Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subjective.
There are teams with worse QBs than THill, there are teams with better cap situations too.
I suppose teams that have a cheaper “mariota” for example, aren’t pissed because they spent a lot of money on him but they certainly won’t be competitive either.

as I posted earlier, it seems like we have people willing to spend woodside money on QB but forget you’re going to get woodside play.
The argument in that part is how “overpaid” is THill?
how overpaid are QBs in general?
How come none of these complaints came out about THill until after he got the contract? I don’t mean the money either, most of the board here was not just content with the extension but pleased to keep him because of his first 2 years of play in Tennessee.

most of this entire argument is based on the fickleness of 2 playoff games.
Funny how fast people turned on Tannehill. Now they act like they hated him from the start.

I said Tanny was a lateral move from Mariota when we got him. He changed my mind and now I've got to defend him against the very people who were so pumped to get him. Lol

As far as the contract goes, they'll rework it or something before they take a huge hit...that's how it works.

Just for the record, I am a Tannehill fan. I think he mostly sucked last year, but he has been really good for us previously.

Still think it is ridiculous that somehow he has the highest cap hit of all qbs in the NFL though. I like a lot of players, dont mean they should be the highest paid of their position.

He’s the highest cap hit because JRob is on the fence with him now. Titans could do what a lot of other teams do, restructure again and extend his time in Tennessee pushing his big cap hit out further but, by letting him play his contract out, the big cap hit many other QBs have later in their contract, is just on him this year.
This is without a doubt his prove it year. He doesn’t play well, the writing is there, he’s gone.

That doesnt make sense because teams are manipulating the caps constantly but not one other single team in the entire NFL can say..

we have the highest cap hit

on a qb

in the entire league

only the Titans can say that.

So explain to me how 31 other teams cannot say it, even though there are teams who manipulate the cap every single season.
I'm confused by your confusion. Ok, I'll explain... 31 other teams cannot say that, because we restructured Tannehill's contract last year by $20M+ (whatever the number was), "manipulating" the cap. That's a lot. That made room to get one of the highest paid WRs in the league.
31 other teams also can't say that their starting playoff caliber QB only had a cap hit of $11M last year. That's what happens when you restructure a contract. You clear up space in the current year, but push the hit into the future. years.

And your solution, apparently seems to be that you want them to do it again? To "manipulate the cap"? What you're saying you want the Titans to do (and fire someone over) is exactly what they've already done and why Tanny has the highest cap hit. So which one would you prefer? Can't have both. Which other Titans player would you like to have the highest cap hit at their position next year?
We already restructured Byard (again), so he'll be at the top of his list in 2023.

When we resigned Tannehill, his cap hit was only $22M because we also wanted to pay Henry. When we first traded and signed him, I think his cap hit was like $3m. All in all, given what new contracts are going out, what we've paid for our QB has been a great deal.

ok, then if that is what happens

give me an example of a team that has the highest qb hit in the NFL with a qb like Ryan Tannehill....

I wont hold my breath, because only Tennessee has that problem.
Kirk Cousins, Jimmy G, and Jared Goff have all been in the top 5 of that list. Rivers was 5 the year with the Colts.

Jacoby Brissett was 13th once.

Just for the record, I am a Tannehill fan. I think he mostly sucked last year, but he has been really good for us previously.

Still think it is ridiculous that somehow he has the highest cap hit of all qbs in the NFL though. I like a lot of players, dont mean they should be the highest paid of their position.
Highest cap hit doesn't mean highest paid.

Kirk Cousins, Jimmy G, and Jared Goff have all been in the top 5 of that list. Rivers was 5 the year with the Colts.

Jacoby Brissett was 13th once.

Highest cap hit doesn't mean highest paid.
What really needs to be looked at is the guaranteed money. 27 million of his contract next year is not guaranteed. His cap hit if cut after June 1st next year is only 9 million. So I'm going to assume this coming season will be his last.

What really needs to be looked at is the guaranteed money. 27 million of his contract next year is not guaranteed. His cap hit if cut after June 1st next year is only 9 million. So I'm going to assume this coming season will be his last.
Which is why I think they are serious about drafting a QB.

Titans better go WR 1st round now - this hopefully cements it. Hopefully one of those top 5 studs drop that far to 26 though. Probably not all that likely?
I feel like there are 7 studs. Wilson, London, Williams, Olave, Burks, Watson and Moore. That’s where my dividing line is to group 2.

Which is why I think they are serious about drafting a QB.
I feel the same way. Not sure who will be available. I think Corral and Howell are good possibilities of being around when we pick. Personally I hope we somehow get a second without trading back, so we can draft Howell in the second and get a wide receiver in the first

I feel the same way. Not sure who will be available. I think Corral and Howell are good possibilities of being around when we pick. Personally I hope we somehow get a second without trading back, so we can draft Howell in the second and get a wide receiver in the first
How would we get a second without trading back?

IMO if you draft Corral or Howell then you are not only getting rid of Tanny but are also saying goodbye to the KING. Neither of those guys took any meaningful snaps from under center. They are totally RPO style QBs. Our offense is based off of the ground and pound and play action from under center...I don't think that Vrable is ready to move on to an RPO based system.

I think this yr will be very telling for both Henry and Tanny. Can Tanny be more efficient and avoid the INTs and can Henry bounce back from his injury. If they both have good years then I could easily see them both getting extensions after the season to lower their cap hit in 2023 and more easily allow us to sign Brown and Simmons to big deals.....if Tanny has a bad yr then you look to move on and do what you can to get a franchise QB.

But this year you do what you can to help Tanny and Henry.

How would we get a second without trading back?
yep kinda a head scratcher....only thing I could see would be to give up next yrs 1st which I wouldn't be willing to do...

also you don't take WR in the 1st and then trade next yrs 1st to get a QB in the 2nd rnd because you miss out on the extra contract years that the 1st rnd gives you. Just draft your QB in the 1st

You can't under value those extra yrs and that is why I only trade back into the 2nd rnd if someone is willing to overpay and all my guys are already off the board.

Even if we traded our 3rd and the rest of our draft it wouldn't even get us up into the 2nd rnd per the draft value charts...so it would take future draft capital to make that move
I was just about to post this...our 3rd, 4th and 5th are only worth 200 points...not sure trading our entire 2022 draft to move into the bottom of the 2nd is worth it...the Julio trade looks really bad now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back