Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be easy to blame this epic collapse on 33 players being placed on IR and a good not great roster, but ultimately this 100% falls on Vrabel for sticking with dud coaches like Downing and Carter and obviously inferior players like Daley and NWI. I hope we bring in a new GM that isn’t afraid to tell Vrabel “Cody Hollister is leaving, if you don’t like that, you can leave with him.”

So in all the discussion of Vrabel being fired, which I feel would be a mistake, the most impactful change for this team will be the GM hire. I have zero clue about personnel people but they better come from a team that has shown success in the draft and on the field. This is the move that has me more concerned than anything right now.

And I still believe if we had been healthy the entire year, like the top 3 teams, we would have outright won the South.

Therefore my top 5 moves at this moment are:

GM
OC
OLC
Strength/Conditioning Staff
QB (sign Dobbs as #2)

Off-Season Plan:

Team FAs:
Resign the following;
Davis
Hooper
Long
Tart
Walker
Let the rest walk

FA's:
Brady (I think he would want to come play for Vrabs)
LG

Cuts:
Lewan
Cunningham
Tannehill (if Brady is signed)
Woods (not worth 14 mil next yr)
Dupree (Not worth almost 20/yr and we need cap space)

Draft (In order of importance):
OT
CB
WR
ILB
OLB
K

why in the world would Brady want to come to the dumpster fire that is Tennessee? He would be better off staying in Tampa

this is what needs to be done for me to consider the offseason a success.
1. Fire Downing and Oline coach. Bring in outside talent with a different philosophy.
2. Resign Davis and have Lewan take a pay cut or release him. (Oline should be, Lewan w/ 1st round draft pick as LT, Raydunz LG, Levin as Center, Davis RG, NPH RT.
We’d only have to spend one draft pick on o line.

this would be a start

In almost every draft I want to trade the first round pick anyway. So for me it is value of the pick, not the player we pick. Get the best trade possible and hope to find the right players in the 2nd round and later.
I agree with this UNLESS a kearse is right there to be taken... cause K90s are not available in second round

BUT has to be plan going into draft so teams know you are wanting to deal otherwise it is the lame-O robinson 'gotta find a dance partner with a 5 minute clock ticking' or WTFever he said about never trading down

this is what needs to be done for me to consider the offseason a success.
1. Fire Downing and Oline coach. Bring in outside talent with a different philosophy.
2. Resign Davis and have Lewan take a pay cut or release him. (Oline should be, Lewan w/ 1st round draft pick as LT, Raydunz LG, Levin as Center, Davis RG, NPH RT.
We’d only have to spend one draft pick on o line.

this would be a start
soild plan sadly podcastboi will 100% go down for season game 1 - 100%

so your rookie LT will be starting week 2

listened to Titans Talkback postgame last night... a tad extra suffering to end 2022 season

anyways Dyson said he expects mw7 to be vastly improved with OTAs and full camp ect... especially considering T17 recovering & he sees no reason not to keep Dobbs cause Titans need at least 2 arms in offseason anyways

looks like Titans have a QB battle just not the ones the haters were hoping for

If I woke up Monday and Vrabel was fired, I wouldn't mind. He's probably hit his ceiling. He's been our coach for 5 years and we have 2 playoff wins to show for it.

Almost every recent super bowl winning head coach got their first super bowl within 5 years of coaching that team.

Sean McVay - 5 years
Bruce Arians - 2 years
Andy Reid - 7 years
Bill Belichick - 2 years
Doug Pederson - 2 years
Gary Kubiak - 1 year
Pete Carroll - 4 years
John Harbaugh - 5 years
Tom Coughlin - 4 years
Mike McCarthy - 5 years
Sean Payton - 4 years
Mike Tomlin - 2 years
Tony Dungy - 5 years
Bill Cowher - 14 years
Jon Gruden - 1 year

You can keep going back and the trend continues (Mike Shanahan 4 years, Dick Vermeil 3 years, etc.). Maybe Vrabel will be our Bill Cowher and we will get one 5-10 years from now when we eventually get the QB right Or we're just delaying the inevitable reality that Vrabel won't be joining this list of winners. At least not with us.
Winning a SB is tough. I don’t think there is an expiration for a good coach to get to and win one.

Andy Reid also spent 14 years in Philly. They got tired of waiting, and it took another 7 in KC before he finally got his.

Belichick was fired after hitting his “ceiling” in Cleveland in his first five years. It took him 10 years before he won his first.

Vrable is really good coach, his problem is staff and coaching selection. And not pulling the trigger quick enough when they absolutely suck. Hopefully the way this season went down will open his eyes and he will make changes. If it doesn’t, then no matter how good of an X’s and O’s guy he is, he will never win a SB and it will be time to move on.

I’m just suggesting for who?

The opportunities they’ve had with a top 10 pick (since moving to Nashville) resulted in:
Pac-Man Jones
VY
Jake Locker
chance Warmack
MM8
Conklin
Corey Davis

1/7 and coincidently the one actually traded up for.
Pac-Man did fine elsewhere but his headcase issues were too much in TN
VY, Warmack, Locker, Davis were all wastes
MM8 never could get over a hump and rolled back down the figurative hill with tingles all the way down.
Conklin was a stud and unfortunately the wrong guy to let go of between Conklin and Lewan.

In all honesty, the Titans have very little to speak of from first round picks in general.
Guess I’m crossing my fingers for change there too.

and that is ENTIRELY on the guy that was fired by AAS. JRob’s inexperience at FA, cap management and drafting proved detrimental to the past run. I don’t hate JRob, think he’s a genuine dude, and hope he’s learned that his actions were not acceptable for fielding a contender. I’m behind AAS on the new GM search. MUST get this right. We’ve got 4 years to put together a contender to show off the new stadium.

Just heard on ESPN game day countdown that some are speculating that AAS may just clean house.
Question: who out there would be a better HC for our team?
That said, we definitely need a change in Offensive philosophy. I don’t think a cha he in HC is necessarily to have a change in philosophy. But they team is definitely built for the way Vrabel want to play football.

Just heard on ESPN game day countdown that some are speculating that AAS may just clean house.
Question: who out there would be a better HC for our team?
That said, we definitely need a change in Offensive philosophy. I don’t think a cha he in HC is necessarily to have a change in philosophy. But they team is definitely built for the way Vrabel want to play football.
To change our offensive philosophy you have to fire Vrabel because it is his philosophy after all.

Said this on a different thread.

Art Smith ran Mike Vrabel's offense to a top five Offense a few years ago while Todd Downing is running the same offense to dead last in the league.
I still would be more than Okay to move on from a good amount of the coaching staff such as Todd Downing and Keith Carter to name a few.

Art Smith ran Mike Vrabel's offense to a top five Offense a few years ago while Todd Downing is running the same offense to dead last in the league.
I still would be more than Okay to move on from a good amount of the coaching staff such as Todd Downing and Keith Carter to name a few.

This is the only point I think that works in Downing's favor, Art had more talent to work with on offense. The OL was better at pass blocking, but they were great as run blockers. At the same time, the OC is going to look good when Henry goes out of this world and runs for 2,000 with over 5 ypc and Tannehill has career years. People repeatedly criticized Art Smith's playcalling when he was OC as well.

It's also important to note that this run first conservative offense has fizzled out consistently in the playoffs. Vrabel hasn't won a playoff game since the 2020 playoffs and is overall 2-3 at this point.

As for this season, ending the season on a 7 game losing streak and with the Titans looking completely inept on offense for basically the entire season should give AAS some pause as to whether she keeps him. It's very likely Vrabel has hit his ceiling and one cannot ignore that he was brought in because Mularkey hit his ceiling with a playoff win and being ousted in the divisional round. In my mind, Vrabel came in with much higher expectations as he didn't have to help rebuild this team from being completely inept, it was already done for him. All he had to do was make the jump to elite. Debatable as to whether that has happened under his 5 year tenure.

That is so misleading... Art benefited from the right timing with Henry and Tannehill. He was calling the exact same BS as Downing is. The same crappy routes all bunched together, the same runs on first down on almost every single play, the same screen passes, the same 4 yard passes on 3rd and 9s, the same yanking Henry on 3rd downs and 2 minute drills, etc..... Go back and read the game threads, we were all saying the exact same thing about his playcalling as we are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back