Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got so annoyed with the talking heads who would dismiss TN as a landing spot for Julio because we didn't have enough cap room. We always had enough room if we wanted to create it, it was just a question of if we would be willing to pay Tannehill cash up front.

Just more proof that the miserly days of the Titans are well behind us. Amy wants to win now.

I'm not as hot for this deal as many of you. I'm not saying it is a bad deal just not a slam dunk.

1. Julio's reign as an elite receiver may have ended. He had a 5 year run from 2014-2018 where he averaged almost 1600 yards a season. Now at age 32 he might be more of a 900 yard a season guy for the next 2-3 years.

2. Expensive. They are talking about a 2nd and a 5th. His annual cap hit the 3 years left in his contract is $12.5M a year. If he averages 900 yards a season he will be well worth it but injuries could erode that. He only had 51 catches last year.

Certainly Julio will be a nice guy to have if AJ goes down with an injury and Julio along with AJ and Josh Reynolds can be a dangerous trio.

He missed 7 games last year and had 51 catches. Certainly their could be injury concerns—it happens when players get older. But when he played he was good and didn’t look like he had lost anything. I think his average yards per catch were the highest in his career.

And he is a huge upgrade over Corey Davis. Davis scares no one. Teams game plan for Julio Jones. I will take Julio Jones over a 26 year old Corey Davis any day of the week.

It might not work out how we hope but it is definitely worth taking a shot on. You have to do it when you can. These chances don’t come up very often.

I got so annoyed with the talking heads who would dismiss TN as a landing spot for Julio because we didn't have enough cap room. We always had enough room if we wanted to create it, it was just a question of if we would be willing to pay Tannehill cash up front.

Just more proof that the miserly days of the Titans are well behind us. Amy wants to win now.

I was definitely wrong about that part of this. I just couldn’t figure out why JRob wouldn’t have restructured contracts earlier in the offseason to create cap space. Especially with the cap going down. But I guess he truly felt like CD84 and Jonnu were replaceable pieces. I figured he was just not going to restructure anyone but clearly when a HOF player becomes available it changes the game a little bit.

I was definitely wrong about that part of this. I just couldn’t figure out why JRob wouldn’t have restructured contracts earlier in the offseason to create cap space. Especially with the cap going down. But I guess he truly felt like CD84 and Jonnu were replaceable pieces. I figured he was just not going to restructure anyone but clearly when a HOF player becomes available it changes the game a little bit.
I think the thought process for JRob was that there was no reason to do it before signing or trading for someone. He knew he could do it at any point if he needed to, so why do it before he has to?

And agreed that Julio is definitely a different calculus than most other players.

...But I guess he truly felt like CD84 and Jonnu were replaceable pieces. I figured he was just not going to restructure anyone but clearly when a HOF player becomes available it changes the game a little bit.

Obviously JRob thought it was better to sign two guys that could upgrade the pass rush over an average #2 WR and a TE, who while solid, could be replaced by Firkser in the offense. JRob jumped all over Reynolds early in the process so he saw that move as a cheap band aid to replace Davis in the short run.

People don't seem to get the value of Firkser in these decisions. Firkser can both replace some of Jonnu's production at TE and play a part as a slot WR. We might see Firkser put up some impressive stats since he will get plenty of opportunity in both roles. And again, Firkser's run blocking was rated equal to Jonnu by PFF. He was as good as Swaim in that category.

By the way if looking at average paid per year Autry and Dupree just happen to make about the same as what Davis and Jonnu got on their deals.

I fully agree on the restructure and really, if Tannehill is the one they restructure it isn't a bad thing at all because he might end up with an extra year on his deal which if perfectly fine at his age. Well worth doing a restructure to get Julio.

I'm surprised they didn't add any voidable years to Tanny's deal to get even more cap relief.

I guess we could re-do Julio's contract to save about 10mil....if Amy Adams wants to lay out more cash.

We all cussed both of them for drops past couple years. They were replaceable. This was a good move by JRob. Can’t see how it’s not worth a (probable late) 2nd and 4th round pick while gaining a (probable early) 6th.

So who's on here saying they rather have Davis? Also the talking heads on sports TV saying the same thing. It's obvious they didn't watch any Titans games last year especially towards the end of our season and Playoff lost to Baltimore, where Corey Davis developed BHS(brick hands syndrome). I was elated to see Davis walk after that loss, tired of him having 2 or 3 good games outta the year and people saying he's a #1 playing a #2. 32 year old Jones>Davis i dont care if Davis sniffed a 1000 yard season.

It wasn't just that we didn't have the cap space. JRob made it clear he doesn't like to restructure because that's how you end up in cap hell. You don't pay the player cash up front. It's the opposite. You make a part of their current salary a bonus, and spread it over the remaining years of the contract. So you clear space this year, but increase your cap for the rest of the contract. It is "kicking the can down the road". The player also has to be willing to get paid less now.

Ultimately, I like the decision but I just didn't think it was a probability. Maybe it was also a subconscious way for me not to get my hopes up, and then get crushed. I'm happy I was wrong.

Aren't you happy we didn't restructure people to resign CD and Jonnu now? Restructuring isn't that clean. If you do it too much, you end up in a situation where CAP wise, you're overpaying for a player and might not be able to get rid of them. JRob might be banking on a significant CAP increase in 2022. Either way, it was worth the risk for JJ.

Just saw they restructured Tannehill but did not add an extra year.
Ryan Tannehill Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac
So it looks like we created $15,600,000 this year but Tanny's cap hit increases by $7,800,000 in 2022 and 2023. Again, worth the risk.

It wasn't just that we didn't have the cap space. JRob made it clear he doesn't like to restructure because that's how you end up in cap hell. You don't pay the player cash up front. It's the opposite. You make a part of their current salary a bonus, and spread it over the remaining years of the contract. So you clear space this year, but increase your cap for the rest of the contract. It is "kicking the can down the road". The player also has to be willing to get paid less now.

Ultimately, I like the decision but I just didn't think it was a probability. Maybe it was also a subconscious way for me not to get my hopes up, and then get crushed. I'm happy I was wrong.

The player does not get paid less now...in fact Tanny gets another big check right now.....his game checks will be much much smaller with the restructure, but overall money is the same for him.

The player does not get paid less now...in fact Tanny gets another big check right now.....his game checks will be much much smaller with the restructure, but overall money is the same for him.
How so? Let's say my salary was $30M but I'm restructuring $15M over 3 years. My new salary is $15 with a bonus of $5. Then I'll get an extra $5 each of the next two years.

I think teams might increase the total bonus to incentivize the player, but that just increases the cap risk down the road.

It is very possible I'm missing something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the thought process for JRob was that there was no reason to do it before signing or trading for someone. He knew he could do it at any point if he needed to, so why do it before he has to?

And agreed that Julio is definitely a different calculus than most other players.

Well my point was there were guys we could have gotten with more cap space. Like Kyle Fuller for example. But agreed on all other points.

Obviously JRob thought it was better to sign two guys that could upgrade the pass rush over an average #2 WR and a TE, who while solid, could be replaced by Firkser in the offense. JRob jumped all over Reynolds early in the process so he saw that move as a cheap band aid to replace Davis in the short run.

People don't seem to get the value of Firkser in these decisions. Firkser can both replace some of Jonnu's production at TE and play a part as a slot WR. We might see Firkser put up some impressive stats since he will get plenty of opportunity in both roles. And again, Firkser's run blocking was rated equal to Jonnu by PFF. He was as good as Swaim in that category.

By the way if looking at average paid per year Autry and Dupree just happen to make about the same as what Davis and Jonnu got on their deals.

I fully agree on the restructure and really, if Tannehill is the one they restructure it isn't a bad thing at all because he might end up with an extra year on his deal which if perfectly fine at his age. Well worth doing a restructure to get Julio.

Ive been hyping Firkser for a while now. I don’t think Jonnu was as big a part of this team as many think. Firkser almost matched his production on way fewer snaps.

My point is we could have signed the defensive guys as well as kept our own. But clearly JRob felt they were replaceable thus no need to restructure guys to bring them back.

We all cussed both of them for drops past couple years. They were replaceable. This was a good move by JRob. Can’t see how it’s not worth a (probable late) 2nd and 4th round pick while gaining a (probable early) 6th.

Well Julio has a case of the drops from time to time too. But yeah I agree this is a clear upgrade. He obviously didn’t know this was going to be an option when FA started though so just shows how he really valued everyone throughout this process.

I think a lot of GM’s would have done everything they could to keep the band together. Especially in the super bowl window we are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back