Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd have taken that approach with Richardson but Levis is 24 years old. If he isn't able to handle and NFL offense and adjust a year of holding a clipboard won't change that
This is my thinking, not necessarily a proven system,
But even if he’s capable of handling the NFL, I still think he’s got room for growth at the next level, that 1 year only prepares him that much more.

im also still a believer in the repeated concern known as David Carr disease. Toss those guys out there too early, they get F’d up and it stunts their growth immediately.
I think this is why so many QBs get thrown out so fast over the past 15-20 years.

Yes. Desperate that they can't wait another season. Forcing a square peg in a round hole and now basically throwing away 2023. I didn't think we'd be contenders this year but now any hope to a good season is pretty much out the window.

And then what? We're really excited for Will Levis in 2024? Really? People are comparing him to Tannehill. I won't call him a bust for the Dolphins but he certainly wasn't a hit either. Stuck in perpetual mediocrity.

That said... I REALLY HOPE I'M WRONG!

We weren't doing shit in 2023 anyway.

We had one qb on the roster. And Willis, who is likely gone now.

Yeah, Levis didn't have a good 2022. He was hurt, had absolutely no talent around him at all, and a bad oc. (So playing for the titans will be familiar territory for him at least lol.)

His 2021 was much better. Has great physical tools, almost Josh Allen level.

He has a tendency to be a bit of a gunslinger. He will need to develop more patience and caution. But he was in a situation where he felt he had to do everything.

Will be be great? Who knows. But the talent is there. For the investment we made, it's a worth risk.

We gave up a 3rd next year, huge difference, and there were a handful of teams trying to trade up for him at the top of the second round. Guessing the reason we were even able to make a deal is because of Monti.
If OP is right..

Cards get 41, 72 and a 2024 third.
Titans get 33 and 81.

72 is our third this year. We're swapping down and giving up a future one.

I dont think they were going to get anyone with that pick that was going to change the trajectory of the season, so not sure how this throws away 2023 at all.
Who are we throwing it to? Drafting a 2rd WR can make a bid difference. See AJ Brown as an example.

I think waiting for next season is a bold strategy anyway.
Not only does tanking not actually work, it seems lots of eggs are being put into the Caleb Williams basket.

let’s assume he even lives up to that hype and becomes the #1 pick next year. How do the titans bank their entire season this year on trying to get that pick?
No other QBs that are already “guarantees” so the field will be no different than this year, a handful of overhyped QBs.

clearly Ran likes the guy and doesn’t see him as a square peg.
Williams was an option but not the only option. Like I said in a post before, the new model seems to be build a team first then find a QB that can take you there. If you suck and have the opportunity to draft a Burrow or Herbert, great. If not, then trade for a QB that can take you over the top like Stafford and Brady.

Williams was an option but not the only option. Like I said in a post before, the new model seems to be build a team first then find a QB that can take you there. If you suck and have the opportunity to draft a Burrow or Herbert, great. If not, then trade for a QB that can take you over the top like Stafford and Brady.
When do you know which route to go?

it’s rhetorical but that’s what makes being a GM so difficult.
He’s taking the chance on Levis vice the unknown of next year.

I think overall we’re in agreement that there are more holes to fill.
I think the strong arm, gunslinging style may be reason for a little excitement. he could be terrible, but that’s not really a QB style the titans have ever had, maybe Collins.

Who are we throwing it to? Drafting a 2rd WR can make a bid difference. See AJ Brown as an example.

ANother receiver would be nice for sure, but just like we can ask who the qb "is going to throw it to", we can also ask who is going to be throwing to the receivers, and Malik certainly didnt do anything to make anyone think he is the guy going forward. We also have to be realistic, this is a team with a lot of needs, and they arent going to be able to fill them all in this draft. If Levis works out this ends up being a steal, if he doesnt work out it sucks, but I dont necessarily think it is a huge set back.

Dude has a lot to prove and a chip on his shoulder. Let him sit and learn how to be a professional from Tanny. If by then he shows promise, turn him loose in his second season. He probably needed some humble pie. Falling to the second round provided that.

I don't know anything about the guy or why everyone (not just Titans fans) didn't want him

all i care is

can he sit in the pocket and complete a pass?

That this is the barometer speaks volumes about our organization from top to bottom, from the scouting dept to the front office.

We weren't doing **** in 2023 anyway.

We had one qb on the roster. And Willis, who is likely gone now.

Yeah, Levis didn't have a good 2022. He was hurt, had absolutely no talent around him at all, and a bad oc. (So playing for the titans will be familiar territory for him at least lol.)

His 2021 was much better. Has great physical tools, almost Josh Allen level.

He has a tendency to be a bit of a gunslinger. He will need to develop more patience and caution. But he was in a situation where he felt he had to do everything.

Will be be great? Who knows. But the talent is there. For the investment we made, it's a worth risk.
The had "no talent' around him excuse needs to go. We've been using it for too long. Great QBs elevate the players around them. Sure it doesn't hurt to Chase, but most QBs have to make the most with non-future NFL players.

Yea, hopefully he becomes the next Josh Allen, but damn, he's more likely to be the next Jake Locker. Even if he does have the potential to boom, do you really have confidence in our coaching to elevate his game? I can't hold my breath.

If OP is right..

Cards get 41, 72 and a 2024 third.
Titans get 33 and 81.

72 is our third this year. We're swapping down and giving up a future one.
A jump like that in the second, especially for a falling QB, would normally require at least a future second or a high third in the same draft going out with nothing coming back. Even if Levis doesn't pan out that's an awesome maneuver. Losing our 3rd this year would have been killer with the holes we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back