Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure Radunz ever does much of anything. In J-Rob I trust. But is evaluation of offensive lineman is not good. I do not care what we do at pick 26 as long it is not another offensive lineman bust

Only big miss at OL (so far) was Wilson. And that was a character issue, not necessarily a talent issue. Nate Davis and Conklin were the only other OL taken before the 6th round. Conklin is an All Pro. Nate Davis has ranged from amazing in 2020 to average in 2021. For a 3rd rounder, he's been pretty solid.

Radunz didn't get much of a chance to play in 2020, so this year was his first real playing time in nearly 2 years. Hard to evaluate him with such little playing time, but he was pretty awesome in his lone start and against Bosa no less. I think he'll turn out fine with more experience.

Re-sign Ben Jones should be priority #1, imo.

I love Landry, and we should certainly try to bring him back. But given we just signed Dupree to a big deal and we HAVE to re-sign Simmons in the next year or so, I wouldn't overpay for Landry. Tagging him seems like the best move here. If he threatens to hold out, trade him and get that 2nd round pick we are missing.

After we address the 2 above points, we need to sign a G to replace Saffold, who seems like a certainty to be cut.

Only big miss at OL (so far) was Wilson. And that was a character issue, not necessarily a talent issue. Nate Davis and Conklin were the only other OL taken before the 6th round. Conklin is an All Pro. Nate Davis has ranged from amazing in 2020 to average in 2021. For a 3rd rounder, he's been pretty solid.

Radunz didn't get much of a chance to play in 2020, so this year was his first real playing time in nearly 2 years. Hard to evaluate him with such little playing time, but he was pretty awesome in his lone start and against Bosa no less. I think he'll turn out fine with more experience.
robinson whiffed bigly on conklin contract

That was in his first/second year as a GM, curious if he views that situation as a learning mistake. It’s fair to expect anyone new to a position to having some growing pains.
JRob moved up in the draft to select him, OL is a vital part of the offense, you would think he'd figure it out prior to Conklin leaving. I get he was coming off an ACL tear but he should have been extended.

robinson whiffed bigly on conklin contract

I thought the main whiff was not picking up Conk's 5th year option. I know there were injury/performance concerns after his 3rd year, but it seemed like a fairly low risk gamble on a guy that was an All-Pro his 2nd season.

I don't have an issue with not paying Conklin as a free agent. We had to re-sign Tanne and Henry so our budget was limited. I also believe they thought Kelly was good enough to replace Conklin at the time.

JRob moved up in the draft to select him, OL is a vital part of the offense, you would think he'd figure it out prior to Conklin leaving. I get he was coming off an ACL tear but he should have been extended.
I mean a young GM is kind of granted a couple mistakes takin go into consideration the totality of what the GM job is.
It’s more a question for JRob but if he looks back on how he handled the Conklin contract situation, does he (JRob) think he made a mistake and do we have proof since then, that he’s learned from it.
I think there are many positions that are somewhat entitled to some “rookie” mistakes. I look at HC performance as a second time around as an example.

It was not Robinson, but the Titans used a top ten pick on huge bust, Chance Womack!

Funny thing is, the majority of people on this site didn't want us to pick up Conklin's 5th-year option. It's not like it was an obvious choice that JRob whiffed on. It was a gamble that he didn't take, but with 20/20 hindsight we can say that he should have taken that bet.

Robinson has access to all practice and can personally interact with players at his will. Robinson is in a position to evaluate and has full knowledge of totality of situation. PLUS its robinsons job to make that evaluation ... he choose poorly

and I disagree with your assessment that majority of GoTitans wanted to pass on Conklin

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny thing is, the majority of people on this site didn't want us to pick up Conklin's 5th-year option. It's not like it was an obvious choice that JRob whiffed on. It was a gamble that he didn't take, but with 20/20 hindsight we can say that he should have taken that bet.
Even hindsight I still don’t think keeping Conklin was really possible, either that or they accept other positions just stay crap.

GM has the constant attempt at balancing the cap and keeping the best players possible to fill an entire roster. Sometimes, even good players, have to go. Conklin was coming off a weak year of performance, unknown for sure what he’d return to, and he would have been very expensive with a bunch of other holes across the roster including pass rush, which by default across the league, isn’t cheap.

I’d like to hear Jrob’s legit take (not just a public statement) on how he thinks about those decisions that offseason. It was also only his second year as a GM. Like I posted earlier, any position would be given leniency on a mistake so long as they learn from it. Subjective by us, but has he learned from some of his earlier GM moves that could be considered mistakes?

After signing Lewan to such a high contract (at the time) it made it very very difficult to pay Conklin what he wanted. It was even more difficult with him coming off an injury and hard to know if he was going to return to full form or not.

No guarantee he would've blown his knee out here but yeah it's impossible to say either way how Conklin would've worked out here

Sure, but his play validates our decision.

The problem wasn't letting Conklin walk for top RT money in the league. The problem was drafting Wilson. You also have to consider that we might not have gotten one of those defensive pieces like Bud or Autry if we signed Conk.

Sure, but his play validates our decision.

The problem wasn't letting Conklin walk for top RT money in the league. The problem was drafting Wilson. You also have to consider that we might not have gotten one of those defensive pieces like Bud or Autry if we signed Conk.
Sort of hitting the FF button on how it rolled out.
Fully agree, if we sign Conk, no money for other key players.
The problem (aside from “replacing” him with Wilson) was the money was spent on bad pass rushers. Titans needed pass rush, just clowney and that other turd from ATL were giant wastes of money.

JRob was smart in cutting losses on those scrubs to go after autry and Dupree.

I think we are in a very similar situation with Landry as we were with Conklin (except the injury issue). They both are very solid players that we would love to have on the team, but the cap makes it impossible to keep everyone. Landry is a great piece to have for the defense, but is not a player teams really have to scheme against…Landry isn’t going to consistently beat OTs one on one…he is greatly helped by the other players on the DL who demand double teams…rarely do I see an offense that actually schemes to double Landry. I love Landry and would like to have him back, but I understand from a cap standpoint you have to spread your money around…we have paid Dupree and are getting ready to pay Simmons…I think we would probably be fine with picking up a young FA like Muhammad from the Colts, drafting a young edge guy and then having Weaver return from injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back