Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just some food for thought...

Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day.

Fast Facts

And we’re concerned with Covid because?
1. It’s new
2. Social media makes it impossible to ignore
3. As your numbers show, the vast majority of deaths related to smoking are due to people CHOOSING to smoke.

1. It’s new
2. Social media makes it impossible to ignore
3. As your numbers show, the vast majority of deaths related to smoking are due to people CHOOSING to smoke.
Except more are dying from second hand smoking than Covid.
But yeah, the new thing and media certainly do make this a “more in your face” problem. I’m just showing how this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion.

Except more are dying from second hand smoking than Covid.
But yeah, the new thing and media certainly do make this a “more in your face” problem. I’m just showing how this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion.
There have been almost 41,000 deaths due to COVID 19 in the US so far this year. It’s only April.

There have been almost 41,000 deaths due to COVID 19 in the US so far this year. It’s only April.
I hear ya, and that’s sad for those families involved but in the grand scheme of things, it’s not that outrageous of a figure, especially when compared to those killed from smoking. And by no means am I hinting at a ban on smoking. It’s just insane that we’ve had this country on lockdown for, what 2 months now, for something that isn’t as deadly as what I can get for $10 at Pilot. (Of course there’s other diseases $10 at the back of a Pilot can get you that won’t kill you but lol make you wish you were dead.)

I hear ya, and that’s sad for those families involved but in the grand scheme of things, it’s not that outrageous of a figure, especially when compared to those killed from smoking. And by no means am I hinting at a ban on smoking. It’s just insane that we’ve had this country on lockdown for, what 2 months now, for something that isn’t as deadly as what I can get for $10 at Pilot. (Of course there’s other diseases $10 at the back of a Pilot can get you that won’t kill you but lol make you wish you were dead.)
I get the sentiment, but you should find something else to equate the death rate to. By the way, remember when smokes were around a dollar a pack? Wasn’t that long ago. There’s a reason they’re around $10 a pack now, and it has nothing to do with inflation or tobacco shortage.

I get the sentiment, but you should find something else to equate the death rate to. By the way, remember when smokes were around a dollar a pack? Wasn’t that long ago. There’s a reason they’re around $10 a pack now, and it has nothing to do with inflation or tobacco shortage.
Ok let do heart disease...

About 647,000 Americans die from heart disease each year—that’s 1 in every 4 deaths.

Heart Disease Facts | cdc.gov

What about obesity...

Obesity has reached epidemic proportions globally, with at least 2.8 million people dying each year as a result of being overweight or obese.

10 facts on obesity

Do I need to come up with more examples?

Ok let do heart disease...

About 647,000 Americans die from heart disease each year—that’s 1 in every 4 deaths.

Heart Disease Facts | cdc.gov

What about obesity...

Obesity has reached epidemic proportions globally, with at least 2.8 million people dying each year as a result of being overweight or obese.

10 facts on obesity

Do I need to come up with more examples?
Maybe try a virus? I don’t know, something that actually equates.

Yes, you do, because I can't figure out how some clown who claims to be a doctor doesnt understand how viruses THAT LIVE ON SURFACES AND TRANSMIT VIA TOUCH work.
And I’m gonna guess you’ve never served a day of your life in the military or know anybody who has, otherwise, you’d probably get the “Doc” title.

Avvie is always angry! It’s one of his best traits. As I have said many times, Covid 19 is here to stay. At this point, the hospitals will not be overrun. You can run, but you cannot hide. You WILL be exposed to Covid 19. Except it, and get on with your day

solid point. :biglaugh: I think in the end I can sum it up as ‘I’m over the hysteria of it all and ready to get back to normal life again.’
I get your general point, and of the 40K that have died with an association to COVID, I’m sure that they also count under other illnesses that helped.
I’d be curious to see a number of people dying from strictly COVID.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back