Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh now the wrong side of 30 matters, but when watt was maybe coming here it was no big deal lol ok.

It's not like he was showing signs of decline yet, corners can normally play pretty well into their 30's.

Don’t do that. I never said that or anything like that. 2 different positions first off. Watt is a generational talent who is a 3 time DPOY winner and I thought would cost about $10 - $12million. That’s apples and oranges. Butler wasn’t showing signs of decline? How on earth after last years defensive performance can any of you say this or that guy was our best defensive player. Butler was a shutdown corner? Nobody on our defense was our best anything.

Decent Younger Free Agent CB’s that would be cheaper than Butler:

William Jackson III
Desmond King
Mile Hilton
Shaquille Griffin
Troy Hill
Chidobe Awuze
Brian Poole
Quinton Dunbar
Ronald Darby
Jason Varrett
Makensie Alexander
Gareon Conely

Don’t do that. I never said that or anything like that. 2 different positions first off. Watt is a generational talent who is a 3 time DPOY winner and I thought would cost about $10 - $12million. That’s apples and oranges. Butler wasn’t showing signs of decline? How on earth after last years defensive performance can any of you say this or that guy was our best defensive player. Butler was a shutdown corner? Nobody on our defense was our best anything.
Lol buddy you flip arguments so fast it's ridiculous.

William Jackson III
Desmond King
Mile Hilton
Shaquille Griffin
Troy Hill
Chidobe Awuze
Brian Poole
Quinton Dunbar
Ronald Darby
Jason Varrett
Makensie Alexander
Gareon Conely

Is this supposed to make us feel better?

JRob is creating a lot of needs for the team heading into this offseason. Hope he’s got a solid plan because cutting good players from a bad defense doesn’t seem like a good idea.

William Jackson III
Desmond King
Mile Hilton
Shaquille Griffin
Troy Hill
Chidobe Awuze
Brian Poole
Quinton Dunbar
Ronald Darby
Jason Varrett
Makensie Alexander
Gareon Conely

Great but our defense doesn’t need to get cheaper. They need to get better.

Lol buddy you flip arguments so fast it's ridiculous.

Be real.. what did I flip? When did I ever say we should or shouldn’t sign a player over 30? Then change my position? Butler would be the 6th highest paid CB in the NFL if we kept him. He is 31. Every other corner making his kind of money is 5 years younger.

I didn’t want nor would I have advocated for signing Watt at what he signed for.

His age wasn’t relevant. If Butler would stay for $8 to $10 million I would try and keep him. But not for the money he is getting.

I’m not flipping,

14 mil was too much to tie up on Butler at his age and level of production. Adoree was hurt last year, but we have seen him be a difference maker in the secondary. Fulton was outstanding in college in the SEC and has great potential that we did not see to to injury and absolutely no training camp to learn our system. Will not be surprised to see us resign King and go with Fulton on the outside with Adoree and King man the slot. Also, a very good possibility we go corner early in the draft. If we channel resources to improve the pass rush, we can see an improved defense this year.

Great but our defense doesn’t need to get cheaper. They need to get better.
Our starting 4 secondary players were slated to cost more than $50 million this year. And they couldn’t get a single stop on 3rd down last year. Dramatic change was necessary.

You can’t justify paying a 31y/o corner $14Mil on a cap strapped team. Would rather pay Adoree $10mil and his potential upside. Not crazy about the move but one had to go.

IF no one bites on Butler in FA, he may also come back at a reduced price. He isn’t getting 14 mil from any team in the NFL now I assure you.

Butler isn't a shutdown corner I agree and he was overpaid from the start. I liked his toughness and experience but I guess his cap might be used better elsewhere, we'll see.

Our starting 4 secondary players were slated to cost more than $50 million this year. And they couldn’t get a single stop on 3rd down last year. Dramatic change was necessary.

So having cheaper players is going to help?

Can you honestly say Butler was part of the reason we couldn’t get a 3rd down stop?

IF no one bites on Butler in FA, he may also come back at a reduced price. He isn’t getting 14 mil from any team in the NFL now I assure you.

With Butler’s mentality, I don’t think he’s going to want to come back here lol. He’s got a chip on his shoulder I’m sure. Not often you have your best season and get released.

Honestly, besides Simmons, I have no problem replacing EVERYONE on last years defense. At least now we have $17.7 mil in cap space.
So having cheaper players is going to help?

Can you honestly say Butler was part of the reason we couldn’t get a 3rd down stop?

Heck, I'm not even sure some of those guys are cheaper than the $10mil that we saved on Butler.

PFF has William Jackson at 3 yrs, $40mil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back