Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a very odd, very complex situation with JRob. His drafts haven’t been very good overall if you look at them. But he has hit on the right ones in key positions and been able to hit on free agents in others. I still don’t get how we are as good as we are with as many misses as he’s had in the draft, but wins and losses are all that matters and he continues to win. I fear with the low number of draft picks we are keeping around, dark days could be on the horizon. I honestly feel like Vrabel has more to do with our success than JRob. He just has that way about him, like Belechik, that he can win with any team you give him.

Dude, in the 2019 draft Jrob took Big Jeff, AJ Brown, Nate Davis, Amani Hooker and David Long Jr.. That’s possibly the best draft class from any team in the last 5 years.

I may look at the draft a little different than most.
Assuming that we have 7 picks, ideally we should get the following productivity:
2 immediate starters/pro bowlers
2 future starters/situational players
3 backups/situational/ST players

Personally, I could care less what round they come from

The draft is like the lottery
There are just too many factors, no such thing as a sure thing

Also, JRob has to make decisions based on the information at hand when making the picks.

One GM in the entire NFL has gotten a total of 3 career snaps from a first-round pick.

That same GM just cut a player he used three draft picks to obtain.

If you can't see those are fireable offenses that other teams don't commit, you are too far gone.

If the GM of an elite team did that, fans would be lining up outside the team HQ with pitchforks.

But Titans fans are so used to being a joke of a franchise that they finally get a tiny hint of success and suddenly want to make the architect of that minor success GM for life.

This is how bad teams operate. JRob definitely made some good moves and helped bring this team back to relevance, but his growing list of huge blunders is likely to prevent the Titans from ever reaching the Super Bowl level.

At some point you need to make a front-office move that will take the team to that final level. You say thanks to JRob and find someone to elevate. There are plenty of good candidates, but if you live in a world there JRob can do no wrong then if course you don't see them.

Everyone is admitting what JRob has done wrong.

You also called out Titans fans while being a Titans fan? That makes sense.

Oh and lastly, let’s see your fantasy football draft results. You better hit on every single pick you make lol no excuses!!

It’s a very odd, very complex situation with JRob. His drafts haven’t been very good overall if you look at them. But he has hit on the right ones in key positions and been able to hit on free agents in others. I still don’t get how we are as good as we are with as many misses as he’s had in the draft, but wins and losses are all that matters and he continues to win. I fear with the low number of draft picks we are keeping around, dark days could be on the horizon. I honestly feel like Vrabel has more to do with our success than JRob. He just has that way about him, like Belechik, that he can win with any team you give him.

Because other teams struggle just as much if not more in the draft. I’m not sure where this idea that drafting hit rates in the NFL are extremely high. Look around the league and you’ll see a lot of head scratchers (in hind sight of course) for every team.

He's hit on roughly 75% of his picks before 2020. How do you figure he's had "so many misses."

BTW, that's a higher hit % than Belechik over the same span.

I may look at the draft a little different than most.
Assuming that we have 7 picks, ideally we should get the following productivity:
2 immediate starters/pro bowlers
2 future starters/situational players
3 backups/situational/ST players

Personally, I could care less what round they come from

The draft is like the lottery
There are just too many factors, no such thing as a sure thing

Also, JRob has to make decisions based on the information at hand when making the picks.

You're expectations are way too high if you think that's the baseline for a good draft.

You should roughly expect 1 high quality starter and 2-3 borderline starters/solid depth pieces in any draft. That's roughly an average draft.

Fans are often unrealistic and have expectations beyond common sense.
We have the best RB in the game, a 2nd round pick, one of the best QBs we used a 4th round pick on. One of the best Ss we used a 3rd round pick on (Hooker was a 4th round pick), one of the best WRs we used a 2nd, one of the best cover LBs, 5th round..... but hey, JRob sucks in the draft....

The other idiot button people hit is the expectation rookies should come in an dominate from day one. Nice when they do but also rare. Never mind Penei Sewell has Lion fans concerned about him... he has struggled. But Radunz is supposed to step in and make us forget about Conklin on day one?

And yes, some are just going to be duds or real slow to translate. It isn't so much Fitzpatrick simply sucks (now everyone is saying he was barely draftable) but he was a rookie competing with one of the best and deepest WR groups in the NFL. He was cut because there were simply too many guys better. Even Kinsey got cut and IMO that kid is similar to Humphries. Thus I don't excuse Fitzpatrick for not having it together more but guys like Johnson and Rogers played great. Batson freaked out in the last pre-season game to earn his spot. McMath being picked in the same draft didn't do Fitz any favors either.

Thing is Fitz was signed to the PS and quite possibly could make a jump going into next year and actually earn a roster spot. We shall see.

I agree. But the other thing about Billechick is, dude cannot draft. Great coach. Good at turning troubled players careers around. Did draft Brady. But that man has a miserable draft track record. Sony Michel and NKeal Harry in the first just as a couple of examples.

Fans are often unrealistic and have expectations beyond common sense.
We have the best RB in the game, a 2nd round pick, one of the best QBs we used a 4th round pick on. One of the best Ss we used a 3rd round pick on (Hooker was a 4th round pick), one of the best WRs we used a 2nd, one of the best cover LBs, 5th round..... but hey, JRob sucks in the draft....

The other idiot button people hit is the expectation rookies should come in an dominate from day one. Nice when they do but also rare. Never mind Penei Sewell has Lion fans concerned about him... he has struggled. But Radunz is supposed to step in and make us forget about Conklin on day one?

And yes, some are just going to be duds or real slow to translate. It isn't so much Fitzpatrick simply sucks (now everyone is saying he was barely draftable) but he was a rookie competing with one of the best and deepest WR groups in the NFL. He was cut because there were simply too many guys better. Even Kinsey got cut and IMO that kid is similar to Humphries. Thus I don't excuse Fitzpatrick for not having it together more but guys like Johnson and Rogers played great. Batson freaked out in the last pre-season game to earn his spot. McMath being picked in the same draft didn't do Fitz any favors either.

Thing is Fitz was signed to the PS and quite possibly could make a jump going into next year and actually earn a roster spot. We shall see.
JRob has made some great picks and some misses like all GMs..Radunz was supposed to make us forget Wilson though not Conklin

JRob has made some great picks and some misses like all GMs..Radunz was supposed to make us forget Wilson though not Conklin

So because he doesn’t start day 1 means he can’t do that? Nate Davis looked bad his rookie year too and he’s one of the best guards in the league now. Be patient guys lol

So your expectations were that a North Dakota State guy who played only one game last year should come in and start at RT? You do realize that few rookies can do that and those who get pushed into doing that typically suck their first year. So take a few minutes and look at the OL guys drafted in the 1st and 2nd round this year and show me the guys who have been playing at an all-pro level in camp. Get back to us when you have actually done some research.

Oh, the fact the kid is actually trying and has a good attitude makes me forget about Wilson. Wilson was a POS who basically took the money and quit. It happens.

So your expectations were that a North Dakota State guy who played only one game last year should come in and start at RT? You do realize that few rookies can do that and those who get pushed into doing that typically suck their first year. So take a few minutes and look at the OL guys drafted in the 1st and 2nd round this year and show me the guys who have been playing at an all-pro level in camp. Get back to us when you have actually done some research.

Oh, the fact the kid is actually trying and has a good attitude makes me forget about Wilson. Wilson was a POS who basically took the money and quit. It happens.
Man you come across as a douche sometimes. .like no one else is allowed an opinion...the almighty Soxcat has spoken

I was talking in general fans terms when we missed on Wilson and then we take a RT in round 2... "a North Dakota State guy who played only one game last year should come in and start at RT?" maybe should not have been taken in 2? He's been called a reach by a few people that have down the research as you put it... probably reached because of the whiff on Wilson

yeah but it can and should be avoided. Covid may have had a lot to do with the lack of in person interviews and subtle clues that an interviewer can pick up on. So I'm not as bent as the big blunder he had with Dodd. And JRob should make whoever gave Wilson and Dodd a rec aware that their word is now worth dirt. At the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back