Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vigsted said:
Yes, Chow did utilize his personnel. How else do you explain the fantastic season by the TE's. The problem offensively was mostly due to a veteran O-line underperforming.

Schwartz on the other hand has had several years to implement his system and half of the players (12) have had 3 or more years experience with it, 8 were second year players and 5 were rookies (including KVB).
In the starting lineup the distribution was 6 players with +3 years experience, 2 with 2 years and 3 rookies (KVB included). You'd expect them to perform better.

exactly - understated but you nailed it (I would have mentioned skirt wearing, backward dancing girly men, but your way is more precise - lol)

Jwill1919 said:
I don't understand you at all.. You defend Schwartz all the time for not having the talented players and say that once he gets talented players, that he will make it work, and then you criticize Chow because he didn't lead the league offensively his FIRST year as a Pro coach. Isn't this some serious hippocracy? Blame the recievers for not catching the ball, blame McNair for not having any rhythm in the passing game due to not practicing, and blame Schwartz for not utilizing his players correctly. Crap, i'll make it all work once I win the lottery, but until then, I'm going to make due with what I have and not use excuses like "I don't have any talented players". That's just a total cop-out, because we know there is some talent on this team defensively, it just isn't being developed.

Now I don't think Chow lit the world on fire, but let's see, CB is a skirt-wearing teenage girl, Travis Henry missed 4+ games due to drugs, McNair is the Allen Iverson of the NFL(refuses to practice[not badmouthing AI because he has the biggest heart in the NBA]and doesn't produce like he would if he did practice) Drew Bennett missed a couple of games with surgery, and the other recievers were rookies. I'm not making excuses for Chow, but in my opinion he did a lot better job coaching up the Offense than Schwartz did coaching up the D in just his first year. No significant injuries to this D and they still look like the core hasn't improved in 4 years.:sad2:

You can badmouth MsTitan all you want for being a girl/woman, but realize that the one person you are defending the most is the one who has turned the identity of this defense into one as well(girl).:grrr:

THe defense was younger and less proven than the offense. I dont understand how you can defend chow and criticize Schwartz. Unless Chows ggoal was to break the record for TE receptions, then something wasnt working. Now I agree, I think a lot of that is due to Mcnair not being on the same page as the young receivers, and our O line not being very good which limited our running game.

But, if your going to give Chow a pass because of rookie WRs then why not give Schwartz that same benefit with rooke CBs?

You talk about the core not improving in 4 years, but this is no where near the same core we had 4 years ago. No Jevon, Robaire, Carter, Rolle, Schulters, Dyson, etc, and those are guys who have left within the last 2 years.

Going into this year I for one, expected the offense to be good, and the defense to struggle, and the fact of the matter is they both sucked and we need lots of personel changes. I would like to see both these coaches with aquality players, and then I think they are both pretty good, at this point in time Chow in no way deserves a pass before Schwartz because Schwartz has had good defenses under him with the right players, and Chow has proven he can get the ball to the TEs 3 yards down the field.

dg1979us said:
Chow in no way deserves a pass before Schwartz because Schwartz has had good defenses under him with the right players, and Chow has proven he can get the ball to the TEs 3 yards down the field.
when? half of the '02 season?

bigtitan53279 said:

Well we went to an AFC championship game, completely shut down Jamal Lewis, held the Pats to 17 points on the road in the playoffs and only 3 points after the first quarter if I remember correctly. Our defense does not have talent, I dont know what you guys are watching to think that any coach in the league could have made this a good defense. Bulluck, Haynesworth, are the only proven veteran players on our D, and Haynesworth has been hit and miss his entire career. Now I know everybody thought that pac man was going to come in and be deion his first year, but thats just naive. We have been a good D under Schwartz, but when the cap is mismanaged as bad as it was here and you lose as many players as we have lost, you cant expect the 85 bears, or anything close to it, out there every game, its not happening.

dg1979us said:
Well we went to an AFC championship game
didnt the raiders put up like 40-something that game?

dg1979us said:
completely shut down Jamal Lewis,
hooray! we can shut down a one dimensional offense with their back up qb!

dg1979us said:
held the Pats to 17 points on the road in the playoffs and only 3 points after the first quarter if I remember correctly.
yep, 3 points in the first half, 14 in the second. once again showing his halftime adjustments are crap.

bigtitan53279 said:

Just look at our defensive roster. 2 seasons ago, only 2 seasons ago, our starters on the line were carter, haynesworth, kearse, and smith. All but one are gone. In our secondary 2 years ago (and even last year but the injuries were ridiculous) rolle, dyson, schulters, tank, only tank remains. Most of these guys were replaced through the draft, meaning, they are extremely young an unproven, and I am not impressed as of yet with how we drafted.

Now, look at the offense. We have lost eddie, mason, frank, and mccarrens, miller, and uhh, thats it. And eddie was washed up and not very good anyway, and frank was on his last leg. So you logically explain to me how chow gets a pass over schartz when our offense is more or less in tact from 2 years ago, with a few exceptions, and the only real meaningful exception is Mason and to a degree Mcareins because everyone else was washed up and on their way out.

bigtitan53279 said:
didnt the raiders put up like 40-something that game?

hooray! we can shut down a one dimensional offense with their back up qb!

yep, 3 points in the first half, 14 in the second. once again showing his halftime adjustments are crap.

NO, you read it wrong, that pats scored two TDs early in the game and then Brady basically tapped out and they got the ball past midfield maybe twice after the first quarter.

Yes, Baltimore was a one dimensional offense that had a RB that was just a few yards shy of breaking the single season rushing record, dismiss that all you want but the fact of the matter is, we stopped it, nobody else in the league did.

And the raiders did score, but we also had two fumbles deep in our own territory right before the half to help them out. And they also scored 28 I believe against the Bucs who had comparisons to the 85 bears and the ravens D as one of the best ever.

dg1979us said:
Yes, Baltimore was a one dimensional offense that had a RB that was just a few yards shy of breaking the single season rushing record, dismiss that all you want but the fact of the matter is, we stopped it, nobody else in the league did.
i've never been a big fan of that 2000 yard season. he had 500 against the browns.
dg1979us said:
And the raiders did score, but we also had two fumbles deep in our own territory right before the half to help them out. And they also scored 28 I believe against the Bucs who had comparisons to the 85 bears and the ravens D as one of the best ever.
didnt the bucs defense outscore the raiders offense in that game?

dg1979us said:
Just look at our defensive roster. 2 seasons ago, only 2 seasons ago, our starters on the line were carter, haynesworth, kearse, and smith. All but one are gone. In our secondary 2 years ago (and even last year but the injuries were ridiculous) rolle, dyson, schulters, tank, only tank remains.
and even with all of those guys, we were a middle of the pack defense.

bigtitan53279 said:
i've never been a big fan of that 2000 yard season. he had 500 against the browns.

didnt the bucs defense outscore the raiders offense in that game?

Give me a break, we shut down their run, the rest of the league doesnt. Make excuses for that all you want, and yes he did run all over the browns, but you dont become a division champion by running all over the browns. They obviously had something that worked, that we stopped, give credit where it is due.

The bucs D probably did have some points in that game. Kind of like, the raiders had points against our O and special team fumbles, but I am sure youll blame that on Schwartz too. But, if you compare our talent to the Bucs talent on D your nuts. We dont have a Warren Sapp in his prime, or a Derrick Brooks in his prime, complimented by Simeon Rice, Barber, and John Lynch. At no point under Schwartz or Williams have we had that kind of talent on D.

Schwartz isnt Greg Williams by any means, but to blame this season on our D when our offense's biggest weapon was rinky dink passes to our TEs is ludicrous, Im sorry, its ludicrous. We sucked everywhere, but I at least expected our D to suck since almost all our starters are gone from just 2 years ago.

dg1979us said:
but you dont become a division champion by running all over the browns.
you're right, you dont become division champs by running all over the browns. you become division champs by playing in the worst division in football that year. they were the only team in that division to be over .500.

dg1979us said:
Schwartz isnt Greg Williams by any means
that's news to me...

dg1979us said:
But, if you compare our talent to the Bucs talent on D your nuts. We dont have a Warren Sapp in his prime, or a Derrick Brooks in his prime, complimented by Simeon Rice, Barber, and John Lynch. At no point under Schwartz or Williams have we had that kind of talent on D.
im not comparing them. you brought up the afc championship game, when we had a "good" defense. i just dont think good defenses give up 40+ points in the game of their lives.

bigtitan53279 said:
and even with all of those guys, we were a middle of the pack defense.

Ya know, all this criticism of Schwartz, but in my opinion its Reese has better have a good draft or I have no problems sending him else where. Fisher has proven he can win with the players, Schwartz has proven he can win with the players, even though you deny that, he has won big games. Its up to Floyd now to see he can get the talent here after he horribly mismanaged the cap.

bigtitan53279 said:
im not comparing them. you brought up the afc championship game, when we had a "good" defense. i just dont think good defenses give up 40+ points in the game of their lives.

Ok, do good special teams fumble on kickoffs to help the other offense to score? Like I said, that raiders offense was a top notch offense that put up points againt the bucs D who was loaded with talent. Honestly, I just think your expectations are too high and you put too much on the coach. If a player misses a tackle, thats not the coach, if the offense turns it over in their redzone, thats not on the DC. If you wanna blame the raiders game on schwartz, then give him credit on the baltimore game, and blame the pats game on the O and the offensive coaching staff, thats all Im saying. Our offense was no better than our defense this year and this entire coaching staff and front office has something to prove at this point, not just Schwartz.

dg1979us said:
Ok, do good special teams fumble on kickoffs to help the other offense to score?
uh, no? in fact, our special teams were on of the worst that year. and proceded to be up to this year, when we finally got lowry some help on the coaching staff.

dg1979us said:
Honestly, I just think your expectations are too high and you put too much on the coach.
i dont. i just want a defense that doesnt average almost 27 points allowed per game. i want a defense with some toughness.

i can handle being passed all over with rookie corners and a saftey coming off of an acl injury. that doesnt bother anywhere near as much as giving up over 170 yards rushing in three straight games. then in the season finale against a division rival and give up 40 points to back ups.

if we flew to the ball and played with heart, i would have no gripes. sure, i'd like to win some games too, but this defense played heartless over the course of the entire season with exception to the ravens game.

bigtitan53279 said:
uh, no? in fact, our special teams were on of the worst that year. and proceded to be up to this year, when we finally got lowry some help on the coaching staff.

i dont. i just want a defense that doesnt average almost 27 points allowed per game. i want a defense with some toughness.

i can handle being passed all over with rookie corners and a saftey coming off of an acl injury. that doesnt bother anywhere near as much as giving up over 170 yards rushing in three straight games. then in the season finale against a division rival and give up 40 points to back ups.

if we flew to the ball and played with heart, i would have no gripes. sure, i'd like to win some games too, but this defense played heartless over the course of the entire season with exception to the ravens game.

If the defense plays heartless isnt that more on the GM and HC than the DC? Its Reeses job to get talented guys in here, and its Schwarts job to coach them. But if Reese is drafting heartless guys then there is no way to expect Schwartz to all of a sudden inspire them. Like I said, we have been a contender under Schwartz, but when cap mismanagement strips him of any resemblence of talent, then blame Reese, who has not drafted well the last few years it seems to me.

hell, i hope im wrong. i hope schwartz is the next coming of buddy ryan. i hope he has the guys fired up next year. i really do want him to succeed. it's nothing personal. i just dont see it happening.

i think his sit back and wait defense isnt what this team needs.

dg1979us said:
Ya know, all this criticism of Schwartz, but in my opinion its Reese has better have a good draft or I have no problems sending him else where. Fisher has proven he can win with the players, Schwartz has proven he can win with the players, even though you deny that, he has won big games. Its up to Floyd now to see he can get the talent here after he horribly mismanaged the cap.

This is another one of my major problems. Reese is a TALENT EVALUATOR, not a coach, he is just supposed to grab quality athletes and players and let the coaching staff mold them into NFL football players by utiliizing their strengths and disguising their weaknesses. Schwartz utilizes only our players weaknesses, like having Tank in coverage and Lamont up in the box? If you have watched the Washington Redskins all year, the only real players they have on D are Sean Taylor and Arrington(who sat for half the year), yet they get the most out of each and everyone of their players. Who is Ryan Clark, I couldn't even name 5 guys on that defense. It's all about maximizing your players production, Schwartz does a horrible job of this(it is in fact his job to put his players in the most opportune positions since he draws up these elaborate schemes[that suck no less])

We DO have talent on that side of the ball, we just aren't realizing the potential due to BAD coaching.

I'm not giving Chow a pass on this season's offense, but to fire someone after one year is not fair. Fire him in year 3, i'm fine with that if this offense doesn't progress. All I see out of this defense is regression, so fire Jimmy S.:hmm: He doesn't have the superb talent he once had, maybe, but these past couple of years could've been his showcase of how good a coach he really is by getting more out of his players instead of consistently getting LESS.

Chow gets no free pass, none of the coaches do, but when is enough? My enough meter is full of getting the ball run down my throat. Jimmy S must like deepthroat movies.:banned:

bigtitan53279 said:
hell, i hope im wrong.

i think his sit back and wait defense isnt what this team needs.

It never has been. Remember the House of Pain. we've always been aggressive, up until the last three years, it gets continually worse too. Breaks my heart being a SOFT Titan now.:sad2:

Well, I went to a local high school game this year and the visiting team's were pretty bad, oh wait you meant pro's right, well never mind.:))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back