Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t even know WTF that list is. How do they come to that ranking? Anybody know?

PF (points scored according to PFR) is by default the initial ranking shown by the chart. if you click the other categories, it will sort the ranking by the appropriate category (yards, etc.)

The 12th Ranking is for points allowed (331) for an average of 20.7/g (it's really 20.6875/g)

Just be prepared for more 3rd and 14 conversions next season.

This was literally the first year I had no trust in our defense to make a stop on 3rd and super long. It was so painful to watch how bad this defense was on 3rd and long.

Shame on Vrabel for trying to keep horrid defense together. We clearly should've burned down the barn on this. Had Pees in the pocket and this is the direction he wanted to go?

This move has triggered 8 out of 10 Titans fans. Hopefully Vrabel can prove all of us wrong, but he has an uphill battle on his hands by retaining Bowen.

Not happy at all with the DC/OC promotions.

Then I guess we will see who wins. Personally my position is clear. I don’t like the hire but I still believe the defensive issues were mainly personnel.
There will be a few changes in players on the D in the off-season, there always is. But with the Titans budget, the core will be the same.

We'll see what happens.

Just. Another. Bad. Move.
srxvntafozxteybo5u78

but that bomber jacket ...

The Titans defense was not ranked 12th in 2019 lol and they weren’t ranked 32nd this year. Where are you getting these stats??

2019:
21st in YPG
24th in pass defense
12th in run defense

2020:
28th in YPG
29th in pass defense
19th in run defense

Our defense was not a good unit last year either. They were better on 3rd down and in the red zone but that’s legitimately the only major difference between the 2 groups.

Y’all get confused by the Ravens playoff game and think the defense was stellar last year and that’s so incredibly false.

I will say you could visibly see a difference in game plans from Pees week to week but that doesn’t mean the defense was lights out.
exactly nobody on this site thinks the 2020 Titan D was 'stellar' - period

That difference in 3rd down defense was pretty significant though. From 8th (36.3%) to 32nd (51.9%).

Another big statistical difference was points per game the defense allowed, from 20.7/g in 2019 to 27.4/g in 2020. Obviously, everyone is aware that the number of sacks the team got in 2020 was significantly lower than 2019

Redzone defense sucked in each of the last two seasons and the difference between the two years isn't all that significant (the percentages are about a 1% different).

If the Titans had the same defense they did in 2019 (even though it was average at best), the Titans would have been legit contenders this year. That's really all the Titans need at this point, an average defense.

Defensive PPG were up across the league though. So it’s not an apples to apples comparison.

Y’all are forgetting about the defense during the KC game in the AFC Championship game. You honestly think that defense makes us legit contenders??

Defensive PPG were up across the league though. So it’s not an apples to apples comparison.

Y’all are forgetting about the defense during the KC game in the AFC Championship game. You honestly think that defense makes us legit contenders??

A near 7 point difference can’t be completely explained away by merely stating that scoring was up across the league. The Titans were poorly coached and ran a passive scheme that let teams dictate everything to them, and saw major regressions in basically everyone except for Butler. Injuries piled up and the lack of depth was exposed. Even before that it wasn’t like they we’re rotating players like Landry or Clowney beforehand who played too many snaps.

With the offense the Titans had this season, an average defense would have made them more formidable opponent and a contender. The Chiefs would have been still the favorite, but the Titans wouldn’t have been a pushover. Didn’t happen, and I think by the end of the season, nearly all Titans fans knew this team want going anywhere.

Having said all that, Bowen being retained as DC is a terrible decision and probably will prevent the defense from improving enough to return to a legitimate contender. Maybe the man will improve with a year under his belt and someone like Crennel being brought in as an assistant to help him. He also needs a pass rusher as it wasn’t all scheme. I did notice that in the last few games of the season, the Titans sent a few more blitzes in more unique ways, so some hope.

Something to keep in mind is that the defensive coaching staff as whole is somewhat inexperienced (except for Haslett, who was Vrabels first DC when he was a player), and Vrabel has clearly implemented his version of bend don’t break. An outside DC wouldn’t run exactly what Vrabel wants, so Bowen, a person whose career is defined by following Vrabel, is Vrabel’s logical choice to implement what Vrabel wants to do

Defense is going to have to make tremendous strides next season as the offense shouldn’t be expected to be able to carry this team like it did this season. Without the offense putting up 30 points a game, the Titans would likely have been a below .500 team. Even with the offense, the Titans finished 6-6 after starting 5-0.

Going to be an interesting offseason for sure. Robinson and Vrabel have their work cut out for them. A positive is that the AFC south looks to only have the Colts as legitimate threats.

Last edited by a moderator:
A near 7 point difference can’t be completely explained away by merely stating that scoring was up across the league. The Titans were poorly coached and ran a passive scheme that let teams dictate everything to them, and saw major regressions in basically everyone except for Butler. Injuries piled up and the lack of depth was exposed. Even before that it wasn’t like they we’re rotating players like Landry or Clowney beforehand who played too many snaps.

With the offense the Titans had this season, an average defense would have made them more formidable opponent and a contender. The Chiefs would have been still the favorite, but the Titans wouldn’t have been a pushover. Didn’t happen, and I think by the end of the season, nearly all Titans fans knew this team want going anywhere.

Having said all that, Bowen being retained as DC is a terrible decision and probably will prevent the defense from improving enough to return to a legitimate contender. Maybe the man will improve with a year under his belt and someone like Crennel being brought in as an assistant to help him. He also needs a pass rusher as it wasn’t all scheme. I did notice that in the last few games of the season, the Titans sent a few more blitzes in more unique ways, so some hope.

Something to keep in mind is that the defensive coaching staff as whole is somewhat inexperienced (except for Haslett, who was Vrabels first DC when he was a player), and Vrabel has clearly implemented his version of bend don’t break. An outside DC wouldn’t run exactly what Vrabel wants, so Bowen, a person whose career is defined by following Vrabel, is Vrabel’s logical choice to implement what Vrabel wants to do

Defense is going to have to make tremendous strides next season as the offense shouldn’t be expected to be able to carry this team like it did this season. Without the offense putting up 30 points a game, the Titans would likely have been a below .500 team. Even with the offense, the Titans finished 6-6 after starting 5-0.

Going to be an interesting offseason for sure. Robinson and Vrabel have their work cut out for them. A positive is that the AFC south looks to only have the Colts as legitimate threats.

I’m not sure what you’re actually arguing anymore. I’m not saying the defense was good this year. In fact, I’m saying the opposite. I’m also saying this defense wasn’t good last year which many tend to post like last years defense wasn’t our weak link (it was).

Scoring was up this year from last more than any other season since 1974! I’m not arguing our defense was better than last years defense because it wasn’t.

Let’s not forget why we lost our playoff game this year. It wasn’t due to the defense.

The decline in players in defense started last year. Many just refuse to admit it and consistently point to the 2 playoffs games we won as proof of that. But when you look at last season the titans benefitted from playing some bad offenses early in the year. From the chargers game on the Titans defense gave up 24 PPG. Only a 3 point swing from this season (scoring was up 2 PPG across the league).

I have been saying since week 2 our defense is a problem and pointed to the decline starting last season. Many here told me to chill it was only week 2.

I’m saying I think it’s more of a talent issue than a coaching issue at this point but that doesn’t mean both aren’t at fault. It’s a combination of the 2 for sure. But mostly talent IMO.

Since Tannehill took over as QB the Titans defense has looked very similar year over year:

2019 (starting week 7):
24 PPG allowed
381 YPG allowed
277 passing yards PG
104 rush yards PG

2020:
27 PPG allowed
396 YPG allowed
228 passing yards PG
168 rush yards PG

People are blinded by the playoff performance against NE and Baltimore. We’ve had this issue for a while now.

I wonder if Bowen deleted his social media? I can see some of the less mature fan base really heaving crap at him. If I were him, I surely wouldn’t eat in a restaurant any time soon. Way too much patooie potential right now.

When our defense was as bad it was last year, it is talent and coaching. Bowen did not do a good job last year. Head scratcher to me why he is the DC. This side of the ball needs an overall in roster and coaching. If you are not changing in the NFL you are falling behind.

The way we lean towards the Patriot way, why did we not consider Matt Patricia for DC when he was fired as Lions HC. He was a great DC in New England?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back