Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
NFLPA should have a problem with the idea of the Cap dropping then.
If the cap lowers, the current FA class is going to feel it with smaller contracts or no contract.

If a player is asking for a comparable contract to like players of the same position, a smaller cap will either put a limit on that to where they have to accept a lesser contract OR they're asking price will just be too high, and no one can sign them.

Owners being cheap skates.
I think they are boxed in because they agreed to it prior to the season.

1st rd is always good for pass rushers

After that its weak

Dudes in the bottom half of the first round haven't done much the last few years. Montez Sweat and TJ Watt look like home runs. Chaisson, LJ Collier, Charles Harris, Tak McKinley, Taco Charlton, Shaq Lawson, Emmanual Ogbah didn't do much of anything.

Dudes in the bottom half of the first round haven't done much the last few years. Montez Sweat and TJ Watt look like home runs. Chaisson, LJ Collier, Charles Harris, Tak McKinley, Taco Charlton, Shaq Lawson, Emmanual Ogbah didn't do much of anything.

Is there a player we should trade up to get? This draft is supposed to be fairly deep in Edge talent.

None of these guys are sure fire producers at the next level. This could end up being like the 2015 draft where the first round edge rushers never did much in the pros (Fowler, Beasley, Ray).
I’d much rather commit to a double digit sack guy in Free Agency too.

That’s what I thought. There is no Chase Young in this draft?

At the beginning of the year, everyone had Rousseau as a top 5 pick. But since he only played as a redshirt freshman, his stock appears to have dropped. If he is there for us, I don't think we can not take him.

Honestly, JROB has already proven that he and/or the scouting department(s) cannot land great pass rushers via the draft....

There's been 2 DL, DE, EDGES he's landed, and both of them had ties to repetitive/major injuries causing draft stock demand to go down... Harold Landry & Jeffery Simmons

.... He might be better off BUYING pass rushers so he can avoid playing guessing games.

I'd be fine with signing a Free Agent, cutting Vaccaro (saves 5 million post June 1) and drafting our SS for years to come in the first round -- that way if you take an EDGE in the 2nd round and he doesn't produce right away, law of average says your Free Agent piece should help with some of the load...... but that last part we saw last year too, only problem there was NO EDGE taken in the draft..

Here we go. Time to talk about the most important position we need to address this offseason. Last season's attempt to fix the problem failed miserably, but honestly, nobody could have seen that falling apart the way it did.

First, lets take a look at what we have,

Right now we have three OLB coming back from the disappointing group last season: Landry, Roberson and Tuzar Skipper.

Landry is the best of the bunch but regressed in 2020. I think he will be better as a rotational player if we can bring those snaps down, but I just don’t see him as a major impact player.

Skipper flashed at times, but is more of a developmental/depth guy.

Roberson offers little to nothing as an edge rusher. Hopefully, he gone.

So what to do?! I think we all agree the Titans need to bring in AT LEAST 2 impact edge rushers. My guess is we bring in at least one through FA and at least one through the draft.

FA

Some great names are out there:

Reddick, Judon, Ngakoue, Lawson, Vernon, Aldon Smith, Okwara (DET), Watt, Ingram, Floyd, Hendrickson (NO), Dupree, Hyder (SF), Barrett and of course… Clowney.

This is a huge FA class of edge rushers. I’d love to see us bring in Lawson or Watt AND Okwara AND Vernon on cheap(er) deals for depth. Honestly, getting any TWO from the above list would be huge. Who do you like?

Roster Bubble Cut Possibilities: Von Miller, Dee Ford, Chandler Jones, Preston Smith and Carlos Dunlap

Draft

So, we will be drafting Edge in round 1 or 2 and beyond.

Possible 1-2 round prospects right now appear to be: Kwity Paye, Jayson Oweh, Joe Tyron, Gregory Rousseau, Zaven Collins, Azeez Ojulari and Jaelan Phillips.

If we can get TWO FA pass rushers I think we still go EDGE in round 1 and Interior Defender in round two if there is an impact player there (though the impact DT/DE class is tiny).

Because of the depth at EDGE and lack of depth at DT/DE, I could MAYBE see us going DT/DE in the 1st and EDGE in 2, 3, 4.

Thoughts?
With our draft spot and as you said depth at edge and lack of it at dl I have expected dl in the first for awhile now.

Edit: I thought we would and wanted us to go dl first round last year as well.

But what value you getting when starters playing like scrubs?
This guy gets it.
Y’all keep talking about not getting rid of defensive pieces to get new defensive pieces but last years defensive pieces SUCKED.
Butler was decent but how much longer will that last at his age?
If you ask me who would you prefer starting, Roberson and Butler or JJ Watt and Borders, I will take pass rush every time.

This guy gets it.
Y’all keep talking about not getting rid of defensive pieces to get new defensive pieces but last years defensive pieces SUCKED.
If you ask me who would you prefer starting, Roberson and Butler or JJ Watt and Borders, I will take pass rush every time.
Watt was decent but how much longer will that last at his age?

This guy gets it.

I wouldn't mind Watt, but I don't want to give up anything for a CHANCE at him.

1) I'm not sure he'd come here unless it was his only choice.
2) He's had 1 good season in the last 5 years.

Reggie White played well till he was 37. Who knows...
Totally different cases. White never had a decline in his late twenties to early thirties and didn’t have the injury issues. This example is more like comparing Andrew Luck to Tom Brady. If Watt can be productive and come at a reasonable figure based on his last several years, then by all means bring him on. The best option is a blend f veteran FA and young gun draft pick. BUT... JR has shown me nothing in his ability to get the right FA over the last two years ( speaking of edge help here).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back