a starter under contract at them. If we go with your plan, there will be very little money to address them:

• Starting WR
  • Starting TE
  • 2 starting DL
  • Starting OLB/Edge
  • Starting ILB
  • Kicker
You want to fill those positions with low value FA and rookies, then we get worse next year

Last edited by a moderator:
Id like to keep Jonnu but Firkser was just as valuable.

King needs re-signed, like to keep J Brown as well.

Can we restructure Adoree? He's not worth 10 mil either.

I want someone to explain to me how Saints have managed to run a team with negative 95mil cap space? How the hell does that happen? What kind of crazy advantage does that give them to have an extra 100mil to spend on salaries that other teams dont have? Isnt the entire reason the NFL has to approve contracts is so a team doesnt get to have an extra 100mil in salary?

I'm not sure his 5th yr option is guaranteed at this point except for injury. I believe his becomes guaranteed on the 1st day of the league yr. I believe part of the new CBA does guarantee the salaries at the time the option is signed, but that is just for guys drafted in 2018 and later.
I see. I thought it basically meant a guaranteed contract.

Have we had any situation where a team extended the option and later released the player?

Look, gotta get money somewhere. If we do not cut any of these guys then we will not be able to re-sign most key FA, much less sign an outside FA. Which means the team will be worse next year.

And this is why the Titans need to act now

Either way, we are not going to be in a good spot. There were always going to be tough decisions to make this offseason.

Also, the Colts and Jags are flush with cap space.

The Titans will be fine and be a very good team next season.

The Colts need a QB, all of them. They don’t have a QB under contract at this moment. Their starting LT just retired. A lot of the Colts top players are UFA this off season. So they have decisions to make. They aren’t exactly in a great spot, regardless of how much ones they have. The Jags are in compete rebuild with a rookie QB. I’ll worry about them in 2 years.

For a team with questions marks on D you absolutely can not cut butler after the year he had

NONE of our secondary should be cut. We have a good secondary. We had a horrible DL. NO pass rush at all. The greatest secondary in the history of the NFL would have looked horrible with our pass rush this season. Our secondary did a pretty good job having to cover for 5 seconds on every play. Get a pass rush and they look very good. I don’t know why most of you don’t understand that a secondary is only as good as the pressure applied to the QB.

For a team with questions marks on D you absolutely can not cut butler after the year he had
It's not that easy. We don't have the luxury of knowing the master plan but, despite having a better season, Butler was part of a horrible defense overall. We might be seeing quite a few changes in the front seven and paying $14.2M to a 31-year old CB who has really had only one good season in the last three might prove difficult.

Certainly, the Titans will want to keep him. I think they wanted to keep Ryan after last season too and just couldn't afford the luxury.

The Titans will be fine and be a very good team next season.

The Colts need a QB, all of them. They don’t have a QB under contract at this moment. Their starting LT just retired. A lot of the Colts top players are UFA this off season. So they have decisions to make. They aren’t exactly in a great spot, regardless of how much ones they have. The Jags are in compete rebuild with a rookie QB. I’ll worry about them in 2 years.

The Colts have plenty of money to go after whatever player they want...they have like 80-90mil in cap space. They certainly do have decisions to make, but they are still going to be a tough team next year.

JRob can't just look at a rusty Adoree who might be far from 100%. Anyway, his contract is guaranteed. No savings to release him.

Same for Butler. He had a solid season but how about his first with the Titans? Very mediocre and many here questioned the signing. He was playing much better last year before the injury but nothing like this season.

Point being, I think you have to look at the big picture. +$10.2M to the cap is quite a savings unless the Titans think they'll get the same production next season they did this year from him.

TJ, pretty sure adoree is only guaranteed for injury. So cutting him would save about 10 mill. But I agree with you. You can’t make the decision based on this year’s performance since he missed the whole damn season.

The Colts have plenty of money to go after whatever player they want...they have like 80-90mil in cap space. They certainly do have decisions to make, but they are still going to be a tough team next year.

Well that all depends on their QB I would say. With the right one, yes they will be.

I don’t disagree with that. They have plenty of cash. But having cap room doesn’t mean they will be good. Who is their QB, who is the back up. Who replaces TY Hilton or do you give him a huge deal? They still have to make those decisions and their is no guarantees. Ask JRob. Free Agency can not work out even if you have the money. Missing pieces are still missing pieces. Sometimes the devil you know .....

Or, you can actually look at the games and realize, aside from losing by 14 to Baltimore and 19 to us, they only lost by single digits... also, they beat us in the first game.

So yeah, absolutely formidable.

Losses are losses. Most NFL losses are close. And they went 2-7 in there last nine games. And we lost to them with Mariota at the helm, by two. No way we lose with Tannehill playing. You can count them formidable with Brissett if you want. I would not. Happy to agree to disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back