Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just really hope we draft a damn kicker this year, we need to have the option of attempting a 50 plus yarder. 5th or 6th round it has to happen

I just really hope we draft a damn kicker this year, we need to have the option of attempting a 50 plus yarder. 5th or 6th round it has to happen
I’m fine with an UDFA, just attempt to fix the K game.

I’m not really sure how the entire sam ficken situation would have rolled out this year without the injury.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cameron Dicker from Texas will be for the taking in the later rounds. He's going to be a really good kicker in the NFL.

But of course we'll end up drafting a DT from South Carolina State who will be another Murchinson and amount to absolutely nothing.

Everyone wants a great kicker. But this whole idea that it's easy to just draft one is so overplayed and just plain wrong. If it were easy to do, every team in the NFL would have a great kicker by now.

What makes this Texas kid so great? He's 50% from >50 and his career long is 50? Would I rather have him or a chance at Cortland Finnegan hmmm

The NFL draft conundrum of picking a kicker

Everyone wants a great kicker. But this whole idea that it's easy to just draft one is so overplayed and just plain wrong. If it were easy to do, every team in the NFL would have a great kicker by now.

What makes this Texas kid so great? He's 50% from >50 and his career long is 50? Would I rather have him or a chance at Cortland Finnegan hmmm

The NFL draft conundrum of picking a kicker

Cameron Dicker Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

Career long 50? I won't go back and forth over a kicker. To me from what I've seen, he's the best kicker and we're in need of a kicker. Nothing wrong in spending a late round pick on this kicker.

Cameron Dicker Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

Career long 50? I won't go back and forth over a kicker. To me from what I've seen, he's the best kicker and we're in need of a kicker. Nothing wrong in spending a late round pick on this kicker.
Woops I was looking at 2021. The overall point remains though, drafting a kicker isn't a guarantee or every team would do it.

I also have some concern that the titans are doing something wrong with our kickers. Look at the track record of kickers after they leave Tennessee, they all get substantially better.

We were spoiled by great kicking for a long time, but the kicking these last few years has been brutal. Of course its not a guarantee, but we got to at least bring one in the later rounds. Kid from Texas, or the kickers from LSU or Oklahoma have all had good college careers and have hit several from over 50

Woops I was looking at 2021. The overall point remains though, drafting a kicker isn't a guarantee or every team would do it.

I also have some concern that the titans are doing something wrong with our kickers. Look at the track record of kickers after they leave Tennessee, they all get substantially better.
Succop just returned to form from before his injury.
Santoso didn’t do anything,
Santos is pretty comparable to Fat Randy,
Greg Joseph (perfect for Tennessee) did pretty well in Minnesota,
Parkey did well enough to lose his job in Clev
gostkowski hung up his kicking leg

Am I missing any kickers?

Not sure I can agree with your statement outside Succop.

Succop just returned to form from before his injury.
Santoso didn’t do anything,
Santos is pretty comparable to Fat Randy,
Greg Joseph (perfect for Tennessee) did pretty well in Minnesota,
Parkey did well enough to lose his job in Clev
gostkowski hung up his kicking leg

Am I missing any kickers?

Not sure I can agree with your statement outside Succop.
Succop 53/61
Santos 56/62
Badgley 18/22
Joseph 33/38
Parkey 19/22

All better than what they did for us. All better than what Randers just did for us. You don't have to agree, ignorance is bliss.

I missed Santoso he's 4/5

Succop 53/61
Santos 56/62
Badgley 18/22
Joseph 33/38
Parkey 19/22

All better than what they did for us. All better than what Randers just did for us. You don't have to agree, ignorance is bliss.

I missed Santoso he's 4/5
Randy was 26/31, 83.9%, 42/45 xp 93.3%

Santos, 30/32, then 26/30, 36/37 and 27/28 xp
Badgley 18/22 85.7%, 39/39 xp
Joseph (again, perfect in Tennessee) 33/38 86.8%, 36/40 xp
Parkey 19/22 86.4%, 43/47 xp, then released. Then 3/5 xp.

What criteria are we using to say these guys are much better than Fat Randy?
By FG% this season
Joseph -18
Santos - 19
Bullock -20 Tied (McManus)
Badgley - 24

Parkey - doesn’t qualify due to lack of team, but his 3/5 xp would put him among the worst.

Randy was 26/31, 83.9%, 42/45 xp 93.3%

Santos, 30/32, then 26/30, 36/37 and 27/28 xp
Badgley 18/22 85.7%, 39/39 xp
Joseph (again, perfect in Tennessee) 33/38 86.8%, 36/40 xp
Parkey 19/22 86.4%, 43/47 xp, then released. Then 3/5 xp.

What criteria are we using to say these guys are much better than Fat Randy?
By FG% this season
Joseph -18
Santos - 19
Bullock -20 Tied (McManus)
Badgley - 24

Parkey - doesn’t qualify due to lack of team, but his 3/5 xp would put him among the worst.
They all improved from when they were in Tennessee that's my point. Joseph was a perfect 0/0 kicking field goals for Tennessee so that's a moot point.

It doesn't matter if they are better than Randy (which they were), it matters that we burn through kickers like there's no tomorrow, then on their next team they put it together and stick around for the most part. Maybe it's all just a fluke, but I don't think it's something to totally write off either.

They all improved from when they were in Tennessee that's my point. Joseph was a perfect 0/0 kicking field goals for Tennessee so that's a moot point.

It doesn't matter if they are better than Randy (which they were), it matters that we burn through kickers like there's no tomorrow, then on their next team they put it together and stick around for the most part. Maybe it's all just a fluke, but I don't think it's something to totally write off either.

There are no facts in your last sentence -- please leave personal opinions out of the topic..

I guess that’s my point, the 1% difference is “putting it together”. While people are complaining about bullock (justified), our old kickers are hardly better on their new teams and in some cases worse when considering the entire list the titans had. Succop is the exception.

And Joseph was 1/1 FG and 18/18 xp when you also look at the playoffs for Tennessee.

Randy for another year wouldn't be horrible. We definitely should bring in someone highly as UDFA though. I will say though, everyone was pissed we didin't take Blankenship in 2020. While he had a solid 2020, he got replaced midway through this season. Just goes to show you how hard it is to find a truly great kicker and how fortunate we were for almost our entire existence in TN. We've only had 3-4 seasons of poor kicking performances. Ironically, we've only had about that many seasons of great QB play, lol (I kid.... a little).

We are in good position to get one of the qb, that's a good thing, and a bad thing. Most of these qb are small school, and nobody stands out as great. But we are in the perfect draft position to snag one. So do it. End the debate. Let's give one of these kids a bank roll and see what we get.

I would trade up to get the best one of a bad lot. Pittsburgh, Carlina, and the Saints ( maybe) will be in the market ahead of us. Washington and Denver may want something shiny to hang a hat on. So we likely have to move.

Randy for another year wouldn't be horrible. We definitely should bring in someone highly as UDFA though. I will say though, everyone was pissed we didin't take Blankenship in 2020. While he had a solid 2020, he got replaced midway through this season. Just goes to show you how hard it is to find a truly great kicker and how fortunate we were for almost our entire existence in TN. We've only had 3-4 seasons of poor kicking performances. Ironically, we've only had about that many seasons of great QB play, lol (I kid.... a little).
did not trust fat randy to kick a 52 yarder in POs

he has to go

did not trust fat randy to kick a 52 yarder in POs

he has to go
I wonder if he wasn’t trusted or if Vrabel was just that invested in his 2 pt conversion decision, aka going for it vice kicking the FG by decision, not lack of faith in Fat Randy. May not know the answer for sure but Randy was only 1/1 from 50+ all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back