Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aren't you happy we didn't restructure people to resign CD and Jonnu now? Restructuring isn't that clean. If you do it too much, you end up in a situation where CAP wise, you're overpaying for a player and might not be able to get rid of them. JRob might be banking on a significant CAP increase in 2022. Either way, it was worth the risk for JJ.

So it looks like we created $15,600,000 this year but Tanny's cap hit increases by $7,800,000 in 2022 and 2023. Again, worth the risk.

No I get it. And I’m not advocating we should have in order to re sign Davis. Just think it’s telling he didn’t. I think if you polled the board before FA started, I think 80% or better would have restructured to keep CD and Jonnu. Everything thought the sky was falling when they left and we didn’t sign someone.

I think the thought process for JRob was that there was no reason to do it before signing or trading for someone. He knew he could do it at any point if he needed to, so why do it before he has to?

And agreed that Julio is definitely a different calculus than most other players.
With hindsight, I agree.

I was one of the posters early on saying 'BUT WE DONT HAVE THE CAP SPACE'

All it takes is a phone call to the 5 highest paid players on the team at any point over the last 3-4 months:

"Hey man, look if a high caliber player becomes available, would you restructure? You would, sweet awesome. Park that thought. Cya".

How so? Let's say my salary was $30M but I'm restructuring $15M over 3 years. My new salary is $15 with a bonus of $5. Then I'll get an extra $5 each of the next two years.

I think teams might increase the total bonus to incentivize the player, but that just increases
How so? Let's say my salary was $30M but I'm restructuring $15M over 3 years. My new salary is $15 with a bonus of $5. Then I'll get an extra $5 each of the next two years.

I think teams might increase the total bonus to incentivize the player, but that just increases the cap risk down the road.

It is very possible I'm missing something.

What is happening is base salary is being turned into guaranteed bonus money. This allows the team to spread the cap hit over the length of the contract. So the player doesn’t get less money now. He gets what he was going to get. He usually gets a lot of it up front with a smaller game check because the base salary is lower.

What is happening is base salary is being turned into guaranteed bonus money. This allows the team to spread the cap hit over the length of the contract. So the player doesn’t get less money now. He gets what he was going to get. He usually gets a lot of it up front with a smaller game check because the base salary is lower.
Are you sure? I don't think that's right. Even per the tweet below, it looks like Tanny is only getting $10M this year. I think he was scheduled for $30+. Now he's scheduled for a big come up the next two years.
Void years were added. We now have $9.1 million in cap space!

I thought the toral amount of money Tannehill actually receives each year stays the same. It's just that now the cap hit has been shifted to next year and 2023 instead of this year by converting some of his salary to bonus.

I was definitely wrong about that part of this. I just couldn’t figure out why JRob wouldn’t have restructured contracts earlier in the offseason to create cap space. Especially with the cap going down. But I guess he truly felt like CD84 and Jonnu were replaceable pieces. I figured he was just not going to restructure anyone but clearly when a HOF player becomes available it changes the game a little bit.
Don't doubt JRob again!

Are you sure? I don't think that's right. Even per the tweet below, it looks like Tanny is only getting $10M this year. I think he was scheduled for $30+. Now he's scheduled for a big come up the next two years.

The tweet is giving you his cap hit not the money he is actually getting. They are two different things.

No doubt....but we do have most of our core players signed for the next 2 yrs...AJ and Big Jeff are the next 2 guys who will get big contracts...Nate Davis is the other guy to consider, but I'm not big on paying OGs top dollar...I certainly see Saffold falling off the balance sheet after this yr...and maybe give part of his money to Davis...I also think that Byard won't see the end of his contract unless he ups his game

It would be hilarious if we traded for Rodgers and the keys to the car get swiped from Tannehill. I'd feel bad for Tanny, but it would absolutely be the right move no questions asked, and no excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back