Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's an excuse. And under Dirk Koetter? He got the most out of Cameron Brate, that TE with 3 names, and I think he did O.K. with Anthony Gonzalez back in Atlanta. You also can't blame Winston who threw for 5k yards and who knows how many touchdowns. I wouldn't necessarily call the player a bust, but as a first round pick... yea... OJ is a bust because OJ is a bust.

Looking at other recent 1st round TEs I don't think they're worth it:

Ebron- No
Hockensen- ok, maybe
Fant- Meh
Engram- No
Njoku- No

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting. Again, unless someone is an athletic freak with great college production, I think value wise you can get production from a TE in later rounds.
Well, Pitts is a complete athletic freak with unbelievable college production this year. He had 12 TD's against an all-SEC schedule, in only 8 games. He put up nearly 18 yards/catch. He was absolutely unstoppable when he was on the field and the Gators offense ran through him.

He's not one of those guys that's projected to be a great NFL player because of his height/weight/speed, but did nothing in college. He was in the Heisman conversation - as a tight end!

Just because some of the other 1st round TE's flamed out, doesn't mean you don't take a guy that looks like an absolute game changer if he's there. TE is a weird position in that there are spans of years where no top tier pass catcher come into the league. Guys that can break matchups are few and far between, and having one of those players puts your offense in an advantageous position over almost every defense. No one has a defender that can cover a 6'6" 245lb receiver that runs a 4.5 40.

Well, Pitts is a complete athletic freak with unbelievable college production this year. He had 12 TD's against an all-SEC schedule, in only 8 games. He put up nearly 18 yards/catch. He was absolutely unstoppable when he was on the field and the Gators offense ran through him.

He's not one of those guys that's projected to be a great NFL player because of his height/weight/speed, but did nothing in college. He was in the Heisman conversation - as a tight end!

Just because some of the other 1st round TE's flamed out, doesn't mean you don't take a guy that looks like an absolute game changer if he's there. TE is a weird position in that there are spans of years where no top tier pass catcher come into the league. Guys that can break matchups are few and far between, and having one of those players puts your offense in an advantageous position over almost every defense. No one has a defender that can cover a 6'6" 245lb receiver that runs a 4.5 40.
Agreed. Like I said, I don't know much about him since I don't watch the Gators. I'm just weary of taking TEs in the first round given their averages and history/track record. I feel the same way about WRs. For every Justin Jefferson there is a lot more Josh Doctons and Lequon Treadwells. I think you're better off investing for an AJ Brown or Stefon Diggs.

The best TEs in the game right now are a 3rd, 5th, and 6th round picks: Kelce, Kittle, and Waller. Gronk was a 2nd. The Ravnes drafted bust Hayden Hurst in the 1st and Mark Andrews in the 3rd of the same draft.

I agree, if someone is special, I'll trust JRob. I'm just weary of a TE in the first. We have too many other holes to fill. But who knows... maybe this kid ends up being special.

Agreed. Like I said, I don't know much about him since I don't watch the Gators. I'm just weary of taking TEs in the first round given their averages and history/track record. I feel the same way about WRs. For every Justin Jefferson there is a lot more Josh Doctons and Lequon Treadwells. I think you're better off investing for an AJ Brown or Stefon Diggs.

The best TEs in the game right now are a 3rd, 5th, and 6th round picks: Kelce, Kittle, and Waller. Gronk was a 2nd. The Ravnes drafted bust Hayden Hurst in the 1st and Mark Andrews in the 3rd of the same draft.

I agree, if someone is special, I'll trust JRob. I'm just weary of a TE in the first. We have too many other holes to fill. But who knows... maybe this kid ends up being special.
Yeah, TE's have a pretty high bust rate for sure. And they take a while to grow into an every down player. Honestly I would look at taking him as a WR, not a TE, similar to Chase Claypool. He was a TE in college, but has transitioned to WR now. Pitts is an unreal receiver and having him have to learn OL concepts at the NFL level would only limit his growth.

But I guess my original point was really more that I wouldn't consider taking any offensive player until round 3 unless someone absolutely nuts is there. Pitts being there would be nuts to me, so that's the only reason I brought him up.

Corey Davis will be cheaper and I’d rather have him tbh

JuJu had one great season and has been average since, but will get paid somewhere.

Also rumors are he wants to be in a big market, I’m guessing going to the Jets to team up with Sam

Dont you mean with Deshaun Watson in NYJ?

We could just re-sign Corey Davis. I kind of doubt he gets the big contract some are predicting.

But if he does, there are plenty of quality options in FA as replacements.

I think if we address edge and DL in free agency there's a good chance we take at least one WR in Rds. 1-3. I think that with so many teams loading up on young WR talent last year, there will be lots of WR's that fall this year. SO much depth too. There are 5 WR with 1st round grades and as many as 21 with day two grades! We will definitely reload if we don't sign a top FA WR and address our pass rush in FA.

we cam easily replace CD in the draft
He is gonna be too expensive to keep

There are wide receivers I love. Rashad Bateman seems like a perfect fit here. Amari Rodgers is a mini-AJ Brown. He's built like a RB and is a YAC machine. I love Sage Surratt. And there are lots of other guys that might not fit what we've done, but seem like great players (Elijah Moore).

....but why we acting like we can easily draft a 60 catch, 1000 yard guy? We've basically drafted 1 player in franchise history that has been able to do that.

There are wide receivers I love. Rashad Bateman seems like a perfect fit here. Amari Rodgers is a mini-AJ Brown. He's built like a RB and is a YAC machine. I love Sage Surratt. And there are lots of other guys that might not fit what we've done, but seem like great players (Elijah Moore).

....but why we acting like we can easily draft a 60 catch, 1000 yard guy? We've basically drafted 1 player in franchise history that has been able to do that.

We don’t replace Corey’s stats directly. We replace them (and hopefully improve on them) in the aggregate. Remember we got practically nothing from any receivers beyond Brown and Davis. We just need to increase the overall talent after Brown to make up for the loss of Davis.

One of the famous scenes from the film Moneyball involved Billy Beane revealing his plan for replacing Jason Giambi. He explains that the A's are too poor to find another first baseman with a .477 OBP and 38 home runs, but that the team can recreate Giambi's numbers in the aggregate. The idea being that multiple upgrades made up for one large downgrade.

That’s what I think we have to do.

We don’t replace Corey’s stats directly. We replace them (and hopefully improve on them) in the aggregate. Remember we got practically nothing from any receivers beyond Brown and Davis. We just need to increase the overall talent after Brown to make up for the loss of Davis.

One of the famous scenes from the film Moneyball involved Billy Beane revealing his plan for replacing Jason Giambi. He explains that the A's are too poor to find another first baseman with a .477 OBP and 38 home runs, but that the team can recreate Giambi's numbers in the aggregate. The idea being that multiple upgrades made up for one large downgrade.

That’s what I think we have to do.

I get that I mentioned his stats, but I'm not talking about replacing him stats, I'm talking about the caliber of player (which the stats help demonstrate).

-Corey Davis was one of the most efficient wide receivers in football last year.
-Corey Davis might be the best blocking wide receiver in football and we rely on big run plays.
-We drafted receiver after receiver for 25 years with almost no success.
-No one that we drafted last year did anything.

It is absurd to think that you can draft a couple of Tajae Sharpes and think we are better there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back