Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mettenberger is like a new toy to everyone. They just want to play with it and use it because it's new, not necessarily better.

News flash, if the Titans are going to be successful in the next few years it will be with Locker as QB. I don't see any scenario when Mettenberger starts a game this year and us also making the playoffs.

overall- I have no idea what you are talking about, but the parts I can understand, I would respond with...

the fanbase here is clamoring for change. Basically a clean slate. I'm sure the tides will change for locker if he impresses this season, but for now, I would be thrilled to see just about every memory of the Titans from 2004-2013 stricken from the books.
My bad--knocked a few back last night and was feeling pretty good. I was comparing Jake to Steve McQeen in the movie Papillon. It was a classic flick about perseverence and determination after multiple failures leading to successfully escaping Devils Island. It was based on a true story. Anyway, after reading my post, I failed miserably.

Mettenberger is like a new toy to everyone. They just want to play with it and use it because it's new, not necessarily better.

News flash, if the Titans are going to be successful in the next few years it will be with Locker as QB. I don't see any scenario when Mettenberger starts a game this year and us also making the playoffs.
This isn't true. People are excited about Mett because he can play the position and is light years ahead of where Jake was as a draftee. Given that Jake's progress has been so slowed by injuries I wouldn't be shocked if Mett quickly surpasses him. Jake is one injury away from never playing QB for us again.

This isn't true. People are excited about Mett because he can play the position and is light years ahead of where Jake was as a draftee. Given that Jake's progress has been so slowed by injuries I wouldn't be shocked if Mett quickly surpasses him. Jake is one injury away from never playing QB for us again.

You can keep deluding yourself if you want to, but comparing a QB taken at the end of the draft in the 6th round to one who was taken in the top 10 of the 1st round and saying that he's "light years ahead" is is borderline ignorant. By that same argument, you would have to agree that if Mett came out the year Jake did, he would have been a top 7 pick. I don't think anyone on here would agree with that statement. Even if Mett was healthy, he was only projected to go in the 2nd round this year at the highest, in a weaker QB class.

You can keep deluding yourself if you want to, but comparing a QB taken at the end of the draft in the 6th round to one who was taken in the top 10 of the 1st round

Jake should have never have been drafted as high as he was. Munch took that risk and failed big time and now Munch and Co are gone! We were the only team to want Jake in the top 10 let alone first round. He hasn't really developed in to anything due to injuries and 4 years in this is a make or break year for Locker.

I do agree that Jake wasn't worthy of a #8 then. His accuracy and consistency was argued as well at the time, It's just a damn shame about his health issues. I love his work ethic and attitude, and I want him to succeed, but I have to be honest when I say that I don't feel that he will be our QB much longer.

You can keep deluding yourself if you want to, but comparing a QB taken at the end of the draft in the 6th round to one who was taken in the top 10 of the 1st round and saying that he's "light years ahead" is is borderline ignorant. By that same argument, you would have to agree that if Mett came out the year Jake did, he would have been a top 7 pick. I don't think anyone on here would agree with that statement. Even if Mett was healthy, he was only projected to go in the 2nd round this year at the highest, in a weaker QB class.

Locker has proven all his pre-draft critics correct. Inaccurate and injury prone. That's why his stock plummeted. We DID draft him too high. And the HC and GM are gone. We've blown SEVERAL top 10 picks. So top 10 doesn't mean chit to us.

Locker has proven all his pre-draft critics correct. Inaccurate and injury prone. That's why his stock plummeted. We DID draft him too high. And the HC and GM are gone. We've blown SEVERAL top 10 picks. So top 10 doesn't mean chit to us.
Unless Mett flashes greatness and Locker goes nuts on the field, I'd be drafting a top tier QB in 2015

So you're basing your entire rebuttal on draft position? Yeah, no. And yeah if Jake and Mett were coming out in the same year, I'd take Mett over him 10/10 times. Ignorant is basing your decision of who is better by solely looking at where they were drafted instead of what shows up on their college game tape. Mett right now has better accuracy and a better feel for the position than Jake did coming out of UW (Note I'm not saying he's better than Jake is right now).

It's funny that you mention Mett being only a second round guy when all the 1st round QB's in Jake's year except for Cam (Gabbert, Locker, Ponder) have been total busts at worst and wildly inconsistent at best. Guess who were the good QB's that year? Yup, the second round guys (Dalton, Kaepernick, Wilson). If that alone doesn't show you how weak your argument is then I can't help you.

Everyone knows Mett dropped to the 6th due to injury and the diluted sample, not talent, he otherwise would have been a 1st or 2nd round prospect. That's not just my opinion either. Many talent evaluators graded him very highly. Must suck that most pretty much agreed with me seeing as how you said that wouldn't happen.

So you're basing your entire rebuttal on draft position? Yeah, no. And yeah if Jake and Mett were coming out in the same year, I'd take Mett over him 10/10 times. Ignorant is basing your decision of who is better by solely looking at where they were drafted instead of what shows up on their college game tape. Mett right now has better accuracy and a better feel for the position than Jake did coming out of UW (Note I'm not saying he's better than Jake is right now).

It's funny that you mention Mett being only a second round guy when all the 1st round QB's in Jake's year except for Cam (Gabbert, Locker, Ponder) have been total busts at worst and wildly inconsistent at best. Guess who were the good QB's that year? Yup, the second round guys (Dalton, Kaepernick, Wilson). If that alone doesn't show you how weak your argument is then I can't help you.

Everyone knows Mett dropped to the 6th due to injury and the diluted sample, not talent, he otherwise would have been a 1st or 2nd round prospect. That's not just my opinion either. Many talent evaluators graded him very highly. Must suck that most pretty much agreed with me seeing as how you said that wouldn't happen.

My rebuttal was to your comment of Mett being "light years ahead" of where Jake was when he was drafted. What they have done since then has no baring on where they were when they were drafted.

Your own comment was what I was referring to when you said Mett ""is light years ahead of where Jake was as a draftee." So even if Jake fizzles out and never plays after this year and Mett is our starter for 15 years and goes to the hall of fame, doesn't mean that Mett was a better draftee. You can't take what has happened in Jake's career thus far to try and disprove his status as a better draftee because it has nothing to do with how good he was when he was drafted.

I also wasn't basing my argument solely on draft position. But you can't discount draft position, even if the Titans didn't take Jake at #8, he wasn't getting past the 2nd round and in all likelihood would have gone to Minnesota at #12 instead of them drafting Ponder (that's just based off of mock drafts at the time). Mett on the other hand was passed on by every team, in multiple rounds, until the 3rd day of the draft. And THAT is why he's not "light years ahead" (and probably not as good, but that's not the point) because NFL teams didn't see him as valuable as other NFL teams saw Jake coming out. Even if they were evenly ranked with the way NFL teams saw each player (which is where the true definition of "better draftee" really lies, not with our own opinion), Mett isn't "light years" ahead. Even if Mett was a little better, he's not "light years" ahead.

I found a tool on Twitter that really really likes Mett.

JLWlHDA.jpg

:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back