Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
The salary cap isn't real. If Jrob wants to add pieces to the defense he will be able to.

We need to add a pass rusher in FA and then go rounds 1 - 3 best defensi e guy available. We need to upgrade this personal if we are going to have Bowen running it full time. Great players may make his trash scheme look better

Personally I want to see us continue to invest in our offense...you have to be dominant on one side of the ball....the chiefs last 2 top picks have been Hardeman and Clyde Edwards Helaire....giving their qb even more weapons....then they drafted a bunch of defense....so go get us another weapon to help the offense control the game....your offense can help your defense out by making the other team be one dimensional playing catch-up

Personally I want to see us continue to invest in our offense...you have to be dominant on one side of the ball....the chiefs last 2 top picks have been Hardeman and Clyde Edwards Helaire....giving their qb even more weapons....then they drafted a bunch of defense....so go get us another weapon to help the offense control the game....your offense can help your defense out by making the other team be one dimensional playing catch-up
The Chiefs were already sitting on a pretty good D and Edwards-Helaire was to directly replace what they lost in Hunt.

I would be more likely to agree with you if the Titans had a middle of the road D. Unfortunately, they do not. They have a bottom of the barrel D.

Dominant on one side is good but you cannot be invisible on the other side.

For the couple of people in this thread that seem to like this, I legitimately would like to know why? I really want to be excited for these hires but I am not seeing it. Please give us a reason or two why I should be panicked and this is a good thing? Continuity?

I don't think anyone "likes" this.

I think some people just don't see any point in getting angry about something they can't impact in any way.

With this "promotion", Titans had better improve drastically on D, or I jump on the fire Vrabel bandwagon.

This has to be the worst coaching move I've ever seen.
I can't for the life of me figure how this bad of a D, with a guy they all admitted was doing the job without the title, could possible have led to even a consideration for the job yet alone actually giving it to him.

I feel really sorry for Thill, Henry and the rest of the O who bust their a$$es to make a top offense only to get let down time and again by this s**t D.

I totally agree. If this doesn’t not work it is on Vrabel and there is reason to fire him.

So let's summarize so we understand...

We wouldn’t pursue Pees, whom the D played well under last year because Vrabel didn't want to bring him out of retirement again.
But he comes out of retirement to work on our former OC staff in Atlanta

Instead we promote the LB coach to DC who didn't get the title and the D regressed under him

Lol
The D didnt just regress, it was historically bad. This is a joke

Remember, we know nothing. How do we know Pees didn’t agree with Vrabel that is was time for Bowen to take over and he would go help the kid in Atlanta ?

In all seriousness.... why do y’all keep ignoring the personnel issues on defense? They weren’t small issues. Bowen might suck. But last season isn’t a fair judge of whether he will succeed or not. With the injuries and lack of talent and depth on defense last season they were going to suck.

Why do some of you just flat ignore that?
The defense was ranked 12th in 2019 and 32nd in 2020.
We lost Casey, Ryan, and Adoree. But gained Clowney & Beasley (underachieved but was there most of the year), King, Fulton, Crawford.
Our whole defense underachieved and regressed in 2020, guys who have been good for years.
I will not subscribe to this fall in defensive production being all on the players.
Coaching was bad, and it just got rewarded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember, we know nothing. How do we know Pees didn’t agree with Vrabel that is was time for Bowen to take over and he would go help the kid in Atlanta ?

In all seriousness.... why do y’all keep ignoring the personnel issues on defense? They weren’t small issues. Bowen might suck. But last season isn’t a fair judge of whether he will succeed or not. With the injuries and lack of talent and depth on defense last season they were going to suck.

Why do some of you just flat ignore that?
It was reported that Vrabel didn't want to ask Pees to come out of retirement a second time

I don’t think people are disagreeing that personnel played a role, it surely did. But, the drop off of “good” players is an indication that coaching dropped off as well.

... and I disagree. Henry wasn’t the same with Mariota. He got a lot better when THill took over. They play as a unit. Not individual efforts. When players are playing out of position, like almost the entire defense was. When you have 1 pass rushers instead of 3 it matters. Do we have great coaches? Bad coaches? I don’t know. We haven’t seen them coach a complete team yet.

We lost Casey, Ryan, and Adoree. But gained Clowney & Beasley (underachieved but was there most of the year), King, Fulton, Crawford.
Our whole defense underachieved and regressed in 2020, guys who have been good for years.
I will not subscribe to this fall in defensive production being all on the players.

The Titans defense was not ranked 12th in 2019 lol and they weren’t ranked 32nd this year. Where are you getting these stats??

2019:
21st in YPG
24th in pass defense
12th in run defense

2020:
28th in YPG
29th in pass defense
19th in run defense

Our defense was not a good unit last year either. They were better on 3rd down and in the red zone but that’s legitimately the only major difference between the 2 groups.

Y’all get confused by the Ravens playoff game and think the defense was stellar last year and that’s so incredibly false.

I will say you could visibly see a difference in game plans from Pees week to week but that doesn’t mean the defense was lights out.

The Titans defense was not ranked 12th in 2019 lol and they weren’t ranked 32nd this year. Where are you getting these stats??

2019:
21st in YPG
24th in pass defense
12th in run defense

2020:
28th in YPG
29th in pass defense
19th in run defense

Our defense was not a good unit last year either. They were better on 3rd down and in the red zone but that’s legitimately the only major difference between the 2 groups.

Y’all get confused by the Ravens playoff game and think the defense was stellar last year and that’s so incredibly false.

I will say you could visibly see a difference in game plans from Pees week to week but that doesn’t mean the defense was lights out.

That difference in 3rd down defense was pretty significant though. From 8th (36.3%) to 32nd (51.9%).

Another big statistical difference was points per game the defense allowed, from 20.7/g in 2019 to 27.4/g in 2020. Obviously, everyone is aware that the number of sacks the team got in 2020 was significantly lower than 2019

Redzone defense sucked in each of the last two seasons and the difference between the two years isn't all that significant (the percentages are about a 1% different).

If the Titans had the same defense they did in 2019 (even though it was average at best), the Titans would have been legit contenders this year. That's really all the Titans need at this point, an average defense.

2019:
21st in YPG
24th in pass defense
12th in run defense

2020:
28th in YPG
29th in pass defense
19th in run defense

Ok we were 12th overall in 2019 and 24th overall in 2020 (combined stats). But historically bad on 3rd down in 2020.

"2019 NFL Opposition & Defensive Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com" 2019 NFL Opposition & Defensive Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com

The salary cap isn't real. If Jrob wants to add pieces to the defense he will be able to.

We need to add a pass rusher in FA and then go rounds 1 - 3 best defensi e guy available. We need to upgrade this personal if we are going to have Bowen running it full time. Great players may make his trash scheme look better
I think we need to continue to add pieces to the O as well. Yes make our trash Def at least to the decent level, but the last thing we need is to neglect our Off and now we score less points while our Def gives up the same amount of points or slightly less than 2020. Solidify the D-line to attempted some kind of pass rush, I dont trust JRob with draft linebackers in the early rounds.

I think we need to continue to add pieces to the O as well. Yes make our trash Def at least to the decent level, but the last thing we need is to neglect our Off and now we score less points while our Def gives up the same amount of points or slightly less than 2020. Solidify the D-line to attempted some kind of pass rush, I dont trust JRob with draft linebackers in the early rounds.
Retaining or replacing CD and Jonnu are the main needs on offense. IMO everything else should be defense.

The insanity of The Titans Organization is pathetic. History repeating itself over and over and over... Always going cheap and promoting within and expecting different results, rinse and repeat. I hate this move. This was an opportunity to bring in a good DC and fix the defense. This sucks

The insanity of The Titans Organization is pathetic. History repeating itself over and over and over... Always going cheap and promoting within and expecting different results, rinse and repeat. I hate this move. This was an opportunity to bring in a good DC and fix the defense. This sucks

Don’t beat around the bush, how do you really feel about it?

I literally believe some of you just make it up as you go along. You know you can google this stuff before you post it right? The Titans had the 27th ranked defense in 2020, not 32nd. They had the 21st ranked defense in 2019 under that God Dean Pees, not 12th. They had horrible personnel and literally dropped only 6 spots and in a year when defense was down across the NFL. The difference was literally 10 yards a quarter. They gave up 359 yards per game in 2019 and 399 in 2020. Man that Dean Pees sure ran a great scheme.

Clowney, Beasley, Jackson, King and Fulton didn’t basically play the whole year.

Clowney played in part of 10 games but was clearly never 100%.

Beasley played in 5 games and truly didn’t play. He didn’t want to be here.

King Played in 10 games and truly was the best of the bunch.

Jackson saw limited action in 3 games.

Fulton played in 7 games

You can subscribe to whatever you want. Subscribe to Better Homes and Gardens if you want but I just gave you FACTS. They are not in dispute. The defensive talent on this team was injured or not there. They cannot be blamed entirely on the coaching staff. Not even close. You take 5 starters off of any defense and they will suck. Regardless of what you believe the Titans D wasn’t that good to begin with under Pees. I have no idea where you got the defense was ranked 12th in 2019. They weren’t.

We better improve on D. Houston is a wreck, Indy will have another new QB and Jags will be sporting Avatar QB. This division SHOULD be ours next year and possibly a couple of years after that if we can keep teams under 24 pts/ game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back