Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesnt MVP have to make playoffs?
Twice it didn't happen....

Only twice in the history of the award has the league MVP gone to a player whose team did not make the playoffs, the 1967 Baltimore Colts (Johnny Unitas), and the 1973 Buffalo Bills (OJ Simpson)

They left the Oilers. You may not be old enough to remember that. The Texans franchise is a mess. Fans will flat quit going.

We will have to agree to disagree. Watson is a league star. He has leverage.
There was an article I read years ago that the Oilers had a "save the Oilers" rally of some sort at the stadium, 45 people showed. Not 1000's of people, not 100's, barely 10's of people showed to support them.
The fans had zero issue with them bouncing.

Twice it didn't happen....

Only twice in the history of the award has the league MVP gone to a player whose team did not make the playoffs, the 1967 Baltimore Colts (Johnny Unitas), and the 1973 Buffalo Bills (OJ Simpson)
1973 Bills went 9-5
1967 Colts went 11-1-2

If the playoffs were expanded to today's numbers, surely both would have made the post season.

Legs will be around for a while man.

Not the way he uses them to be successful. All the crazy escapes will not be happening for a while. He will eventually start getting hurt more often and it will start making him miss games as he gets older. Whether you want to admit it or not he is going to slow down. As we have seen in today’s NFL a split second is a huge difference. Look at his career sack totals and consider the sacks he got out of of but still got hit. His body won’t hold up if he keeps getting killed like this.

Career Sack totals

Watson 174
Mahomes 67
Jackson. 68 ( 1 less season )
Allen 92 ( 1 less season )
Mariota. 155 in 5 seasons and I thought he got sacked a ton.

For reference the most sacked QB in history Brett Favre was sacked 525 time or 1.7 per game. Watson 3.2 per game.

Watson better hope those legs hold. If not, he gonna get killed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the way he uses them to be successful. All the crazy escapes will not be happening for a while. He will eventually start getting hurt more often and it will start making him miss games as he gets older. Whether you want to admit it or not he is going to slow down. As we have seen in today’s NFL a split second is a huge difference. Look at his career sack totals and consider the sacks he got out of of but still got hit. His body won’t hold up if he keeps getting killed like this.

Career Sack totals

Watson 174
Mahomes 67

For reference the most sacked QB in history Brett Favre was sacked 525 time or 1.7 per game. Watson 3.2 per game.

Vick 2.0

Career Sack totals

Watson 174
Mahomes 67

Watson is getting sacked 2x as much as the most sacked qb of all time?!? That's insane!

Dolphins should trade for Watson. They have a superbowl quality team with no QB, but lots of draft capital.

Tua, #3, #18, and a future first for Watson?

There was an article I read years ago that the Oilers had a "save the Oilers" rally of some sort at the stadium, 45 people showed. Not 1000's of people, not 100's, barely 10's of people showed to support them.
The fans had zero issue with them bouncing.

27 including my father and myself.

Tua is going to be fine. Dolphins are positioned to do well if they draft wisely.
I don't think Tua played all that great but it's way too early to cast him off as a bust selection for them. Specifically, he needs to learn how to throw down the field more.
With that, Fitzmagic may be an expensive backup, but I would hold on to him, they're already sitting on at least a playoff competitive team. Draft some other talent around QB and they may very well be even more competitive.

Prediction..... Eric Beiniemy gets hired in Atlanta as their new HC and the Texans trade Watson and JJ Watt to the Falcons for Matt Ryan and the Falcons 2021 and 2022 1st round picks.

Not really. But I could see Watson end up in Atlanta.

But they didn't
I know, but the reason I pointed it out was to also help prove the point that a losing team is likely to never get MVP.
If the only 2 teams in history to miss the playoffs and receive the MVP were really only non-playoff teams because of the timeline in NFL history, I don't think they make a good case that non-playoff teams should ever expect to really be in the running for MVP candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back