Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
When our defense was as bad it was last year, it is talent and coaching. Bowen did not do a good job last year. Head scratcher to me why he is the DC. This side of the ball needs an overall in roster and coaching. If you are not changing in the NFL you are falling behind.

The way we lean towards the Patriot way, why did we not consider Matt Patricia for DC when he was fired as Lions HC. He was a great DC in New England?
It does beg the question, when your defense is good, is it more the coaching or you have really good talent? Obviously it has to be some of both, but in our situation, I think we can put a lot of the blame on the lack of talent at key spots. Butler was all we had, that was worth a damn, at CB until King came in half way through the season. Our Defensive Line was an abomination overall. You got some plays here and there, between games. Zero consistency at anything other than never getting to the QB and the secondary giving up a large number of 3rd downs.

On the coaching side, I'm not sure if it's how they coach but more of their decision making in games. CB's playing 10 yards off on 3rd and 2 for instance. And I know Vrabes likes to really coach defense, but he never played CB, so his ability to coach that position is limited.

The corner backs playing off ten yards on third and 2, really got me. The only thing our defense did well last year was short yardage run plays.

I’m not sure why anyone would feel widespread player regression isn’t tied to coaching. If numerous players who were in your top echelon of talent all become subpar with a coaching change, then where’s the mystery? Sherlock? Nancy Drew? Scoob? Somebody?

I’m not sure why anyone would feel widespread player regression isn’t tied to coaching. If numerous players who were in your top echelon of talent all become subpar with a coaching change, then where’s the mystery? Sherlock? Nancy Drew? Scoob? Somebody?

Who are our numerous top echelon talented defenders?

How do you not understand that defenses play as a unit and when key pieces are missing the entire defense suffers?

If your agenda is blaming coaching, nothing any Sherlock or Nancy Drew can prove to you is going to matter,

Who are our numerous top echelon talented defenders?

How do you not understand that defenses play as a unit and when key pieces are missing the entire defense suffers?

If your agenda is blaming coaching, nothing any Sherlock or Nancy Drew can prove to you is going to matter,
You are just being silly now. The players who were our top guys who slipped badly include Evans, Landry, Byard... of course I understand that team ball - played it and coached it. It’s just nonsense to say that previously productive players who suddenly weren’t with a coaching change are the main issue. The secondary was missing Jackson, we traded the oft injured and aging Casey, there wasn’t wholesale missing talent. An in-team equivalent is our ability to manage the OL when we lost our LT. Similar situation, but the coach coached up. It’s what you do in the NFL. As an aside, you really need to work on that judgmental aspect to your posts. It’s unbecoming of a rational, non-emotional fan.

Shane Bowen was the biggest issue this season. He’s not even a good position coach. He didn’t develop players and his defense was horrible all season. Our best defensive game was when we he was out with Covid against Buffalo. That alone should show you he is the issue. So of course Vravel decides to promote him.

It does beg the question, when your defense is good, is it more the coaching or you have really good talent? Obviously it has to be some of both, but in our situation, I think we can put a lot of the blame on the lack of talent at key spots. Butler was all we had, that was worth a damn, at CB until King came in half way through the season. Our Defensive Line was an abomination overall. You got some plays here and there, between games. Zero consistency at anything other than never getting to the QB and the secondary giving up a large number of 3rd downs.

On the coaching side, I'm not sure if it's how they coach but more of their decision making in games. CB's playing 10 yards off on 3rd and 2 for instance. And I know Vrabes likes to really coach defense, but he never played CB, so his ability to coach that position is limited.
We also drafted a CB in the 2nd round that had a 1st round grade. I dont think it wouldve mattered much if we had "better" CBs back there with the way Bowen/Vrabel were running the D.
Pass rush wouldve helped and Clowney and Vic were big misses. But no way is promoting Bowen justifiable after what we just saw.
I'm so bummed that they are going to waste our 3 year window with RT, Henry, and AJB.

From Wyatt's mailbag:

I understand the scrutiny surrounding the elevation of Bowen to defensive coordinator based on how last season went. The defense was underwhelming, I know. But keep in mind he was calling a defense for the first time following an offseason with no OTAs, minicamps, and with limited contact with players. The team dealt with a lot of injuries on defense. Yes, the pass rush was non-existent, but let's keep it real here – Khalil Mack and Von Miller weren't lined up in two-tone blue rushing the QB. A lot of Sundays the Titans had practice squad call-ups out there rushing alongside Harold Landry, who was playing virtually every snap. I'm not going to sit here and say Shane Bowen is the next Dick LeBeau or Bill Belichick as a defensive coordinator. He's going to have to prove himself. And again, if Vrabel and Robinson believe in him, that says a lot in my mind. Plus, Vrabel wants someone to run his defense. Bringing someone in from the outside wouldn't have allowed him to do that the way he wants to.

Weekend Mailbag: Jim Wyatt Answers Questions From Titans Fan

That last quote leads me to believe Vrabel may still be very involved with the defense....

Shane Bowen was the biggest issue this season. He’s not even a good position coach. He didn’t develop players and his defense was horrible all season. Our best defensive game was when we he was out with Covid against Buffalo. That alone should show you he is the issue. So of course Vravel decides to promote him.

Uhhh Bowen was there for the Buffalo game. He missed the Vikings game.

Time to do some Floyd Reese style GMing........Restructure, Restructure, Restructure
I was looking into who could help us most. Butler, Jackson, Byard, and Lewan all carry hefty numbers.

Cut or trade Hump, and Vaccaro and we're in good shape.

But thats really a lot to ask so dont expect half to happen.

With what money?
NFL Salary Cap Space | Over The Cap

we have to cut guys not add pricey vets
What are your top cap moves? I'd say cut Butler and Humphries with a post June 1st designation. Then extend Adoree out to save a bit more on this years cap number.

That would get us to about $20M under the cap. Wouldn't really have much room to go out and get any big name FA, but could possibly resign some combination of Jonnu, Davis, and/or Brown. Then spend draft capital on defense.

EDIT: Posted this after you put up your last post - Vaccaro is an interesting name to cut as well since Hooker could easily replace him.

I was looking into who could help us most. Butler, Jackson, Byard, and Lewan all carry hefty numbers.

Cut or trade Hump, and Vaccaro and we're in good shape.

But thats really a lot to ask so dont expect half to happen.
hump and Vaccaro need to go
if we could get 2 first for Lewan, we should trade him IMO
I would think most would be willing to restructure

What are your top cap moves? I'd say cut Butler and Humphries with a post June 1st designation. Then extend Adoree out to save a bit more on this years cap number.
I think Adoree is our best shot at saving some money this yr, but I dont see how he alone gets us out of the hole.

Id anticipate hed gets his 10M somehow over the next 2 yrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back