Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man this doesn't make any sense to me. 28 year old bruiser, coming off his first significant injury and we further commit to him for no reason whatsoever. Why?

Now if he looks cooked this season, we're stuck with him rather than having an easy out. What good does this do us.

By far the best players the Titans have had in years and you're worried about if they can dump him for cheap? He earns his money.

I don't anticipate Henry looking "cooked". He's the type that will be motivated by last year's injury and has probably been working harder than ever. Unless his foot falls off, I think he'll be just fine.

This hurts the Titans Cap for 2023 and only helps for this season.

I said it when he got his "big" contact and mentioned it again last year. We had to extend him this offseason or give him a raise. His 4 year deal was really only 2 years, and for just a little bit more than the franchise tag. Years 3 and 4 were never gonna happen. Just image and salary cap magic in my opinion.

I thought since he got injured, maybe I'd be wrong. But I'm actually happy they're doing this. Well deserved and the Titans are doing the right thing. We rode him into the ground at a discount. Now let's just hope he's fully recovered and with fresh legs.

By far the best players the Titans have had in years and you're worried about if they can dump him for cheap? He earns his money.

I don't anticipate Henry looking "cooked". He's the type that will be motivated by last year's injury and has probably been working harder than ever. Unless his foot falls off, I think he'll be just fine.
Ok sure. But what if he is cooked? Then we just gave him a raise and handcuffed ourselves to him for literally 0 reason.

Henry has given his all to this franchise without a peep of being a diva. He's been way underpaid just based on that alone.

We're not going to see a RB like him for a very long time. I personally have appreciated everything his done for this franchise on and off the field.

Going to be very interesting to see how he bounces back this year. I personally think he's going to be the same beast with maybe just a slight drop in production.

Ok sure. But what if he is cooked? Then we just gave him a raise and handcuffed ourselves to him for literally 0 reason.

Maybe they appreciated him being an absolute beast for the last 2 1/2 seasons and believe he'll continue to do so.

Dude has been a freak athlete all his life... Even if he's half the RB he has been he'd be worth keeping around for 2 seasons so not really "handcuffed" unless he absolutely falls off a cliff. (Which there's no reason to believe he will)

Maybe they appreciated him being an absolute beast for the last 2 1/2 seasons and believe he'll continue to do so.

Dude has been a freak athlete all his life... Even if he's half the RB he has been he'd be worth keeping around for 2 seasons so not really "handcuffed" unless he absolutely falls off a cliff. (Which there's no reason to believe he will)
There's nothing but reasons to expect him to fall off a cliff. Coming off a major foot injury. 28. Not a great blocker or receiver. How many backs are still elite after 28 regardless of injury? Very very few. And furthermore we gain nothing by doing this.

There's nothing but reasons to expect him to fall off a cliff. Coming off a major foot injury. 28. Not a great blocker or receiver. How many backs are still elite after 28 regardless of injury? Very very few. And furthermore we gain nothing by doing this.

No doubt that Henry would have had his 3rd straight rushing title without the injury... So even if he had a bad season this year, you think it would be time to dump him?

Even if he isn't elite, I don't see the Titans wanting to cut him by next year so there's really no harm in giving him this raise. Appreciation for how he's played plus a little assurance that he'll be around at least til the end of the contract.

No doubt that Henry would have had his 3rd straight rushing title without the injury... So even if he had a bad season this year, you think it would be time to dump him?

Even if he isn't elite, I don't see the Titans wanting to cut him by next year so there's really no harm in giving him this raise. Appreciation for how he's played plus a little assurance that he'll be around at least til the end of the contract.
He would've led the league in rushing but also would have had the most carries of all time....he was averaging 4.3 YPC....the same as donta foreman. This is a mistake any which way you look at it. Taking on a bunch of additional risk for literally zero benefit.

He would've led the league in rushing but also would have had the most carries of all time....he was averaging 4.3 YPC....the same as donta foreman. This is a mistake any which way you look at it. Taking on a bunch of additional risk for literally zero benefit.
Based on this logic, surely Freeman would have gotten 2K if he was given a full season.
You’re making the comparison that freeman and Henry would do the same on this team based strictly on avg and a smaller sample size from freeman.

There's no risk. Henry will play out his contract.

Eddie George had 8 straight seasons with 300+ attempts. Several other greats I looked at randomly had 8-10 seasons of 300+ attempts. But Henry gets labeled as over used with 2 seasons over 300 attempts in 6 years. If the man can be effective on 400 attempts, so be it.

Eddie George had 8 straight seasons with 300+ attempts. Several other greats I looked at randomly had 8-10 seasons of 300+ attempts. But Henry gets labeled as over used with 2 seasons over 300 attempts in 6 years. If the man can be effective on 400 attempts, so be it.
Let's just revisit this thread at the end of the season and see

Also Eddie George never average over 4ypc after his age 27 season so great example there bud. Thanks for proving my point.

Also Eddie George never average over 4ypc after his age 27 season so great example there bud. Thanks for proving my point.
Considering EG only averaged over 4 twice in his career, I don't think he's a good example of YOUR point. He was used as an example because, Titans.

But MY point was, Henry has less wear and tear 6 years in than a lot of starting/workhorse RBs would, yet people act like he's going to fall apart from the workload. Or better yet, just because he hits a certain age.

Just looked up a few random backs. Corey Dillon at 30 rushed 345 times for 1,635 yards and 12 TD. Fred Taylor made the Pro Bowl at 31 with 1202 yards, 5.4 ypc. You obviously also have AP.

Cedric Benson and Brandon Jacobs were never on Henry's level. Deuce Deuce McAllister got injured at 29 and fell off

Those were the closest comps I could think off the top of my head. Pay DH his money. It's $2M we're talking about. Even if Henry took a step back this year, we weren't going to cut him. So it doesn't mater.

Just looked up a few random backs. Corey Dillon at 30 rushed 345 times for 1,635 yards and 12 TD. Fred Taylor made the Pro Bowl at 31 with 1202 yards, 5.4 ypc. You obviously also have AP.

Cedric Benson and Brandon Jacobs were never on Henry's level. Deuce Deuce McAllister got injured at 29 and fell off

Those were the closest comps I could think off the top of my head. Pay DH his money. It's $2M we're talking about. Even if Henry took a step back this year, we weren't going to cut him. So it doesn't mater.
I think it’s important to remember he didn’t get drafted and immediately start getting 300/350 carries. He really only has 3 seasons of being THE guy. Add another season’s worth of carries worth the first 2 years.
It would be more applicable to compare him to where RB were at the same number of career carries, not age.

I think it’s important to remember he didn’t get drafted and immediately start getting 300/350 carries. He really only has 3 seasons of being THE guy. Add another season’s worth of carries worth the first 2 years.
It would be more applicable to compare him to where RB were at the same number of career carries, not age.

Historically, many backs drop off at age 30 but that's more so due to carries/wear and tear for 8-10 years.

Of course there's been quite a few defy the odds and have success after 30 also.

It's not like "oh, it's X RBs 30th birthday, he sucks now" like some people make it seem. lol

Historically, many backs drop off at age 30 but that's more so due to carries/wear and tear for 8-10 years.

Of course there's been quite a few defy the odds and have success after 30 also.

It's not like "oh, it's X RBs 30th birthday, he sucks now" like some people make it seem. lol
Some really think that last point is THE defining thing for RB decline.
You could get a guy to scatter 150 Carrie’s over 5-6 years, turn 30 (or 27 in some cases ) and still decline because 30.

My only concern is his foot. Base of fifth fx caused by stress, even repaired and reinforced with odd plate, still will take the same stress. Foot injuries are hardest to recover. Seems like it’s gone very well, as the Titans have shown they are invested. So that is very good to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back