Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I did watch him play a time or two, I don't know enough about him to get too excited or upset.

However, his stats are just kinda , meh. 19 TD / 10 INT. 219 yards per game.

Serious question..... what made him such a hot commodity to the point some thought he would go top 4?

He's a QB in an NFL draft, he's the new 'shiny thing' that everyone must have or else we 'lose' the post draft rankings. Just like the slew of QBs that were in last year's draft, and just like the slew of QBs that will be in next year's draft. The biggest difference is that the rest of the league thought so highly of this guy that they didn't draft him. If that's not a ringing endorsement I don't know what is..

The had "no talent' around him excuse needs to go. We've been using it for too long. Great QBs elevate the players around them. Sure it doesn't hurt to Chase, but most QBs have to make the most with non-future NFL players.

Yea, hopefully he becomes the next Josh Allen, but damn, he's more likely to be the next Jake Locker. Even if he does have the potential to boom, do you really have confidence in our coaching to elevate his game? I can't hold my breath.

His #s arent that bad. Even if you dont like the pick, not sure why everyone is acting like he was a terrible qb. Last year he completed 65% of his passes and threw for 2400 yards while playing injured most of the year and behind a bad o line. His #s are far better than Jake Locker's were out of college.

He's a QB in an NFL draft, he's the new 'shiny thing' that everyone must have or else we 'lose' the post draft rankings. Just like the slew of QBs that were in last year's draft, and just like the slew of QBs that will be in next year's draft. The biggest difference is that the rest of the league thought so highly of this guy that they didn't draft him. If that's not a ringing endorsement I don't know what is..

You can say that about a lot of players that end up being good. The draft isnt an exact science, plus, QB isnt a position that every team is going to draft high so watching teams with established QBs passing on him in the first doesnt mean much.

I'm totally fine with this pick. Doesn't remind me of Locker at all, as Locker was shifty. Levis is stiff and will run you over.

Hopefully he has the tools around him to succeed, as he does have the tools to be a Daniel Jones type QB.

When do you know which route to go?

it’s rhetorical but that’s what makes being a GM so difficult.
He’s taking the chance on Levis vice the unknown of next year.

I think overall we’re in agreement that there are more holes to fill.
I think the strong arm, gunslinging style may be reason for a little excitement. he could be terrible, but that’s not really a QB style the titans have ever had, maybe Collins.
Yea, it's not easy. That's why crappy GMs are still millionaires, but my take... When you have the chance to draft a Bryce Young or CJ Stroud without giving up your future, you take it. Maybe also when an Anthony Richardson fall to you late, but not to trade up for MAYBE the 4th best option. Even the top prospects are gambles, so why trade up?, but at least those top talents have the stats to back it up.
OR- if your team is 10-6, and 11-5 with bad QB play, and you have plenty of talent on rookie contracts, then buy your shot with an established QB or "gamble" with a guy like Tanny that doesn't cost much.

For the record I never got the hype on Willis pre-draft, but I actually liked that we traded down, and were then in a position to get him. My thought is more picks is more scratch offs. Let's see which ones hit. The more picks also means the cheaper your cap hit is because you don't have to fill your roster with expensive average starters.

In all seriousness, how many trade ups for a QB work? Mahomes? Who else? Not Goeff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Um... clearly not a "bona fide first round QB". "Literally" a second round QB. A lot of QB needy teams passed on him easily.

And we did give up our third round pick.

Josh Rosen WAS a bona fide first round QB, and he was so good the Cardinals drafted another bona fide first round QB just 1 off-season later. The absolute best thing an NFL team can do is have a team already assembled to drop a QB into. We are not close to that offensively.

ANother receiver would be nice for sure, but just like we can ask who the qb "is going to throw it to", we can also ask who is going to be throwing to the receivers, and Malik certainly didnt do anything to make anyone think he is the guy going forward. We also have to be realistic, this is a team with a lot of needs, and they arent going to be able to fill them all in this draft. If Levis works out this ends up being a steal, if he doesnt work out it sucks, but I dont necessarily think it is a huge set back.
Tannehill. Ryan Tannehill would be throwing them the ball in 2023. We shore up the OL (JRobs biggest issue) to help keep Tanny on his feet. That gives you shot. Sort the QB next year.. either we sucked and get to draft a top guy next year, or we find a FA, or maybe even Tanny comes back for cheap is he earns it.

Yea, it's not easy. That's why crappy GMs are still millionaires, but my take... When you have the chance to draft a Bryce Young or CJ Stroud without giving up your future. Maybe also when an Anthony Richardson fall to you late, but not to trade up for the MAYBE 4th best option. Even the top prospects are gambles, so why trade up, but at least those top talents have the stats to back it up.
OR- if your team is 10-6, and 11-5 with bad QB play, and you have plenty of talent on rookie contracts, then buy you shot with an established QB or "gamble" with a guy like Tanny that doesn't cost much.

For the record I never got the hype on Willis pre-draft, but I actually liked that we traded down, and were then in a position to get him. My thought is more picks is more scratch off. Let's see which ones hit. The more picks also means the cheaper your cap his is because you don't have to fill your roster with expensive average starters.

In all seriousness, how many trade ups for a QB work? Mahomes? Who else? Not Goeff.
I’d have to look it up on how many QBs were traded up for.
I also don’t know when Richardson’s potential surpassed Levis’s. I know the hype train had Young and Stroud (both of which I don’t think are the “Andrew Luck” some have thought) but if the trade is the issue or if Hooker was the pick people wanted, I’d understand more of the distaste.
The trade wasn’t bad at all. I’d also understand more if the argument was that we have way bigger needs, shouldn’t be wasting picks on a QB.
I don’t really get the significance of the 2024 draft and waiting.

Like the pick. We need an infusion of positive energy and he gives it. Now we butter our bread on his success or failure. We are still a .500 team so unlikely we could get a QB next year anyway.

I didn't see anyone remotely close to an AJ brown (or a Metcalf, or a deebo) in this draft at all. Let alone the ones left.

Really? There was literally a 220lb WR from Ole Miss that we bypassed on our way to trip over ourselves by drafting a position we literally didn't need.

Tannehill. Ryan Tannehill would be throwing them the ball in 2023. We shore up the OL (JRobs biggest issue) to help keep Tanny on his feet. That gives you shot. Sort the QB next year.. either we sucked and get to draft a top guy next year, or we find a FA, or maybe even Tanny comes back for cheap is he earns it.

There is no guarantee you shore up the QB position next year. It's not like great QBs are always on the market, Tannehill is coming off an injury and isnt getting any younger, and I dont think the Titans are going to be bad enough to get Caleb Williams or anyone close to him. But if they are that bad, they can still take that guy if they want to. It would be easier to sign a top tier FA receiver next year than it would be a QB. If this team was going to compete for a SB this year, I would agree with you, but I highly doubt they are.

Ran was on the staff who evaluated and picked Purdy as last pick in the draft last year…lets hope he hit another one here.
He was also on the staff that gave up a lot and traded up for Lance. Not sure one has more weight than the other. We just don't know.

Only thing is we wait and see and I would be a lot more comfortable if we had an Andy Reed, Kyle Shanahan, or Sean McVay to develop him

He was also on the staff that gave up a lot and traded up for Lance. Not sure one has more weight than the other. We just don't know.

Only thing is we wait and see and I would be a lot more comfortable if we had an Andy Reed, Kyle Shanahan, or Sean McVay to develop him

In fairness, we dont really know about Lance since he got injured so early last year and hasnt really played much.

The had "no talent' around him excuse needs to go. We've been using it for too long. Great QBs elevate the players around them. Sure it doesn't hurt to Chase, but most QBs have to make the most with non-future NFL players.

Yea, hopefully he becomes the next Josh Allen, but damn, he's more likely to be the next Jake Locker. Even if he does have the potential to boom, do you really have confidence in our coaching to elevate his game? I can't hold my breath.

Jake Locker could have been very good. Injuries ended him. Are you saying Levis will be injury prone?

I’d have to look it up on how many QBs were traded up for.
I also don’t know when Richardson’s potential surpassed Levis’s. I know the hype train had Young and Stroud (both of which I don’t think are the “Andrew Luck” some have thought) but if the trade is the issue or if Hooker was the pick people wanted, I’d understand more of the distaste.
The trade wasn’t bad at all. I’d also understand more if the argument was that we have way bigger needs, shouldn’t be wasting picks on a QB.
I don’t really get the significance of the 2024 draft and waiting.
That's exactly my point. Take a WR or try to trade back.

It's pick 52 and Hooker is on the board still. There's a chance Levis would have also kept sliding. If a team really wanted Levis, and lost him to us, they would probably trade up for Hooker since there's not much after him. Just speculation though. No way we know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back