Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a QB in an NFL draft, he's the new 'shiny thing' that everyone must have or else we 'lose' the post draft rankings. Just like the slew of QBs that were in last year's draft, and just like the slew of QBs that will be in next year's draft. The biggest difference is that the rest of the league thought so highly of this guy that they didn't draft him. If that's not a ringing endorsement I don't know what is..

That’s not how that works. There are too many examples of QBs that were can’t miss that missed and later round QBs that were successful. Too many.

That's exactly my point. Take a WR or try to trade back.

It's pick 52 and Hooker is on the board still. There's a chance Levis would have also kept sliding. If a team really wanted Levis, and lost him to us, they would probably trade up for Hooker since there's not much after him. Just speculation though. No way we know for sure.

Or the Titans knew a certain team was going to take Levis and by taking him the other team went another direction. Hence all the trades. But it’s clear the guy Hooker, that many of you like, NFL teams are passing on TWICE.

Really? There was literally a 220lb WR from Ole Miss that we bypassed on our way to trip over ourselves by drafting a position we literally didn't need.

You guys and WRs. QB is literally the most important position in sports, period. If you have a really good one you win. If not you don’t.

There is no guarantee you shore up the QB position next year. It's not like great QBs are always on the market, Tannehill is coming off an injury and isnt getting any younger, and I dont think the Titans are going to be bad enough to get Caleb Williams or anyone close to him. But if they are that bad, they can still take that guy if they want to. It would be easier to sign a top tier FA receiver next year than it would be a QB. If this team was going to compete for a SB this year, I would agree with you, but I highly doubt they are.
there's no guarantee you shored up the QB position this year. Just like we didn't shore it up last year. There's a lot of uncertainty so you play the odds. Tanny may regress but we have him at least one more year. What we didn't have, was OL and WRs, we addressed one (for the most part) and completely neglected the other (for now). You're better off playing for 2023 and building the core pieces, if it all blows up, then you're in position to draft a QB. Drafting one now increases the likelihood 2023 blows up, but now we won't draft a QB. Or worst case scenario, we pull a Cardinals and have to double dip.

You can say that about a lot of players that end up being good. The draft isnt an exact science, plus, QB isnt a position that every team is going to draft high so watching teams with established QBs passing on him in the first doesnt mean much.

Yes, I get that the draft is a gamble, but my point is don't gamble on positions that are not a priority.

And of course I'm just kidding, I actually really like trading up to draft a QB. Maybe he can throw it to the trash can we'll have lined up in the slot, alongside the dishwasher we'll have playing TE opposite Chig. On 3rd and 23 of course. 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

The reason you end up with TE's like Geoff Swaim or Safety's like Donnie Nickey or LT's like Dennis Daley on your team is because you reach for players you don't need instead of addressing the holes you do.

there's no guarantee you shored up the QB position this year. Just like we didn't shore it up last year. There's a lot of uncertainty so you play the odds. Tanny may regress but we have him at least one more year. What we didn't have, was OL and WRs, we addressed one (for the most part) and completely neglected the other (for now). You're better off playing for 2023 and building the core pieces, if it all blows up, then you're in position to draft a QB. Drafting one now increases the likelihood 2023 blows up, but now we won't draft a QB. Or worst case scenario, we pull a Cardinals and have to double dip.

It's not like the Cardinals, the Cardinals took a QB at 10, and then the next year at 1. Levis is a 2nd round pick. Obviously you want production out of your 2nd round picks, but it isnt wasting a top 10 pick like the Cardinals did.

I would argue they are playing the odds. You cant win in the NFL without a QB anymore, and the Titans have an aging QB coming off an injury, and a 2nd year QB that showed next to nothing next year.

Jake Locker could have been very good. Injuries ended him. Are you saying Levis will be injury prone?
Disagree on Locker. 50% completion percentage in college is bad regardless of injury. I don't know if Levis will be injury prone. I don't know if Levis will be Aaron Rogers. My point is we're hurting the overall team by not taking a 2023 contributor while also giving up more picks. I'm also saying that it seems unlikely TO ME, that Levis is the guy that can develop into someone who will make this short-term sacrifice wroth it.

Don't love or hate the pick. I'll admit I've only watch highlights, but Levis looks like he can stand in the pocket and deliver the ball pretty well.

He'll get to sit behind a vet for at least a season... Titans are trying to shore up the OLine and have money to spend next off-season for shiny new WRs. It could work out really well if Levis is decent/good and Ran makes the right moves on offense next year.

Yes, I get that the draft is a gamble, but my point is don't gamble on positions that are not a priority.

And of course I'm just kidding, I actually really like trading up to draft a QB. Maybe he can throw it to the trash can we'll have lined up in the slot, alongside the dishwasher we'll have playing TE opposite Chig. On 3rd and 23 of course. 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

The reason you end up with TE's like Geoff Swaim or Safety's like Donnie Nickey or LT's like Dennis Daley on your team is because you reach for players you don't need instead of addressing the holes you do.

How is QB not a priority? When Tannehill went out last year our QB play was terrible, and Tannehill isnt exactly Tom Brady or Peyton Manning either. This team was going to have to take a QB either this year or next year.

Or the Titans knew a certain team was going to take Levis and by taking him the other team went another direction. Hence all the trades. But it’s clear the guy Hooker, that many of you like, NFL teams are passing on TWICE.
No way to know but seems more unlikely. QBs after round 1 are more of a need pick than BPA. But again, who knows? You may be right.

To be clear, I am not a Vols fans and I would have been even more disappointed if we drafted Hooker. UNLESS, we traded down and were able to get Levis or Hooker later and as a luxury pic. Not drafting from 11 to 81 is crazy with this many needs. QB wasn't a need right now.

You guys and WRs. QB is literally the most important position in sports, period. If you have a really good one you win. If not you don’t.

Well, I was literally responding to a post about WRs, but with that said, if Tom Brady in his prime was throwing to Geoff Swaim and Cody Hollister, how many rings do you think he'd have?

Really? There was literally a 220lb WR from Ole Miss that we bypassed on our way to trip over ourselves by drafting a position we literally didn't need.
If you think we don't need a qb, you should really stop talking about football, as you clearly have zero idea what you're talking about.

Tannehill won't be here in 2024, so we drafted Levis who could be the starter next year...I was hoping we would draft a WR that could contribute now but maybe the thought is taking a QB now is better than waiting and missing out next year??

Hell, I say we trade tannehill for whatever handful of beans we can get. Keep his salary on our books, whatever.

Let Levis take his lumps. I don't think we'd suck enough to be in Williams/may territory, but maybe Marvin Harrison jr territory.

With no 5th year option, let's see what the kids got.

You could draft the second coming of Randy moss and Anthony Munoz and we still aren't winning shit with tannehill.

And if we suck hard enough to be holding the Williams or maye pick next year (we won't, even if tannehill has a stroke) then we would absolutely pick them, just as we just pick Levis when we took Malik next year.

In the modern NFL, QB IS EVERYTHING. Do you have a stud? No? Get one. Didn't work, get another one. Take one every damn year until you find one, because everything else you do is irrelevant until you do.

How is QB not a priority? When Tannehill went out last year our QB play was terrible, and Tannehill isnt exactly Tom Brady or Peyton Manning either. This team was going to have to take a QB either this year or next year.

With the offense we have right now, if Tanny breaks his leg in week one, what are the odds of Levis leading the Titans to the playoffs? My guess is not bloody likely. Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see. But I'd rather have Drake May next season throwing to our 2nd round TE or WR from 2023 instead of Geoff Swaim or NWI...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back